2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

He’s just about washed up with the numerous injuries and drop off in play. I’d rather spend that money and keep Shelby Harris.

I wouldn't say washed up, but yeah his injuries are mounting. However, Shelby keeps improving...and can we say it that Gotsis also continues to take leaps forward? Add in Jones if he is what folks say, can't argue with the Broncos DL prospects.

5 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

He’s just about washed up with the numerous injuries and drop off in play. I’d rather spend that money and keep Shelby Harris.

Thats my point really. He wants to finish his career here and would probably take a huge paycut, he'd have to.

• Like 1

Just finished Avengers and buddies texted me we got Lock.  

I was so upset - until I found out we took Risner first.    I've said a guy like Lock should be a Rd3 type developmental guy in most drafts - so I'm not going to get worked up with our 3rd pick, albeit if he just fell to us at 51, then even less cost, but Day 3 extra picks isn't by any means a big price.

The only problem is if Lock doesn't work, we likely pass for the 2020 draft even if we are in position for an early talent who would be better.   That's why I was so relieved we didn't spend a 1st or trade back into the 1st.   I'm still not a fan, but the risk is about 10x less than what was being considered. 

The insurance is that the disaster scenario is if Haskins is great and Lock isn't, and we pass on a franchise QB in 2020 because we need to see what Lock can do, and Fant takes more than 2 years to have an impact.    But we need 3 different outcomes there to be worst-case.   If both Lock / Haskins have the same outcome or close, then it's fine given we accumulated other assets if both whiff and cheaper cost, and no one will mind if both are successful QB's.   

Fant/Risner are just such a good 1-2 tandem start given that we traded back, I can live with the extra risk Lock presents - so long as Elway doesn't marry himself to Lock's future. 

QB-wise, we'll always look to see how Haskins and Lock turned out when we look back.  But we also can look to Elway going skill/BPA talent with the first 2 picks - and that's a refreshing change we've seen in 2018-19, and a callback to his 2011-12 successes, and away from his win-now, need based early picks in 2013-17.   When it's only 1 year, it could be a fluke.  2 years, and it's a trend. 

Still have some more work to do, but as much as I'm not a fan of Lock - I can get behind not forcing the pick and getting 2 much better non-QB talents IMO first before dipping into QB.   My hat's off there.  

Edited by Broncofan