2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

24 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

He’s...ok. Thought he’d be a priority UDFA. The 4th best WR prospect from Colorado colleges left on the board.

Yeah, honestly, I would have taken Emmanuel Hall or Kelvin Harmon (2 very different type of players) over Winfree.  Honestly knew nothing about him.  Not a huge deal, but dunno that Elway needed to trade up.  I mean, if he's 4th best WR in COL region left on the board...lol.

18 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I guess Juwaan shares the same agent has Philip Lindsay.. 

Day 1 and 2 were great. Today has been very meh.

It's no secret I'd have gone Haskins over Lock.  But I can't argue against not forcing the Lock pick at 1.10, or even 1.32, or 2.41.  Old Elway would have done that.  That's good.

Old Elway was a king of Day 3 and UDFA.  He still kills it in UDFA...but last year's trade back from RD 5 with 2 picks for 4 Rd 6-7 picks didn't work at all, maybe Sam Jones, but that's iffy, and the others didn't make any progress (which is OK, but also means going quantity over earlier picks isn't great either).  Here, he just gave away a pick for Watson, and then he traded 2 picks for a guy that's locally known only.  I mean, Lindsay was a UDFA.  Seems weird to have to push up that much.  Not a disaster, but again, just weird thinking today.  He spends all of Day 1-2 going future-building with 3 of his 4 picks...and then gets a 1-year stopgap 30 year old.  Then goes back and gets a raw project for his last pick.   Craziness.

Risner is an A+ pick.   Fant is a B pick, B+ if he beats Year 3 impact into Year 2, A/A+ if he's a Year 1 impact guy (but don't count on it, literally 1x a generation).   Lock I'm holding off on grading, but he won't ever get a F grade given it's 2.42 instead of 1.10.   Jones is a B pick, will need time, but good value.   That puts us into B+ territory, with Lock pushing it way up or down on his outcome before today.

Today, though, has to be a C/D Day 3 - Hollins gets a B/B+ given Fangio will use him inside, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  The Watson trade is a F.   The last pick is a F given the alternatives IMO.

Still, Day 3 isn't as weighted as Day 1-2, but it matters - so I'll give this a B/B- draft - with Lock's grade as incomplete.  But unlike a 1st round pick, the 2.42 price (and not passing on Risner) means it will never be a F pick on its own, more a C.  It could be a A/A+ if he works out.   A Lock A+ outcome and it's an A draft.  Lock doesn't work out, it's a B-/C type draft, which is a shame, only because we'd have had to nearly whiff on all of Day 3 to make that possible and Lock.  Before today started, that seemed unlikely.

I love that Elway has kept the Day 1/2 changes in approach from last year.  He's back to BPA Rd1, and now skills-based Day 2.  BIG thumbs up.  I just want the old Elway for Day 3 magic - is that too much to ask?  Then it's the best of both worlds.

Still 1 more component where Elway can make this bump in a big way - UDFA, and we know he's great there.  So let's see what happens.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I'm giving this draft a B. I didn't like the Watson trade- just didn't think it made a whole lot of sense. I think Winfree is intriguing, but I also assume we could have gotten him without trading. Hollins was a good pick.

I think Denver came away with a solid group of players again. I will say I'm a bit shocked we didn't take MLB, but it's clear Elway doesn't value the position so maybe it's on the fans to adjust their expectations towards the draft. Fant, Risner, Jones will all be contributors this year one would think. Risner should be an instant starter. Fant is going to play- will he be amazing immediately, probably not, but if they get him on the field in positions where he can succeed, I think it'll be a huge benefit.

As always- going to wait for UDFA, because we do have a knack of finding contributors at that point.

Hollins will be OLB and ILB. Versatile and physical. So we have draft a need

Grade B+ day 1

Grade A Day 2

Grade C+ Day 3

I didn't like the SF trade but if Fangio say yes i agree. I doubt for Winfree that he can top 53 roster. Practixe squad not sure. The Hollins pick is great

Thursday morning if you had told me that Denver would end up with Fant, Risner and Lock without mortgaging a single future draft pick I would have laughed you outta the building. I would have loved to have taken Bush at 10, and I still think Elway got really lucky with Fant. In fact there was a stretch there where I really hated that man lol. But the fact is, in terms of value and potential, days 1 and 2 went fantastic. Risner, I have zero doubts about. But if we hit on Fant and Lock this will go down as one of the most brilliant drafts in Broncos history regardless of the "meh" day we had today. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, French Fan said:

Grade B+ day 1

Grade A Day 2

Grade C+ Day 3

I didn't like the SF trade but if Fangio say yes i agree. I doubt for Winfree that he can top 53 roster. Practixe squad not sure. The Hollins pick is great

I didn't really mind it. Basically he just took two LB's in the 5th that could be used inside or out. One of them is a solid vet, the rookie may take some time. 

38 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Thursday morning if you had told me that Denver would end up with Fant, Risner and Lock without mortgaging a single future draft pick I would have laughed you outta the building. I would have loved to have taken Bush at 10, and I still think Elway got really lucky with Fant. In fact there was a stretch there where I really hated that man lol. But the fact is, in terms of value and potential, days 1 and 2 went fantastic. Risner, I have zero doubts about. But if we hit on Fant and Lock this will go down as one of the most brilliant drafts in Broncos history regardless of the "meh" day we had today. 

Don't forget the 2020 third. 

So, knowing we got the players mentioned plus the pick; How would you figure we could have done it? I've seen mock drafts where all three players went in the first round.

Whether it was luck or genius, somehow Elway did something I would have told you was impossible.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 8:29 PM, French Fan said:

Grade B+ day 1

Grade A Day 2

Grade C+ Day 3

My kid keeps telling me the SF trade was gifted to SF for them releasing Scang to us - remember SF originally said no re his availability.  Not sure how this would have worked but it may have been as simple as Lynch saying you owe me and this was it??  If in fact it relates to this I can deal with it and in reality we all have to deal with it as it is done & now OVER with.

As far as the draft goes who can argue Fant.  It was a position of need and he was undoubtedly one of the BPA with 1.2.  This whole board wanted Risner and Elway did too!  I wanted a QB at 1.1 and even suggested moving up to finally just get one and look what happened - our 3rd pick.  Clearly not everyone loves Lock but as our third pick, really - if you cannot even be optomistic on draft day well then just tune out from the team for a few years.  Review the board and many called for Dramon Jones way prior to his selection - Elway delivered that too.  Hollins was a good pick and again many here see that.  So we couldn't fill everything but we really didn't have that many picks.  Was it a perfect day 3 - no way!  I mean I kept hoping we would get Ridley and he went to the Bears in the 6th who were my adopted team last year (lol - good for them, nice weapon to add in the frickin 6th).  So hindsight makes it easy to complain and see some things but really I think Elway did a great job and clearly showed he is getting it on draft day!!    I would rate it an A minus - we did good.  & again the Harris matter will now get his attention and be rectified - he will be the highest paid Bronco back and he deserves it.  He took a team discount when he didn't have too.  He  is getting on in years and is still great and has at least three years left.  We are not winning the SB anytime soon so do what's right and pay the man - our best corner should be the highest paid on the team - it only makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad, just saw that Ridley went in the fourth - too much alcohol I guess..............

Edited by anewdawn
factual error
  • Like 1

So... not sure if it’s been mentioned yet.

We traded Devin Bush (1.10), Renell Wren (4.125) and Trayveon Williams (6.182)

for

Noah Fant (1.20), Drew Lock (2.42) and a 2020 3rd. 

Pretty good deal if you ask me. If Lock hits that’s an absolute steal. 

• Like 3

Man, you guys were really rough on Elway for that trade ... What is the hit rate on 6th round picks around the league? I would be surprised if it's 10%. We are struggling for special teams players (none of our first 4 picks will help there), so we acquired a proven commodity in that area. I actually liked Watson when he was here and I've no problem with the trade at all.

I am happy for the most part re: the positions we addressed in the draft, but I am worried about our CB depth and that's before any potential trading of CHJ. Our coaching staff are putting a LOT of faith in Yiadom to take another leap this year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Man, you guys were really rough on Elway for that trade ... What is the hit rate on 6th round picks around the league? I would be surprised if it's 10%. We are struggling for special teams players (none of our first 4 picks will help there), so we acquired a proven commodity in that area. I actually liked Watson when he was here and I've no problem with the trade at all.

I am happy for the most part re: the positions we addressed in the draft, but I am worried about our CB depth and that's before any potential trading of CHJ. Our coaching staff are putting a LOT of faith in Yiadom to take another leap this year.

Because Watson will be 31 after this year and signed for 2019 alone its a 2019 only move.   That means there’s a 0 percent return past then.  

The hit rate with a 5th depends on the position but yeah it’s low (20+ percent for  of getting a starter down the road not year 1) It’s just that if you hit even waiting a year it’s a 3-year amazing return.   Those are difference makers.   So the relative ratio is literally infinity.   It may only be 10-20 percent but compared to 0 long term...well you get the idea. 

The other part - team can find ST guys and backup ILB in min wage FA.   And that’s not going to be the deal maker / breaker for 2019.    1 year acquisitions that put teams over the top are always justifiable.   If this was LA getting Talib different story.  It just doesn’t apply here.  

Still, a day 3 whiff isn’t going to make or break the draft.   Far from it.  The Day 1-2 successes have a greater risk / ceiling.   We are spoiled though in having Elway find Day 3 gems.  Trades like that take away that opportunity - and for a rebuilder like we are this year, I get the criticism completely.   Ultimately, the draft will be decided on how Lock works out - but Elway's also reduced the bust risk for the draft as a whole. Now, even if Lock fails, it’s not a disaster because of the price, and if Lock succeeds it’s an A+ draft.   And by passing on Lock 1.10 and 2.41 he prevents a complete disaster result too. 

So even if Day 3 whiffs completely (and I like Hollins) that doesn’t mean Elway had a bad draft, his Day 1-2 value maximization ensures that.   Just seems that outside of Hollins he passed up chances to repeat his Day 3 past success.  We’ll see. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1