2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Man, you guys were really rough on Elway for that trade ... What is the hit rate on 6th round picks around the league? I would be surprised if it's 10%. We are struggling for special teams players (none of our first 4 picks will help there), so we acquired a proven commodity in that area. I actually liked Watson when he was here and I've no problem with the trade at all.

I am happy for the most part re: the positions we addressed in the draft, but I am worried about our CB depth and that's before any potential trading of CHJ. Our coaching staff are putting a LOT of faith in Yiadom to take another leap this year.

I think they also seem to like Devaunte Bausby who they picked up from the Alliance, and has some NFL experience. 

I was with the wife's family on Saturday and had to follow the draft on my phone, didn't get much time to check in here. 

All in all I'm awfully pleased with this draft. SI gave us an A- and they have the most honest and objective analysis from what I have read (NFL.com gave almost every team an A grade 9_9). 

I like the players we picked, all are from power-5 schools and all fill needs for us. Do I wish we would have taken an ILB earlier, yeah of course, but that's never appeared to be a position on which Elway places a great deal of emphasis. Remember Danny T grew into one of the best coverage ILBs in the league and was an underrated piece of the Super Bowl 50 team and he was a day 3 pick. I've heard that Hollis can play inside or outside so there is potential there, as there is withe CFAs we signed. We also didn't trade CHJ, which really makes me happy and hopeful that we can work things out with him. 

I think Fant is the game-breaking TE we need even if he takes a while to develop into a complete player and reach his sky-high potential. I loved the picks Risner and Jones and I've always been higher on Lock than most here and most in the fan base at large. I do like that Elway said the plan with Flacco/Lock is going to be modeled after Favre/Rodgers in Green Bay which seems ideal. The only I wasn't terribly excited about was the WR Winfree but with Matt "pour me another drink" Russell as the second in command drafting a CU player was a certainty. 

• Like 3

The more I wrap my head around it, Elway did such a masterful job maximizing value.

At 10, Bush is the only guy I would have clearly preferred over Fant, nothing happened from 11-19 that made me feel like we missed out. If you can stomach the thought of picking Fant straight up over Bush, it's almost like getting Lock for free and trading a 4th and 6th for a 3rd next year. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The more I wrap my head around it, Elway did such a masterful job maximizing value.

At 10, Bush is the only guy I would have clearly preferred over Fant, nothing happened from 11-19 that made me feel like we missed out. If you can stomach the thought of picking Fant straight up over Bush, it's almost like getting Lock for free and trading a 4th and 6th for a 3rd next year. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

And if you like Haskins, I can see the argument. But I don't think they had any intention of getting a QB, the value for Lock was just too good to pass up. They got a first round talent (and despite his warts, he absolutely is) with what is almost a free pick. Elway has been looking for ways to cheat the process of getting a franchise QB for years to maximize the rest of his roster and he may have stumbled into something here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

And if you like Haskins, I can see the argument. But I don't think they had any intention of getting a QB, the value for Lock was just too good to pass up. They got a first round talent (and despite his warts, he absolutely is) with what is almost a free pick. Elway has been looking for ways to cheat the process of getting a franchise QB for years to maximize the rest of his roster and he may have stumbled into something here.

I agree. I think with our new OC and offensive talent and philosophy, Locks got a great chance of being the most successful of all QB's taken. A couple of years of tutoring in a great offensive scheme should really elevate his game.

• Like 2

One thing I like about the Lock and Fant pairing is that Lock threw for 881 yards and 17 tds to his star tight end Albert  Okwuegbunam over the last two seasons. I love getting Lock in the second because the risk isn’t as high. I was scared to death we would take him at 10 and bypass all the other talent. In the last gm mock I took him at 41. I think we have the right coach to develop him and fix the footwork. It’s an exciting future for this young offense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think this whole if Elway really thought this was his guy he would have taken him at 10 argument from other fan bases is pretty inaccurate. I truly believe Elway learned from last year to stick to his board and if you see a guy slip to a spot that you don’t have to mortgage the future you go get him. I too believe he wasn’t planning on taking a QB in rounds 1 or 2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

So agree with the bold and the last sentence overall.  Agree we stole our future qb!

19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Because Watson will be 31 after this year and signed for 2019 alone its a 2019 only move.   That means there’s a 0 percent return past then.  

The hit rate with a 5th depends on the position but yeah it’s low (20+ percent for  of getting a starter down the road not year 1) It’s just that if you hit even waiting a year it’s a 3-year amazing return.   Those are difference makers.   So the relative ratio is literally infinity.   It may only be 10-20 percent but compared to 0 long term...well you get the idea. 

The other part - team can find ST guys and backup ILB in min wage FA.   And that’s not going to be the deal maker / breaker for 2019.    1 year acquisitions that put teams over the top are always justifiable.   If this was LA getting Talib different story.  It just doesn’t apply here. 

That's assuming Watson doesn't sign for us on the cheap after having a decent season with us. I don't think that's out the realm of possibility. Where did you get the stats from re: 20% of (very late) 5th round picks becoming starters? That seems really high to me.

I don't agree that is a given you can find ST guys and good backup ILB's as easy as you make out. If that was the case, nobody would draft players to be ST'ers. We've been atrocious on ST for a long time now, despite us drafting many LB's in the late rounds. A veteran, established presence on our ST is a good thing in my opinion.

The way I see it is that you get a 95% chance of very good special teams play guaranteed, vs a 10% chance (at very best) of a really late 5th/6th round pick producing anything meaningful for your football team. Seems a very good trade off to me.

Personally, I think this is more about people watching a draft live and getting upset they don't get to see a player picked, as opposed to on the field production.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 12:42 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Man, you guys were really rough on Elway for that trade ... What is the hit rate on 6th round picks around the league? I would be surprised if it's 10%. We are struggling for special teams players (none of our first 4 picks will help there), so we acquired a proven commodity in that area. I actually liked Watson when he was here and I've no problem with the trade at all.

I am happy for the most part re: the positions we addressed in the draft, but I am worried about our CB depth and that's before any potential trading of CHJ. Our coaching staff are putting a LOT of faith in Yiadom to take another leap this year.

The trade makes lots of sense to me. Watson's a solid pro OLB, led the Bronco's in ST stops the year he was here. Losing Shaq and Ray, well, thats depth that needs to be replaced, not in a year or two but right now. Watson does that. 

So, for a 5th rd pick we get a proven ST ace and solid OLB depth. Seems like pretty good return for the pick to me.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, BroncoBruin said:

You're not kidding. But if he actually DID stumble into it this time, I'll take it.