2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

14 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

And you pass on Bush for that?  I could see it if there were no BPA at a position of need but, there he was, staring us in the face.  

Once again, Elway decided up front he was going to do something, and he did it.  Never seems to play the board or the situation well.

the only reason to do this was to give himself the ability to take Locke without “taking him too high”. 

Plus, the Steelers were desperate to move up to get one of 2 Devins, they needed a Shazier replacement above all else.

Book value matters, but also who has the leverage - Elway could have taken the elite difference maker, or he could have taken an offer you can't pass up - but to take a below-value market deal?   Man, this bites hard.

It can still be salvaged if he hits on the picks - but the point about Elway not being able to play the Big Board is spot on.  It's always been a huge weakness - it's why he always spent Day 2 picks on projects who were nowhere near the slot he felt he "had" to spend on.  

If he spends it on a CB, then it's clear he's reacting to the Harris situation.  When CB's year 1 are rarely impact guys if they aren't top of board talents.  If he spends it on Lock, we've been through this before...man. 

One trade won't make or break a draft, it's the picks made that matters, but given the leverage he had, and who was there for the taking, it's not a good start.  Oh well, let's see how this goes.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Just now, DiehardBronxFan said:

At 20, not sure who you get that’s value at a position of need outside of Fant and Bradbury.

The problem IMO is that it starts to make a Lock or CB pick palatable.   When frankly, getting Bush was a top 7-8 talent at 1.10, we instead reach for need with on-board far worse big board talents than 20.    

Once DEN traded out of 1.10, I figured Haskins was out of play.  But if Lock's the pick...holy h*ll.

Yes. I’d bet on it 

Me too. I'm guessing that Elway was targeting either Lock or Haskins the entire time. Once they both made it past the first 10 picks, he knew one of them would still be there at 20. Elway better hope Lock works out, or this will be the end of him.

4 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

At 20, not sure who you get that’s value at a position of need outside of Fante and Bradbury.

I'd be fine with either but would prefer Bradbury. I still think we could get 'em both.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The problem IMO is that it starts to make a Lock or CB pick palatable.   When frankly, getting Bush was a top 7-8 talent at 1.10, we instead reach for need with on-board far worse big board talents than 20.    

Once DEN traded out of 1.10, I figured Haskins was out of play.  But if Lock's the pick...holy h*ll.

I said going into the draft that if they thought Locke was their guy, I would withhold judgement until it plays out in a year or two.  But it would be a horrible indication to me that you liked him, but didn’t like him enough to take him at 10.  That doesn’t say much about your conviction in the guy....

• Like 1

Out of all the guys on Klis' list, only Lock is left out of the 1.10 targets.   Although with a trade back, Fant and the CB's were said to be in play, so that's the obvious plan B if it isn't Lock (please please please lol).   Greedy is seen as a subpar tackler, I'd be shocked to see him go here with Fangio's scheme, he places such a huge premium on tackling / cover CB's.  

I said going into the draft that if they thought Locke was their guy, I would withhold judgement until it plays out in a year or two.  But it would be a horrible indication to me that you liked him, but didn’t like him enough to take him at 10.  That doesn’t say much about your conviction in the guy....

ZERO argument there.

To me if they go CB or IOL, then they felt the value wasn't there at 1.10.  I still have a huge problem in Elway not extracting 2 2nds from a PIT team desperate to move up to get a Shazier replacement.   But at least that shows Elway is trying to build the team at more appropriate value for the position he's targeting. At the very least, that's a step up from the scenario you mention, and it's actually defensible for a team that's rebuilding.  Or if we are 1 position away from true contention.  

Edited by Broncofan