2019 NFL Draft Live GDT - NO SPOILERS DON'T POST PICKS UNTIL TELEVISED

Broncofan

10 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

But that's my argument. There's no way Elway *knew* Fant would still be there; in fact, he probably shouldn't have been. Which makes that trade all the more stupid imho. It's like Elway just traded back for the hell of it, which would be fine if we had at least won the trade. But turning over a an all-pro caliber ILB to a team that's desperate for him when you apparently didn't have any kind of actual plan was stupid. Especially when you factor in that we didn't exactly make out like bandits on the trade value and we totally could have. The fact that Fant fell to us at 20 makes this a lucky pick, not a good one. Elway should be thanking his lucky stars right now lol.

Or, it's just as likely if not more so, that all the work they've put in going through different simulations paid off.

• Like 1

Just now, jsthomp2007 said:

The point is the better teams all have stability at the TE position...probably something to be said for a mismatch that opens up everything else for the WRs and backs out of the backfield.

The point is TE is a development position. You know, like Julius Thomas was. Rarely does a rookie TE actually make a substantial difference in a teams identity. 

The most recently was David Njoku and the Browns went 0-16 and Evan Engram and the Giants went 3-13. Both with one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

As did josh Rosen, Blake Bortles, Paxton Lynch, and a hundred other first round QB washouts.  

Dude.  We get it.  Broncos need a QBOTF. Stop pissing on the Fant pick, when your beef is with the fact that they didn’t take Haskins. 

To be fair, @AkronsWitness is also saying, if you pass on Haskins, you go for immediate impact.  And the track record on TE's making early impact is almost nil for Year 1, and iffy for Year 2.  I believe Iowa's track record makes a year 2 impact safer and Fant's ceiling is so high it's worth it (like OJ Howard).  

Remember that Rosen isn't a washout yet - Jared Goff, Wentz and so many others struggle mightily year 1.  But the flip side to saying keep trying until you hit has real long-term consequences if you whiff Rd1 with your other examples cited, I'm obviously on board with, too.  

Edited by Broncofan

12 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Again, this is pure opinion.  Yes, maybe Denver got lucky, but I doubt they traded back with 1 player in mind being there, if they did it would’ve probably been a reach.

Denver more than likely had multiple players in mind or with similar grades that they knew would be there at 20.  

I get it, I love Devin Bush, I said it before the draft he was my favorite player and I agree that I see him being an all pro, but I think Fant can get those accolades as well.  Bush was the safer pick, IMO, but as freaky as Bush is at ILB, Fant is at TE and he’ll get put on display in this system, IMO

Oh I'm sure Denver had several players in mind. But at 20, Fant was about the only one left who has as high of a probability of being a game breaking type player as Bush. I'm thrilled that we got him. But what if he had been gone? Considering what we actually received for that trade, we would literally have just given up a future pro-bowler for no reason. Elway is the luckiest man alive right now. I will say in fairness though: Fangio knows his linebackers. And his somewhat luke-warm comments about the Devins may have some actual merit. But man, it's hard to see how both of those guys don't end up as all-pros. 

Edited by 1234567

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, @AkronsWitness is also saying, if you pass on Haskins, you go for immediate impact.  And the track record on TE's making early impact is almost nil for Year 1, and iffy for Year 2.  I believe Iowa's track record makes a year 2 impact safer and Fant's ceiling is so high it's worth it (like OJ Howard).  

Remember that Rosen isn't a washout yet - Jared Goff, Wentz and so many others struggle mightily year 1.  But the flip side to saying keep trying until you hit has real long-term consequences if you whiff Rd1 with your other examples cited, I'm obviously on board with, too.  

Yay Yay yay this is it!

9 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

The point is the better teams all have stability at the TE position...probably something to be said for a mismatch that opens up everything else for the WRs and backs out of the backfield.

The point is the Broncos are not a good team and adding a player that takes till at least year 3 to develop is not helping solve any of the other 500 problems the Broncos have. At this point they are just sucking the prime of Von Millers career dry by not trying for a future QB in a division with Mahommes, Rivers, Carr

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Or, it's just as likely if not more so, that all the work they've put in going through different simulations paid off.

I'd like to believe that. I sure beats my current opinion that Elway is a moron who got lucky xD. If TE is what they were targeting the entire time, then Elway is brilliant, and has a HUGE set of cajones..cause that was a dangerous game he just played. But at the end of the day, I have ZERO issues with Fant being on the team. I love that kid 

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

The point is the Broncos are not a good team and adding a player that takes till at least year 3 to develop is not helping solve any of the other 500 problems the Broncos have.

A slow rebuild process and admitting Denver is a couple years away is a step in the right direction for Elway 

• Like 3

Yay Yay yay this is it!

So hear me out - the flip side is that every so often, there are guys that break this rule.  I do believe OJ Howard was on his way to show that before he got hurt last year.  I think Hock and Fant are in that group (and Irv Smith isn't there yet).   I know you feel like no one is listening to that point, but I think it's more that they feel the way above.   And many of us (not all) feel we aren't real contenders - so we're trying to find elite future high-impact difference-making players, and anything in year 1 is a bonus - even for Round 1.  

Hock was a surer bet to be that guy with his elite blocking, but Fant's ceiling as a move TE is elite IMO.  I think that's the point others are saying.  It doesn't invalidate your points, but it's the flip side.   That's all.  Peace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Oh I'm sure Denver had several players in mind. But at 20, Fant was about the only one left who has as high of a probability of being a game breaking type player as Bush. I'm thrilled that we got him. But what if he had been gone? Considering what we actually received for that trade, we would literally have just given up a future pro-bowler for no reason. Elway is the luckiest man alive right now. I will say in fairness though: Fangio's knows his linebackers. And his somewhat luke-warm comments about the Devins may have some actual merit. But man, it's hard to see how both of those guys don't end up as all-pros. 

I don’t disagree.  But on the flipside, maybe Elway and Co. played it perfectly.  Just no way of knowing,  maybe they got lucky, or maybe they did they’re homework and figured they’d get a potentially all pro caliber player at 20. 

The point is the Broncos are not a good team and adding a player that takes till at least year 3 to develop is not helping solve any of the other 500 problems the Broncos have.

Oh my apologies you're a psychic who can predict the future three years from now. Good for you! 

Man Baker goes as the first CB.   I said if we went 1.20 CB, it would have been a kneejerk reaction - but still  way better than Lock lol.   It's crazy that it took 30 picks to get a CB off the board.   

Right now, WR/CB/IOL are so deep for Rd2, playing BPA will net guys in that pool in all likelihood.  That would be ideal to address 2 of those areas in Rd2, marry BPA with need.  Fingers crossed we don't screw this up and reach back into Rd1 for Lock lol.

5 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Oh my apologies you're a psychic who can predict the future three years from now. Good for you! 

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im predicting the next 2 years.....and they are more 5-11 or 6-10 football. You good with that?

FWIW, let's all take a breath dial it back....no need to get that snappy, or personal.    One of the greatest parts of the Forums is we won't all agree.  Frankly, we shouldn't.   Otherwise, we'd learn NOTHING from each other.  

We don't have to agree.  Frankly, this is a boring, boring place when we don't.

It's tough to be in the minority.  Let's respect that.  Just my 2 cents.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1