Mock Draft: 4th Year and Counting

J-ALL-DAY

Round 1 - Pick 2: Quinnen Williams DT, Alabama

I'm pretty sure the pick will be Bosa, but I've been on the Williams train all along. I just think he's a potentially special talent that trumps Bosa in that department. We can look to trade Armstead after this pick or just play it out and let him walk after next season. Williams and Buckner will make for a terrifying duo that will wreck havoc for years to come. Williams also just seems like a special kid who has his head in the right place. I feel very confident this guy won't bust and will be a Pro Bowler from year one, if not by year two. This pick will surely upset a lot of the fanbase, but it won't last past the first game he plays. If we didn't trade for Dee Ford, then it would have been awfully difficult to pass on Bosa. Ideally, would love to trade down and take someone like Burns and accumulate more picks, but getting a talent like this isn't a bad consolation price.

Round 2 - Pick 36: Hakeem Butler WR, Iowa State

I think there is a good chance we move up a bit for AJ Brown, but if not him, I do buy the rumors of the team being high on Butler. You guys already know my number one choice is Hollywood Brown, but I don't see him being available in this slot. Heck, Butler may not be available here either but I don't see more than two WRs going in the first round. As for Butler, he's a different type of WR we have, yet a lethal deep threat that Shanahan loves. I gave a long hard look at JJ Arcega-Whiteside who I'm a fan of but ended up going with Butler. Can't go wrong with either, though the Arcega-Whiteside can likely be had in the 3rd round. And crazy enough, if Greedy somehow falls this low, then it will crazy not 

Round 3 - Pick 67: Amani Hooker S, Iowa

One of my favorite prospects in the draft that I can't believe isn't getting more hype. This is as sound of a player as you will see on the back end. Very good in coverage even though he isn't quite a natural single high safety, but I'm fine with that. Hooker is a guy that will be able to compete for the starting spot from day one and will be one of the biggest steals of the draft if he falls past the 2nd round. Getting Hooker will immediately help the back end and give us a formidable duo as long as Tartt stays healthy. I know I know, but then there is also Harris/Colbert that could potentially turn into solid contributors. 

Round 4 - Pick 104: Jachai Polite DE, Florida

Wait, did you really expect me to do a mock draft where I don't have us drafting Poooooolllllliiiiitttttttteeeeeeeeeee? Seriously though, this is insane value at this point of the draft for someone who performed the way he did last season. Yes, I'm aware that he completely jacked up his draft stock but I know what I saw. Imagine thinking two months ago that we would end up with both Williams and Polite? Our nickel pass rush consisting of Polite and Ford on the edge with Williams/Thomas/Buckner on the inside would be pretty damn good. 

Round 6 - Pick 176: Keesean Johnson WR, Fresno State

This is bit of a homer pick, but Johnson has a lot of traits that I think Shanny will like. He has some Garcon in him and has sure hands and is very physical at the point of the catch. He didn't have a great combine but he never was going to have a good combine. He's just a flat out football player as Frank Gore would say, and I think he would have a solid shot at making the team. This is a guy that I thought would get some 3rd or 4th round love, bur seems like his stock is fairly low. Well, that's not a bad thing for us.

Round 6 - Pick 212: Jordan Brown CB, South Dakota State

I really only watched him for the first time a few days ago but he has some intriguing measurables. He, like Sherman, was a WR turned into a CB. He had a very good season last year and he may go before this pick, but I wanted to take a CB and Brown was one of my late round favorites so here we are lol. Brown will be able to provide additional competition opposite Sherman. Then we would have Brown/Spoon/Moore/Verrett at CB duking it out which would be very solid. 

I'm upset I wasn't able to fit in an IOL or LB, but we only had six picks. Like I mentioned earlier, trading down would be so big in this draft. The draft is super deep from the mid-first to second round range. 

• Like 1

QW doesn't do it for me but thats well documented at this point. Same with Butler, but don't mind the thought process I just don't like them based on my evaluations. Hooker is where I start to love the rest of this mock, he's a SS not a single high but he could potentially compete there just to see the field. Polite in round 4 would be pretty hilarious given that his beef with the 49ers contributed to his negative perception this draft process but its a good pick and I like Keesean Johnson . 

As 48.5 similarly noted, my thoughts on QW are known. I sorta agree that people will get over the pick (my unhappiness would end before the draft does), but only "sorta." Because while McGlinchey ended up playing really well and should be a cornerstone of our line for a decade, there are still those that pine for Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick, not because they are unhappy with McGlinchey, but because we still have glaring holes the others would have filled just as well. When Bosa turns into a Pro Bowl pass rusher, Williams will always be the guy that we selected over a premier edge rusher. And an edge rusher trumps an interior rusher. Especially on a team that will likely play Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray in 25% of their games over the next decade.

I don't like Butler in the 2nd over the variety of other guys likely to be available, but his raw potential is enough to make me get over it. If that's who Shanahan wants, then that's fine. Hooker would be my favorite choice in this particular draft, though I think he's ultimately more of a SS. But I think we can have Tartt move over to FS after Ward's injury.

I removed Polite from my draft board and imagine our team did the same. As a Gators fan, I loved watching him. But no part of me thinks he can handle the adversity that will come his way. Otherwise I love Johnson in the 6th and would be very intrigued by Brown. 

This is a draft that wouldn't thrill me overall, but I can understand a lot of it. Wish there was a TE and/or offensive lineman drafted, but it's hard to do it all with 6 picks and I am not against double dipping at a position like you did with WR. You did go for overall talent by taking Williams with the knowledge you could likely get Polite later, so I can't hate on the strategy. 

If nothing else, your punter philosophy aligns with mine, so we can share in that!

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

As 48.5 similarly noted, my thoughts on QW are known. I sorta agree that people will get over the pick (my unhappiness would end before the draft does), but only "sorta." Because while McGlinchey ended up playing really well and should be a cornerstone of our line for a decade, there are still those that pine for Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick, not because they are unhappy with McGlinchey, but because we still have glaring holes the others would have filled just as well. When Bosa turns into a Pro Bowl pass rusher, Williams will always be the guy that we selected over a premier edge rusher. And an edge rusher trumps an interior rusher. Especially on a team that will likely play Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray in 25% of their games over the next decade.

I don't like Butler in the 2nd over the variety of other guys likely to be available, but his raw potential is enough to make me get over it. If that's who Shanahan wants, then that's fine. Hooker would be my favorite choice in this particular draft, though I think he's ultimately more of a SS. But I think we can have Tartt move over to FS after Ward's injury.

I removed Polite from my draft board and imagine our team did the same. As a Gators fan, I loved watching him. But no part of me thinks he can handle the adversity that will come his way. Otherwise I love Johnson in the 6th and would be very intrigued by Brown. 

This is a draft that wouldn't thrill me overall, but I can understand a lot of it. Wish there was a TE and/or offensive lineman drafted, but it's hard to do it all with 6 picks and I am not against double dipping at a position like you did with WR. You did go for overall talent by taking Williams with the knowledge you could likely get Polite later, so I can't hate on the strategy. 

If nothing else, your punter philosophy aligns with mine, so we can share in that!

My thing is, I rate Williams quite higher than Bosa. If I had them on the same level, I'd have gone Bosa as well. 

I like quite a few WRs in this draft. Both Brown's I like better than Butler, but I don't see them falling to #36. Would love to get Isabella with out 4th round pick since it seems like he's not that highly regarded among some draft experts. 

Hooker isn't the ideal single high safety as I mentioned, but that's fine. Hard to find many of those. But Hooker is a complete safety who has good instincts in coverage and come on down to cover TEs. 

You may be right on Polite, but no way was I going to pass him up in the 4th round. Not with the type of hype I've been giving him all season lol. 

I understand your view on Williams, and if I had a player on a tier of their own, I would have trouble passing as well. I get that and respect it. I just think the issue is a severe undervaluing of Bosa (and Allen, for that matter, but I get why most put Williams and Bosa a tier above).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I understand your view on Williams, and if I had a player on a tier of their own, I would have trouble passing as well. I get that and respect it. I just think the issue is a severe undervaluing of Bosa (and Allen, for that matter, but I get why most put Williams and Bosa a tier above).

So very much all of this. QW love seems to cast a shadow on what Bosa has always been. Oh well. "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." Not even going to try again.

It is a quality draft, but one that doesn't excite me. Just FYI.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't think I'm undervaluing Bosa. I say there is a low chance he busts and will be a consistent 10-12 sacks type of player for his career. Just don't see him having those explosive 14-17 sacks type of seasons that guys like Miller/Mack/Garrett are capable of. I also rate Burns as a better long term pass rusher than Bosa. 

I could be totally wrong with this, but Bosa lacks a bit of that explosiveness that special pass rushers have. He's quick off the snap and is a smart player so he will be quality no doubt it. Let's put it this way, I will not be disappointed in this pick today, nor in the long run. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think I'm undervaluing Bosa. I say there is a low chance he busts and will be a consistent 10-12 sacks type of player for his career. Just don't see him having those explosive 14-17 sacks type of seasons that guys like Miller/Mack/Garrett are capable of. I also rate Burns as a better long term pass rusher than Bosa. 

I could be totally wrong with this, but Bosa lacks a bit of that explosiveness that special pass rushers have. He's quick off the snap and is a smart player so he will be quality no doubt it. Let's put it this way, I will not be disappointed in this pick today, nor in the long run. 

Do you think Williams is a 14-17 sack player?

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Do you think Williams is a 14-17 sack player?

No, but he wrecks havoc in different ways. He's a guy that will be constantly blowing plays up and making life hell for offenses. I have different expectations for edge and interior players. But do I think Williams will be a 10 sackish type of player? Yes, and will have multiple seasons with 12-14. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY