Mock Draft: 4th Year and Counting

J-ALL-DAY

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, but he wrecks havoc in different ways. He's a guy that will be constantly blowing plays up and making life hell for offenses. I have different expectations for edge and interior players. But do I think Williams will be a 10 sackish type of player? Yes, and will have multiple seasons with 12-14. 

That's fair. It's what I see. But I think Bosa affects the team in other ways as well. I think Bosa's ceiling is ultimately similar to JJ Watt's, who wasn't universally seen as a top 10 pick. They are different types of players (Watt was much larger with more playing strength for one) so I'm not comparing them in that sense, but I think that limiting Bosa to 10-12 is the undervalued part. 

• Like 1

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

That's fair. It's what I see. But I think Bosa affects the team in other ways as well. I think Bosa's ceiling is ultimately similar to JJ Watt's, who wasn't universally seen as a top 10 pick. They are different types of players (Watt was much larger with more playing strength for one) so I'm not comparing them in that sense, but I think that limiting Bosa to 10-12 is the undervalued part. 

Got it, would love to see Bosa be a Watt level player of course. But Watt's testing was pretty insane for his size. Dude bested Bosa in the 3-cone drill while being on par with the 20 yard shuttle and the 40 yard dash I believe....And this was with him being what, 25+ pounds heavier? I will say though, one similarity is how well both use their hands. Bosa is certainly very polished and well schooled. That's why I think his smarts he will be just fine. 

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

And the thing is, a player inside can be more utterly dominant in terms of physical profile, technique, and even pressures - but those pressures inherently cause fewer turnovers; they are happening right in the face of the quarterback. They have way less access to the ball in vulnerable positions during the throwing process. Which, yes, can upset rhythm, but turnovers are super valuable. They end drives. End of story. PFFs study on this front a year or so ago concluded that the expected value of an edge pressure is higher for this reason. That, and the value of usually preventing scramble drills outside the pocket, which can also be quite dangerous. I think that Quinnen Williams is the most dominant player in this class. The things he can do against double teams, versus the run. He rarely got matched up one on one as a three tech. I'd be terrified to have to block that dude lined up in isolation. It's legitimately amazing stuff. He might still not be the most valuable player overall, in spite of his unusual dominance. And his value will be slightly less for us than most, given our roster. I can still see him being the pick. I'm tempted myself. But I wouldn't personally make it over Bosa and I'd be closer to taking Allen over him than most here.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JIllg said:

And the thing is, a player inside can be more utterly dominant in terms of physical profile, technique, and even pressures - but those pressures inherently cause fewer turnovers; they are happening right in the face of the quarterback. They have way less access to the ball in vulnerable positions during the throwing process. Which, yes, can upset rhythm, but turnovers are super valuable. They end drives. End of story. PFFs study on this front a year or so ago concluded that the expected value of an edge pressure is higher for this reason. That, and the value of usually preventing scramble drills outside the pocket, which can also be quite dangerous. I think that Quinnen Williams is the most dominant player in this class. The things he can do against double teams, versus the run. He rarely got matched up one on one as a three tech. I'd be terrified to have to block that dude lined up in isolation. It's legitimately amazing stuff. He might still not be the most valuable player overall, in spite of his unusual dominance. And his value will be slightly less for us than most, given our roster. I can still see him being the pick. I'm tempted myself. But I wouldn't personally make it over Bosa and I'd be closer to taking Allen over him than most here.

Good stuff.

LIS, Bosa/Thomas/Buckner/Ford nickel pass rush is going to be so so so good. Our entire DL when you then add Armstead/Jones/Blair is going to be filthy. Drafting Bosa will not upset me in the least. 

• Like 1