Baltimore Ravens 2019 Draft Thread

coordinator0

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

I don't get it if Packers fans want to defend the pick. Savage has very high upside as a versatile player on almost any defense. The Eagles could also be mentioned as a team who could be interested in savage, Colts as well. There was a reason for a trade up if that was the guy they really wanted.

That's what I said. The Packers clearly had a strong grade on a player, and traded up up to get their guy. Which is perfectly reasonable. They don't need to drum up nonsense to try and justify the move. 

21 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

That's what I said. The Packers clearly had a strong grade on a player, and traded up up to get their guy. Which is perfectly reasonable. They don't need to drum up nonsense to try and justify the move. 

We also saw the Raiders being interested in a safety. I think some fans tend to be hung up on draft pundits boards rather than looking at the player and the subsequent draft picks.

Yeah I don't know where anyone got the idea we were in on Savage when there were clearly more obvious fits for us on the board around there. I do think us trading down could have been impacted by Green Bay moving up but not in the way they think.

My guess is that the 3 guys we were eyeing the hardest in Round 1 as the board was shaping up the way it was were Hollywood, Montez Sweat, and Josh Jacobs - that's mostly a hunch but just based off of how our draft actually played out and an understanding of what we saw as our needs, I think it's reasonable. And once Green Bay traded up to grab a guy we didn't really want/need, we felt pretty confident that we could move 4 spots down and still get one of our top targets (hell, maybe Philly told us they were taking Dillard). In that scenario even if the worst happens and they are the next 3 picks off the board, we can still grab whichever O-linemen we had rated highest among Dillard, Ford, and Taylor, which we know was also a big interest for us given we considered trying to move up into round 2 for Ford. 

DeCosta said he didn't ask, and wasn't told, who the Eagles were going to pick. He said we got a ton of calls for Pick 22, yet literally none for Pick 25. I'm guessing a gang of teams wanted to jump the Texans for Dillard. A reporter asked if Montez Sweat was on our board, and EDC wouldn't confirm or deny. He said Marquise was our target and there was some concern as to whether the Eagles might take him, but they decided to gamble and make the deal anyway. 

Then we have the prospected trade for Ford, which ultimately came off as too rich a cost for comfort with the FO. There were rumblings about a bump up to secure Jaylon Ferguson too. Which obviously wasn't needed. We did end up moving up for Boykin. 

We know Eric was the driving force behind the Lamar Jackson trade up last year, combine that with some of the information from this year's draft and it's easy to draw the conclusion that we can expect DeCosta to be bit more aggressive going forward than Ozzie traditionally was. Though the disgust and clear discomfort expressed by DeCosta over being without a 2nd Round pick, and his own words on the matter. Make me think we won't see a 2nd Round Pick traded away for a long time, unless as Eric said "It's for a very special player".

One interesting tidbit I remember is DeCosta saying they didn't care what shape or size impact players on offense came in. Specifically if they had picked "Two little fast guys", they wouldn't have cared. Which immediately made me dream of a Marquise Brown & Andy Isabella offense lol.

Another thing I will always wonder about is if Simmons was on our board or not. Though maybe it's good I won't ever get an answer on that one....

Good Listen on Ben Powers-

http://filmstudy.libsyn.com/ben-powers-preview

I've seen the Cody Ford trade-up attempt rumor, but it's hard for me to imagine what they could have been offering. Ford went 38th. That would have been a huge jump even if we had our second round pick, which would have been pick 53, taking up like our entire draft.

Without a second round pick, we would have had to have been shopping our 2020 1st to be taken seriously, and given the depreciative value that still wouldn't have been enough. If that rumor is true, we thought Ford was a strong first round prospect. 

Edited by wackywabbit

On 7.5.2019 at 11:51 PM, wackywabbit said:

I've seen the Cody Ford trade-up attempt rumor, but it's hard for me to imagine what they could have been offering. Ford went 38th. That would have been a huge jump even if we had our second round pick, which would have been pick 53, taking up like our entire draft.

Without a second round pick, we would have had to have been shopping our 2020 1st to be taken seriously, and given the depreciative value that still wouldn't have been enough. If that rumor is true, we thought Ford was a strong first round prospect. 

It seems like we had a high grade on Ford, maybe a 1. round grade since they actually investigated the opportunity to trade up for him.

Regarding not having a 2. round draft pick, I have seen several experts and pundits point to the fact, that having a pick from 25-32 is basically the same as having a 2. round pick, since the top talent is gone by then. I'd figure that most draft classes would be viewed as stronger from teams who draft twice in the 2-4 round, since the 6-7 round is basically priority free agent territory.

13 hours ago, Danand said:

It seems like we had a high grade on Ford, maybe a 1. round grade since they actually investigated the opportunity to trade up for him.

Regarding not having a 2. round draft pick, I have seen several experts and pundits point to the fact, that having a pick from 25-32 is basically the same as having a 2. round pick, since the top talent is gone by then. I'd figure that most draft classes would be viewed as stronger from teams who draft twice in the 2-4 round, since the 6-7 round is basically priority free agent territory.

Yea, the point of me saying that we didn't have a 2nd was that there weren't a lot of ways to make a move to the part of the draft when Ford was still there. It would have had to have included a future first, which would look really dumb if we end up picking high in what may be a top heavy draft.

Honestly, for that reason, I feel like this is a fake rumor. 

Miles Boykin has this weird trait where he gears down significantly after making a downfield catch. He's got decent wiggle, I've seen him used effectively on screens. And his size allows him to bounce out of plenty of tackles. There's just this weird dip in speed after longer catches though.

Good Example.

• 1 year later...