Baltimore Ravens 2019 Draft Thread

coordinator0

Boykin's path to actual playing time will have to include injuries or a Victor Cruz like preseason breakout. Neither of which are likely going to happen.

Miles is going to have learn an NFL playbook, run NFL routes, and go against NFL CBs(the deepest group in the league). All for the first time. I imagine just practice and camp will be quite the chore for him. 

He'll become more of a factor in Year 2 & 3 imo.

• Like 1

Yeah. And while Brown probably has a clear path to snaps regardless of who's on the field, Boykin will be fighting with Seth Roberts too. I think he's been a forgotten man lately but with how quickly the Ravens pounced on him after his release from Oakland the team obviously thinks highly of him.

The wide receiver depth chart is going to be messy. I think Moore's chances of breaking out there have dimmed considerably and I'm still not seeing where Lasley comes in. Scott is probably on the outside looking in... unless the team wants size depth on the outside. I'm liking the upside of the group but there isn't much clearly set at the moment. 

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Heck I thought I was down on Brown. I honestly feel it completely healthy he’s got a skillset that combined with being a rookie that is underestimated could see him put up 1000 yards. But with his foot I figured it could reduce LJ8 ability to build as much chemistry (though Andrews missed a good bit of training camp and still went for 500 yards and is much less explosive).

It’ll be interesting to see Boykin’s impact. I definitely see him being a special teams productive player with his size and speed. But I can’t see him having a bigger impact as a rookie than Chris Moore has had at any point, especially considering who is in front of him (Moore and Snead).

Everything else I completely agree with and can see happening for sure.

I am not down on Brown at all, and my anticipation of his production is not a criticism of him. I just believe, that although we will pass more than last season, there will still not be that many opportunities for him, and we could see him have a season like Calvin Ridley last year, who was lights out one week and gone the other.

With limited targets, I just see 5-6 games with 70-80 yards, and the rest sprinkled over the rest of the games.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Boykin's path to actual playing time will have to include injuries or a Victor Cruz like preseason breakout. Neither of which are likely going to happen.

Miles is going to have learn an NFL playbook, run NFL routes, and go against NFL CBs(the deepest group in the league). All for the first time. I imagine just practice and camp will be quite the chore for him. 

He'll become more of a factor in Year 2 & 3 imo.

Is this based on Lasley/Scott making huge leaps, or just that Boykin's a project WR?

Because right now our WR group is:

Willie Snead (slot)

Chris Moore (average at best)

Seth Roberts (average at best)

Jordan Lasley (couldn't make the roster last year)

Jaleel Scott (couldn't make the roster last year)

Marquise Brown (will probably start outside)

Miles Boykin)

If I were to order those around, I'd want Boykin/Brown on the outside with Snead in the slot and Moore/Lasley/Scott can battle it out for the #4 position as usual.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Is this based on Lasley/Scott making huge leaps, or just that Boykin's a project WR?

It's mostly just based on team history and habit. 

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lasley did make the roster.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Because right now our WR group is:

Willie Snead (slot)

Chris Moore (average at best)

Seth Roberts (average at best)

Jaleel Scott (couldn't make the roster last year)

Marquise Brown (will probably start outside)

Miles Boykin)

If I were to order those around, I'd want Boykin/Brown on the outside with Snead in the slot and Moore/Lasley/Scott can battle it out for the #4 position as usual.

I think Moore will start outside; he deserves the opportunity. Brown and Snead will get a ton of snaps all over. But Boykin has as good a shot as anyone else at the field. We traded up in the 3rd for him, whereas Lasley was a 5th round pick who's screaming for an invite to Harbs' doghouse.

Edited by wackywabbit

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

But Boykin has as good a shot as anyone else at the field. We traded up in the 3rd for him,

Do you really believe draft capital past the 1st round has the potential to dictate anything on the team at this point?

8 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Do you really believe draft capital past the 1st round has the potential to dictate anything on the team at this point?

I don't believe it will matter when they have actual practice/game reps to separate the two.

I believe it does show that they currently think more highly of Boykin than they did of Lasley at this time last year. 

It's not that it dictates anything, it's that it indicates what they expect. It's not a matter of "because he was an X round pick..." it's "since he was an X round pick, they think...".

Edited by wackywabbit

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

I believe it does show that they currently think more highly of Boykin than they did of Lasley at this time last year. 

It's not a matter of "because he was an X round pick..." it's "since he was an X round pick, they think...".

That's not great logic to apply to Lasley. 

Las was a better player than Boykin in college, he fell in the draft because of character. Originally he was projected as a Late 1st - Early 2nd guy.

I understand your thought process though.

51 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It's mostly just based on team history and habit. 

Lasley did make the roster.

Lasley was never active - so I suppose I meant gameday roster. Either way, he never played.

45 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I think Moore will start outside; he deserves the opportunity. Brown and Snead will get a ton of snaps all over. But Boykin has as good a shot as anyone else at the field. We traded up in the 3rd for him, whereas Lasley was a 5th round pick who's screaming for an invite to Harbs' doghouse.

Not holding my breath for Moore to finally show up, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Boykin's blocking ability alone makes him more valuable than any of our other existing WR's sans Roberts, and his speed makes him better than Roberts.

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Heck I thought I was down on Brown. I honestly feel it completely healthy he’s got a skillset that combined with being a rookie that is underestimated could see him put up 1000 yards.

1000 yards is relatively rare in a rookie season - it's only happened 17 times in the entirety of the NFL.   Factor in the sort of offense we're likely to run and I'd be surprised if any WR on this team puts up 1000 yards this season

An angle regarding our draft I haven't seen mentioned is the possible shortening of Lamar's leash in the eyes of the FO. With investment comes expectation. We have young bookend tackles, a strong core of running backs, and a top Tight End room in the league. Now with a 1st and 3rd thrown at the WR position. It's safe to say we've put Lamar in position to succeed. 

Should he not, what should we expect out of DeCosta? 

We don't have a ton invested in Jackson. He's a relatively cheap shot at a possible QBOTF. If things don't go well this year, I think he should be concerned come next draft.

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Hard to type multiple sentences on a phone.

I got you. It's just something I noticed. I like getting your thoughts on team topics and a lot of times I see extra content edited in after I or someone else have already responded.