Lions trade guard Laken Tomlinson to the 49ers

flyguy1609

I know that he's been bad, but so has our interior offensive line. I don't hate the move; I'd rather take the chance on him than Erving, to be honest. I posited this idea for the 49ers a while back as something we could pursue because it does make a little bit of sense for us. We really need help at the guard position, particularly with Garnett hurt. Its sad that he moves immediately into the starting lineup for us though - goes to show how bad off we are there. 

As a Duke fan, I'm happy to finally have a Duke player play for my team. As a Niner fan, this says a lot about how bad our line is. I thought he was a lock to be a solid pro coming out of college, obviously I was wrong.

That said, that draft pick is worth almost nothing. Might as well take the risk.

Will be interesting to see how he does under Shannahan. He didn't fit in with the Lions pass set technique and scheme, but he was always pretty solid in the run game. Lions weren't going to use him, so it gets his money off the books and gives them a pick 2 years down the line that might turn into a depth player or something. They were going to cut him after the year anyway, so getting something for him is good, I guess.

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

Will be interesting to see how he does under Shannahan. He didn't fit in with the Lions pass set technique and scheme, but he was always pretty solid in the run game. Lions weren't going to use him, so it gets his money off the books and gives them a pick 2 years down the line that might turn into a depth player or something. They were going to cut him after the year anyway, so getting something for him is good, I guess.

This is good to hear, because that's the main issue with our interior offensive line. We can't run block to save our life, particularly with Garnett hurt. This makes me like it a little bit more for our side. 

Just now, Forge said:

This is good to hear, because that's the main issue with our interior offensive line. We can't run block to save our life, particularly with Garnett hurt. This makes me like it a little bit more for our side. 

Yeah it's a good move for you guys. He actually had some really good games last year when he went up against DT's that based their game on power and bull rushing because he was able to stop them with the jump-sets the Lions make their OL use. He struggled against the quicker DT's because he couldn't recover against them if he wasn't perfect in his pass set. But it worked against the power guys because they were trying to create contact too, so he was never really forced to have to recover against them. From what I know of Shannahan's system, he should work fairly well in it. Lots of play action that sells the run hard, he should fit well there. Won't be asked to jump-set, so that should help vs the quicker DT's. Might worry about him on the OZ plays that ask him to cover a lot of ground though, he isn't the greatest athlete, even among guards.

4 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Yeah it's a good move for you guys. He actually had some really good games last year when he went up against DT's that based their game on power and bull rushing because he was able to stop them with the jump-sets the Lions make their OL use. He struggled against the quicker DT's because he couldn't recover against them if he wasn't perfect in his pass set. But it worked against the power guys because they were trying to create contact too, so he was never really forced to have to recover against them. From what I know of Shannahan's system, he should work fairly well in it. Lots of play action that sells the run hard, he should fit well there. Won't be asked to jump-set, so that should help vs the quicker DT's. Might worry about him on the OZ plays that ask him to cover a lot of ground though, he isn't the greatest athlete, even among guards.

Excellent insight, @IDOG_det. Thanks for the insight. 

What happened to this guy? I had the impression that he was surprisingly good as a rookie, an exciting and fat young guard who had been projected to get picked in the second or third round; Detroit was accused of overdrafting him in the first, but he ended up being pretty good--?

Also, wasn't Martin Mayhew the GM of the Lions when they drafted him, and is now with San Francisco? Maybe he thinks he can catch lightning in a bottle a second time? 

2 minutes ago, bzane said:

Also, wasn't Martin Mayhew the GM of the Lions when they drafted him, and is now with San Francisco? Maybe he thinks he can catch lightning in a bottle a second time? 

Yes, he was. That's why a couple of us had projected this trade a while ago. Massive need at the position, he was on his way out in Detroit, and then of course the Mayhew connection. 

Archived