Draft Lead-up Question 8 - Final Guesses

The Gnat

I've got 2 scenarios in mind. Both involve trading down into the 23-25 range, and then up in the 35-40 range. Scenario A has the Vikes taking Jeffery Simmons and then one of Chris Lindstrom or Dalton Risner, whereas scenario 2 has them taking Bradbury in the first followed by Jerry Tillery in the 2nd. They haven't met with a ton of 3 techs outside of Simmons, which makes me think they want him if they can get enough ammo to trade high enough in the 2nd to grab the best interior lineman on the board. I'm betting round 3 is either an Isaiah John, Amani Hooker, or Blake Cashman pick, Josh Oliver in the 4th if he makes it, Derrick Baity, Terrill Hanks, and Devine Ozgbo all in the 5th and 6th after a couple deals, and Jeff Smith with one of their 7th round picks.

13 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I’m really hoping we can get either Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard in the draft, but my sleeper pick is Rashan Gary.  Gary has top 5 talent, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him drop for a number of reasons.  If he’s there at 18 then I think he could be the surprise defensive player picked in the first round.

He may have top-5 talent, but he doesn't have top-5 production...and to me, he's still too much of a 'tweener.   I wouldn't take him even if he were available at the Vikings pick...because as far as I'm concerned, he's a late 1st rounder at best.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He may have top-5 talent, but he doesn't have top-5 production...and to me, he's still too much of a 'tweener.   I wouldn't take him even if he were available at the Vikings pick...because as far as I'm concerned, he's a late 1st rounder at best.  

I am also wary of players who have elite measurable, but lack production when they have had ample opportunity at the college level.  10 sacks in 34 games is pretty low for the number 1 High School prospect.

58 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I am also wary of players who have elite measurable, but lack production when they have had ample opportunity at the college level.  10 sacks in 34 games is pretty low for the number 1 High School prospect.

I agree here. Seems more Nkemdiche than Clowney.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This! Plus when you score a single digit wonderlic and you have a torn labrum it's really a bunch of red flags for me when an edge rusher at this point can be grabbed later and developed since they arent needed to start ASAP.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

My thought was Dion Jordan.  I was watching some of the old first round drafts on the NFL network (2012:/).  I noticed so many players who had "upside" pre-draft only to become footnotes a few years later.  I believe there is a time to take a risk and a time to take a more proven player.  18 this year is not the place for a Gary-type player. 

13 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

My thought was Dion Jordan.  I was watching some of the old first round drafts on the NFL network (2012:/).  I noticed so many players who had "upside" pre-draft only to become footnotes a few years later.  I believe there is a time to take a risk and a time to take a more proven player.  18 this year is not the place for a Gary-type player. 

We could have a whole thread...or a whole 30 for 30 on players drafted high with big upside that never did anything...all you have to do is start with the 1989 draft and the 1 player drafted in the top 5 that's not in the HOF...and just happens to have been drafted by the Packers.  :D

While I’m in no way advocating drafting Gary I think it’s worth mentioning that our own Danielle Hunter had almost no college production but had all the measurables and has become a helluva player. Of course theres a big difference in drafting a player in the mid rounds vs the middle of the first round. 

Personally I want them to draft an offensive lineman and stay put or even possibly trade up a few spots if necessary to get “their guy”... I will be disappointed if they trade back and take an offensive lineman especially if a few top prospects are left on the board. I know that sounds contrary to draft logic but I believe you should have scouted these guys enough that you have a clear favorite that you believe in and are willing to be decisive. It’s a “pound the table” situation in my mind and I want them to go after a guy they truly like, if they trade back it just says to me they didn’t do enough homework to figure out who they really believe will be a stud. 

Dillard, Williams and Bradbury (in no order) are my preferred prospects that I hope they can land one of at 18. 

Might be some guys that slide which could be tempting but I just think they need to get more talent on the O-line to actually compete this season where as all other positions are “nice to have but not necessary” 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

He had really good production last year, but then was playing through an injury this year.  Also since he played so many different positions on defense he was never really given a chance to master one specific spot.  I’m not worried about him at all and think he’ll be a top defensive lineman.

What I think will happen: Granted no trades

1 - Garrett Bradbury | C |  NC State

2 - Dexter Lawrence | DT | Clemson

3 - Emanuel Hall | WR | Missouri

4 - Blake Cashman | LB | Minnesota

6 - Ross Pierschbacher | OG | Alabama

6 - Kris Boyd | CB | Texas

7 - Elijah Holyfield | RB | Georgia

7 - Mitch Hyatt | OT | Clemson

------------

What I want to happen but not likely

*Used JR's Rankings

1(18) Garrett Bradbury | C | NC State

*Trade Rudolph & #120 to NE for #32 & #134.  (Rudolph is better than anyone NE can get at 32 right now. I know not likely but its still what I want to see

*Trade #35 + #50 to HOU for #23, #86  & #161(TVC = 950/946.6)

1(23) - Noah Fant | TE | Iowa

*Trade Trae Waynes to Oak for #35 

*Trade #32, #134 & #209 to Sea for #29 (TVC = 635.9/640

1(29) - Marquise Brown | WR | Oklahoma (Move in front of GB)

*Trade #86 & #250 to NYG for #95 & #132(TVC = 161/160)

3(81) Charles Omenihu | DT | Texas

3(95) Blake Cashman | LB | Minnesota

*Trade #132 & Future 5th to Ten for #121 (TVC = 61.8/52) not sure how future picks are valued so I took the value for the last pick.

4(121) Michael Jordan | OG | Ohio St

5(161) Saivian Smith | CB | Alabama

6(190) Elijah Holyfield | RB | Georgia

7(247) Calvin Anderson | OT | Texas

No way i'd be okay with touching Gary in the 1st, and that was before his injury news broke. He's got the potential to be amazing, but the issues that are discussed about him are the exact reasons why he isn't worthy of a 1st round pick. The risk is simply too high, and for a team like ours who doesn't need to assume that risk, i'd be very upset to see him as our pick at 18, or in the 1st at all if we were to trade down (unless we trade down in the 1st, and later trade back up into the 1st for our second pick... then we can talk).

As far as my projection? I think Jonah Williams is probably a pipe dream, but he'd be my 1A pick. Dillard is 1B, and I think he has a decent chance of being around when we are on the clock. Bradbury, while a great fit, and someone who I really love,  would be secondary to me when compared to a potential solution at LT. I am not sold of Reiff moving to LG, nor am I sold on Elflein moving to LG, but I am a firm believer that more often than not, you find starting LT's in round 1. If you look around the league, a large majority are from the 1st, and while the round you are drafted in doesn't guarantee success, I feel like it's somewhat correlative to the position. If Dillard and Williams are gone (and I assume James is also gone), then Bradbury is definitely someone i'd be banging the table for. Risner, Ford, and Lindstrom are all guys who I see as reaches at 18, but I am not opposed to them on our team. I'll probably need to be restrained if I hear us call Little's name tonight...

Depending on how much it cost's, I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to snag Williams either.. we shall see how it goes.

Other names I like throughout the draft, outside of the 1st, in no particular order:

Miles Sanders-RB

Dexter Lawrence-NT

Jalen Hurd-WR

Blake Cashman- LB

Kahale Warring-TE

Tyler Roemer-OT

Dru Samia-OG

Lamont Gaillard-C/G

Kaden Smith-TE

Elgton Jenkins-C

Sean Bunting-CB

• 4 years later...
On 4/25/2019 at 12:22 PM, Robbroy45 said:

I've got 2 scenarios in mind. Both involve trading down into the 23-25 range, and then up in the 35-40 range. Scenario A has the Vikes taking Jeffery Simmons and then one of Chris Lindstrom or Dalton Risner, whereas scenario 2 has them taking Bradbury in the first followed by Jerry Tillery in the 2nd. They haven't met with a ton of 3 techs outside of Simmons, which makes me think they want him if they can get enough ammo to trade high enough in the 2nd to grab the best interior lineman on the board. I'm betting round 3 is either an Isaiah John, Amani Hooker, or Blake Cashman pick, Josh Oliver in the 4th if he makes it, Derrick Baity, Terrill Hanks, and Devine Ozgbo all in the 5th and 6th after a couple deals, and Jeff Smith with one of their 7th round picks.

ROBBROY!!!!! HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CURSE OF JOSH OLIVER!!!!