2019 NFL Draft Round 1 Talk

Johnny Nix

My top 11 (not counting QB since I have no idea if they want to move on from Dalton or not): options for the Bengals, of which we are in theory guaranteed to have the option of taking at least one of them.

1. Nick Bosa
  2. Quinnen Williams
  3. Josh Allen
  4. Ed Oliver
  5. Devin White
  6. Devin Bush
  7. Andre Dillard
  8. Jonah Williams
  9. TJ Hockenson
  10. Brian Burns
  11. Jawan Taylor

That's 11 guys i'd be happy with (some more than others) at pick 11, and that's if 0 QB's go before we pick.  There will for sure be 1, a decent possibility of 2 because QB's rise, an outside chance of 3, and a "what the hell are they thinking" chance that Murray, Haskins, Jones, and Lock all go before we pick, or what I call "the dream scenario" because it guarantees a shot at my top 7.  I know i'm higher on Dillard than most here, but i'd be pumped if he's the pick.  Personally, i'd slot him in at LT day 1, and move Glenn to RT.  Let Hart compete at G and be the backup.

So it's draft morning and I don't know who I want us to take,  let alone think they will. I think about tendencies and what we've done in the past,  and sure, there are big decision makers carrying over,  but I really think it's wide open. Ideally,  we get a day one starter here.  Looking at the roster, I don't see a third linebacker that I could approve as the starter going into the season.  The two we have aren't exactly special. So either White or Bush are good.  There is a chance that both are gone,  or other value dictates passing on them, but there are capable linebackers throughout and we should grab 2 anyway. Hopefully we don't wait long.

Then there is tackle,  where we have 2 on the roster, but one is injury prone and one is a fringe NFL player. We need to add 2 tackles and the sooner we do that,  the better I will feel about it. So Dilliard, Taylor & Williams are all good in my book. 

And we have a really nice defensive lineman draft here. Even though I like our current starters, pass rush and controlling line of scrimmage is so important.  If we are looking at the 5th best d line prospect,  do we really pass them up to go for a need?  Third round linebacker will have an easier time covering when the first round end is collapsing the pocket every play. 

And of course we have the QBs.  If we are looking at someone the staff believes will be elite, don't they kind of have to draft him?

Anyway, my biggest hope is that we are active.  Those 567 picks should be used to trade up in the earlier rounds,  or for future picks. We can add maybe 6 guys to our roster.  I'd rather be creative than start filling out the practice squad. 

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I think we are all thinking certain players, but mist won't slide.  I feel an OT will be the pick, because Haskins and the Devins will be off the board, along with Oliver and Wilkins.

That’s why I’m hoping we trade back a few spots and nab the BPA

then we can always move back up later to nab someone who is falling or whatever 

Edited by johndeere1707