2019 Day 1 Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

jleisher

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just don't personally know the guy. For all we know, the bad stories about him are fraudulent and leaked by the Packers. I just think a lot of this stuff is dramatized

My take entirely. I'll wait to see him play within our system. Just listened to two PFF guys - neither of whom looked like they've ever played the game - more a couple computer geeks - break this kids game down to the fine hairs and found it wanting. Not with specifics of "why" it was wanting. No. They stopped at the waters edge of "Why is it wanting....?"

Which isnt an informed conclusion IMO.

Rather than listen to more geniuses, I think I'll trust in the GB FO and talent evaluators and wait to see him bring the goods. My only hope is that he's healthy and we didnt (for the life of me I couldnt understand why we would.....................................) buy into damaged goods. If thats the case....if he's more Biegel, Adams, KK....PUP material......THAT I would find disappointing.

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just don't personally know the guy. For all we know, the bad stories about him are fraudulent and leaked by the Packers. I just think a lot of this stuff is dramatized

probably, i don't even know the "bad stories" tbh. just how he comes off in interviews and pre-draft stuff was less than desirable to me at least. especially compared to other guys. i'm rooting for him. really want him to be good. 

Listened to Harbaugh and he loves the kid.  Said all the negative talk was teams trying to bring down his draft stock to they could draft him.  Expected him to be top 10 all day long.  I thought about him when looking over prospects as a 5T and that was intriguing.  The shoulder and wonderlick turned me off.  Didn't look at him again.  Judged and executed.  Guess the kid has a learning disability so that was the reason for the bad score.  I really don't care if he's book smart just as long as he is football smart.  The shoulder issue sounds overblown at least according to Gute. Packers did it to me again.  Through a curve ball and picked a guy not on the radar.  They really have a knack for that.  We all were talking about Savage only surprise was how high we had to go to get him.  Nick Collins 2.0.  Hopefully he'll be as good.  Hate that we gave up our 4ths.  Pack always seems to strike gold in that round.

Andy Herman:

2010 2nd: Morgan Burnett
2011 4th: Davon House
2012 2nd: Casey Hayward
2013 5th: Micah Hyde
2014 1st: HaHa
2015 1st: Damarious Randall
2015 2nd: Quinten Rollins
2017 2nd: Kevin King
2017 2nd: Josh Jones
2018 1st: Jaire Alexander
2018 2nd: Josh Jackson
2019 1st: Darnell Savage

I'm confused now.

Is Gary an EDGE or is he a interior DE?

I'm under the impression that he is the latter backing up the likes of Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Lancaster etc.. but i've seen in some places that seems to think he is the direct backup for the Smith's. So which is it?

I'm happy with Day 1. I came into this process with a limited viewpoint. I wanted (3) certain positions addressed with playmakers. Given my limited knowledge of the depth of overall talent (and surefire knowledge that I wasnt about to go researching all these guys.....) - I compressed my "selections" to top line guys and was only looking three rounds in. Well, we knocked off two of those positions (EDGE/DL & FS) on day one. No complaints from me.

If you want a progress report from me.....I think Gute's doing a fine job. Argue or discuss his talent evals -- thats a never ending process - but I see his approach as targeted and aggressive. Which also draws no complaint from me. Its the way it should be IMO.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

I'm confused now.

Is Gary an EDGE or is he a interior DE?

I'm under the impression that he is the latter backing up the likes of Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Lancaster etc.. but i've seen in some places that seems to think he is the direct backup for the Smith's. So which is it?

Believe the initial thought is that he's going to be playing all over the DL / EDGE.
He's versatile and athletic enough to play multiple positions.

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Believe the initial thought is that he's going to be playing all over the DL / EDGE.

We did that with Neal and Jones and it did not work.

We need to fix him to one position FFS! >:(

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

If he can play we've got some guys who can move around and play different spots. Should make for a great rotation and be able to force match ups that are advantageous to us on defense. 

This defense may be able to dictate the terms to offenses again. Hasn't happened in so long in Green Bay almost forgot what it was like. Loving the looks of 2019 team. 

1 minute ago, Chili said:

We did that with Neal and Jones and it did not work.

We need to fix him to one position FFS! >:(

Mike Neal was actually playing pretty well his last year. Then the 'roids thing hit and nobody would touch him with a ten foot pole Datone Jones was just bad.