2019 NFL Draft Thread

Texansfan713

Let's just all take a breath and remember we have a guy on the roster who was as blue chip as blue chip gets in 2012 #4 overall pick Matt Khalil from Left Tackle U at USC (fu  Boselli).  I remind everyone about him, not because he's the answer but as a reminder that even the slam dunk LT's have a high fail rate and this year had NO slam dunks.  We took a small school fat kid named Brandon Brooks in the 3rd that year and arguably, he ended up as the 2nd o lineman in that draft (Decastro probably the best).   The next year Joeckel went  #2 overall and he's already bounced from LT to LG to out of the league. 2014 - Greg Robinson went from can't miss #2 overall to Browns backup. 2015 Flowers #9 overall to cut in 2018.  Oh yes, and Khalil may have not worked out in Carolina, but there is a big difference between being overpaid and not being able to play anymore. As a stopgap we could do much worse than a 29 year-old former Pro Bowl LT.  I don't think many Rams fans were doing any backflips when they signed a 35 year old Whitworth. I'd rather pair an experienced LT with a bum knee with a healthy high ceiling guy like Howard than be the team that ignores the medical red flags on Taylor (Nix III/B. Williams, etc). Unlike Davenport, Howard profiles as an RT that can transition.    

Yes, missing Dillard hurts, but I remember crying in my beer when Vandy's Chris Williams went to the Bears and we ended up with some glorified Kubiak TE who is a top 5 player in franchise history in DB76.    Khalil Mack turned out pretty good as a small school Edge and Marcus Davenport looks the part, so who is to say that Howard can't make the leap on the other side.  He wasn't small school because he was a character problem, but because he was still growing. If he was 6' 5" 322 and not 6' 2" 235 as a recruit he might have a different Alabama on his resume and I promise you, he's got a better shot at being an NFL LT than Jonah Williams who is my Connor Williams bust call this year. Steelers have an undrafted All Pro LT who had high character out of Army and learned to like to eat (Villanueva).  Terron Armstead became a Pro Bowl LT out of Arkansas-Pine Bluff.  

Not saying I'm in love with it, but if we end up getting Chris Harris or Pat Peterson with some combo of picks tomorrow grabbing Howard while we could could end up being sneaky smart.

Edited by Apollo Stallion

Everyone is forgetting that we drafted a developmental prospect to a team that has terrible coaching and can’t develop talent. 

Howard will be a bust. He won’t play much this season. Next year he will transition to starting RT. We will continue to suck. 

But hey at least Watson’s prime will be bookended by tackles from Bucknell and Alabama State. 

Gaines got cute and want to show how smart he was so he overthought this big time 

hopefully he realizes his mistake. 

We could have had the best CB in the draft and now they will all be gone by our 2nd rounder. 

20 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Everyone is forgetting that we drafted a developmental prospect to a team that has terrible coaching and can’t develop talent

That's my only real gripe with it, outside of falling asleep at the wheel AGAIN. 

This pick says that we have confidence in Mike Devlin as a coach who can teach technique and mold an OL into a better pro than a college player. Yet, the evidence (Sua Filo, Nick Martin, Julie'n Davenport, Martinas Rankin) says otherwise. 

In two years, Howard might be ready. But by then, Watson will probably have to retire due to injury.

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Lance Z's 2nd and 3rd round mock:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028261/article/2019-nfl-draft-day-2-mock-broncos-snag-qb-in-second-round

Got us taking OG/OT Dalton Risner at 54, CB Sean Bunting at 55, and CB Jordan Brown at 86.

I'd be happy to end up with that. Howard, Risner and Rankin at LT, LG/RG could work.