ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK: 2019 NFL Draft- Spoiler Edition

Scoundrel

26 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The best path to the team being better next year is taking a LB, right? That leads me to believe that is what Elway would prefer to do

Or fix the QB situation once and for all.

If you mean 2019, yes, it's ILB with Fangio's scheme.  Agree it's plan A.   Hockenstein Hockenson might be plan B though.  Then QB (esp. if Haskins falls into their laps).

Edited by Broncofan
Fixed, nod to Counselor

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If you mean 2019, yes, it's ILB with Fangio's scheme.  Agree it's plan A.   Hockenstein might be plan B though.  Then QB (esp. if Haskins falls into their laps).

It’s so funny you keep calling him Hockenstein

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

It’s so funny you keep calling him Hockenstein

Toma-to, tomah-to.  It's the Canuck in me.

But yeah, fixed. lol.  Weird crossed wires (when I had Schiano mixed up with Sparano for MIN OL coach, too).

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The best path to the team being better next year is taking a LB, right? That leads me to believe that is what Elway would prefer to do

A good TE would have a similar effect on the O. Hard to go wrong either way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If you mean 2019, yes, it's ILB with Fangio's scheme.  Agree it's plan A.   Hockenstein might be plan B though.  Then QB (esp. if Haskins falls into their laps).

Yeah, meant 2019. I'd be excited if they ended up with Haskins, but I just doubt they want to go QB 

I'm pretty weary about taking a TE so early, but if he is can't miss that would be great. I don't do any legwork on prospects anymore 

Just now, champ11 said:

Yeah, meant 2019. I'd be excited if they ended up with Haskins, but I just doubt they want to go QB 

I'm pretty weary about taking a TE so early, but if he is can't miss that would be great. I don't do any legwork on prospects anymore 

Unlike other TE prospects who go early, Hockenson offers a complete game in where it matters for year 1 - blocking and assignments.  Iowa's system is so NFL-friendly for its TE's, it's why their success rate is so high.   He also offers a Witten-like skill set as a receiver (I don't believe Gronk comps until I see it in the NFL).     That's just a crazy combo, with a very high floor.

I usually stay away from TE round 1, OJ Howard was the last guy I'd have been fine with (but that was when we were at 1.20 too, so different tier of options as alternatives).  I do think Hockenson is that good.  There's always risk, though.  In a lot of ways, the thing that I like the most is that unlike the win-now pick, Hockenson is a pick whose ceiling expands exponentially in year 2-3.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

The Raiders had Haskins in for a workout last week, then sent their scouts home so their pick wouldn't be leaked. This could be pointing to the raiders taking Haskins at 4. IF the raiders take Haskins at 4, I think the Giants panic and take lock at 6 and the Redskins trade ahead of Denver (likely with Det) for Daniel Jones. In this scenario the top 9 would go something like:

1) Murray

2) Bosa

3) Allen

4) Haskins

5) Q. Williams (I know TB has been linked to White but I dont see them passing up Quinnen Williams)

6) Lock

7) Hockenson

8) Jones

9) J. Williams

Who would you take at 10? Ed Oliver? D. White? D. Bush?

Maybe my Michigan fandom is showing but I would still go with Bush in that scenario. I'm not sure he is going to be markedly better than White, or White markedly better than him, I think both end up Pro Bowl-caliber ILBs, but I think the Fangio connection with Harbaugh tips the scales that way. It's been reported that Elway is listening more closely to Fangio than he has to previous coaches when it comes to the draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Maybe my Michigan fandom is showing but I would still go with Bush in that scenario. I'm not sure he is going to be markedly better than White, or White markedly better than him, I think both end up Pro Bowl-caliber ILBs, but I think the Fangio connection with Harbaugh tips the scales that way. It's been reported that Elway is listening more closely to Fangio than he has to previous coaches when it comes to the draft. 

I don't know what the odds are, but it would be a massive upset if both Devins were on the board at 1.10.  My bigger fear is that both Devins, Hockenson AND Haskins are all gone by 1.10.  Then we're hosed, even a trade back seems unlikely, unless a team wants to move up for Lock and we're passing on him (two big IF's).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I don't know what the odds are, but it would be a massive upset if both Devins were on the board at 1.10.  My bigger fear is that both Devins, Hockenson AND Haskins are all gone by 1.10.  Then we're hosed, even a trade back seems unlikely, unless a team wants to move up for Lock and we're passing on him (two big IF's).

Yes that would be a nightmare scenario

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The way the math works out in this scenario would be that Oliver would likely be available. I know he's not a perfect scheme fit but a disruptive force to put on the D-Line with Wolfe, Gotsis, Harris, etc wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The way the math works out in this scenario would be that Oliver would likely be available. I know he's not a perfect scheme fit but a disruptive force to put on the D-Line with Wolfe, Gotsis, Harris, etc wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

I don't have a problem with Oliver - but the part that's iffier is because of the scheme, Elway could get cold feet.  That's a mistake IMO, but if it's not QB, it's likely a win-now, and let's face it, we've seen Elway go win-now, need first.  That's where things get scary, given Elway's Rd1 track record of weighing need/now vs. overall best talent.

If he took Oliver, I would applaud the choice as BPA winning out with those guys off the board.  I actually have Oliver right there with Bush/White, so the need is fine to use as a tiebreaker.  If we went for a CB over Oliver, or Lock, though...man.

Edited by Broncofan

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Yes that would be a nightmare scenario

But - in that situation, good chance Oliver is there.  So if both Devins, Haskins, and Hockenson are gone, Murray will be gone, Bosa, Allen and Williams will be gone. That’s 8.  Whose the 9th? Likely Oliver or  Williams, maybe the other edge (Sweatz?), and all signs point to Jags taking Williams. 

I’d take Oliver and BBK all day over White/Bush and whatever day 3 DL we might find. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

But - in that situation, good chance Oliver is there.  So if both Devins, Haskins, and Hockenson are gone, Murray will be gone, Bosa, Allen and Williams will be gone. That’s 8.  Whose the 9th? Likely Oliver or  Williams, maybe the other edge (Sweatz?), and all signs point to Jags taking Williams. 

I’d take Oliver and BBK all day over White/Bush and whatever day 3 DL we might find. 

See above, no problem if we went Oliver.  Like I said, I think the risk is that Elway passes over him for present need.  Haskins, White/Bush & Hockenson all fit the BPA mold, who just happen to fit great needs for us.   Oliver is by BPA right there, but the present-day need isn't as clear - which is very scary. 

Edited by Broncofan