Sign in to follow this  
jsthomp2007

I have one mock, and only one mock, I will play it first

Posted (edited)

**Trade - I think this is the draft the Broncos trade back and pick up an additional third.  I think it's tempting to stay at the #10 overall to take Haskins, but I think the play is to draft QBOTF next year, if needed.  I am not going to go through the who will be the trade partners, perhaps the Panthers, Redskins, or another team aiming for their pick.  In exchange, I think the Broncos can trade back in the first and get at least a third round pick.  

***Trade - Chris Harris to Detroit for their 2nd round pick.  They need a corner, and with the bad blood stirring between him and Elway, Elway ships him to a team that probably has little to no chance of contending for anything...but, then again who knows...maybe Patricia has the magic that steer that team around and perhaps CHJ takes his leadership skills to the Lions and propels them into the Super Bowl.  

#1. Christian Wilkins, Clemson- I like everything about this pick as it addresses a need along the defensive line and provides great value.  I think with Harris, Wolfe, Kerr, Gotsis, add Wilkins the Broncos will have a solid front three. (CHANGED-didn't realize Simmons could miss entire 2018). 

#2 from Detroit. Lonnie Johnson CB, Kentucky  - After the CHJ trade, the Broncos find themselves needing a CB, and I like the youth movement for the new backfield with Yiadom and johnson on the outside.  I would be surprised if the Broncos bring in another veteran along with Kareem to bring the group up.  But, I think Johnson can come in and contribute right away and he has the makings of a Fangio type CB who is physical and who can tackle.  I also have no idea why his stock is falling, but hopefully that trend continues and he is there.  I used to think he was a top 10 CB in this draft.  If Baker isn't there Julian Love or D. Baker would be my next choice. 

#2. Dalton Risner, OL, Kanasa State - I think he would be great considering his versatility and the Broncos need obvious depth along the offensive line.  He can play guard or center. I like McGovern at center, but some in here have noted that he is a solid guard and poor center.  In that case Risner can fill in as a long-term center solution.  A nice offensive line make up of Bolles, Leary, Risner, McGovern, and Thomas make for one of the better offensive line groups the Broncos have had in awhile. 

#3. Germaine Pratt, ILB, North Carolina State - ILBers in the drafts lately have been slipping into later rounds...wish that were true for Devin White, but alas, I think the Broncos pick up an ILB that Fangio could groom into a very solid contributor, who could finally solve the riddle at ILB since Trevethan left.  

#3 from TBD team. Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State - I believe the Broncos brought him in for a visit and he seems like he has similar athletic traits that we haven't seen from a Broncos TE since Julian Thomas, I think he provides the team with some good TE sets with either him, and Butt, or him and Heureman.  I think, however, by the end of the year becomes a weapon the Broncos main TE.  

#4. Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn -  I think he could go in the third, but also could see him slipping, and think that as a 4th round pick provides incredible value.  I think the jury still might be out on him.  I read good reviews of him at the Senior Bowl and the combine.  Being in SEC country before last year, he was marked as one of the better SEC quarterbacks.  However, last year there was a lot of talk about how he didn't have a good offensive line, new systems, etc. But, I think if you are the QB you have to lift rest of the team to your level as the leader, and he failed to do that.  Physically, he has it all there, perhaps Scangeraeiou can shape into the QBOTF? 

#5. Ben Banogu, DE/OLB, TCU - With the departure of Shaq Barrett, and Shane Ray gone, that leaves Holland there as the lone backup to Von and Chubb, and could see some depth added with the #5 pick. Walters Football said that he can be developed into a starter.

#6. Olisaemeka Udoh, OT, Elon - It seems like every year the Broncos have an offensive lineman go down for a few games, if not the entire season, and think depth is an absolute at the position, especially since the Broncos do not have a mobile QB.  And, I'd like to see what Munch can do with a raw, talented, small school guy like Udoh.  Certainly there was an investment in Thomas, but if the Broncos can shape a young right tackle into a solid player then the Broncos are set at the RT position for awhile, which has been a problem position to fill recently.  Moreover, who knows Bolles' future...he seems like a Broncos lifer and we don't quite know his ceiling yet, but if he has reached that ceiling, then perhaps Udoh could be a good replacement in a year or two. 

#7. Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo -  I was going to go WR here, or somewhere in the draft.  But I think the trio the Broncos have will be formidable, especially with Oliver in the fold.  I think Sutton and Hamilton progress, and Sanders returns to form.  And, Patrick was coming on strong last year as well.  Ergo, I am going with Tyree Jackson with the 7th, because I think a 7th round pick should be a wild card pick, and Jackson is that...who knows what you will get with him.  If he can put it together at the next level with some quality coaching, he could easily surpass Stidham and Hogan for the backup spot, and who knows, we might have a stud QB...then again, he might be a slightly better version of Paxton Lynch.    

Edited by jsthomp2007

Posted (edited)

I love Simmons, but I don't see Elway passing on QB and then going with a guy who's a strong bet to redshirt most of year 1 at 1.10.

Baker & Risner are fine Day 2 picks.

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I love Simmons, but I don't see Elway passing on QB and then going with a guy who's a strong bet to redshirt most of year 1 at 1.10.

Baker & Risner are fine Day 2 picks.

I hope Haskins is there and we take him.  But, I get the sense that they are in fact settled with Flacco for a year.  I mean, you could substitute Simmons with Dexter Lawrence or any of the Clemson DLs if you want to.  I just think if the pick isn't a QB...then the defense will get addressed in the first.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I hope Haskins is there and we take him.  But, I get the sense that they are in fact settled with Flacco for a year.  I mean, you could substitute Simmons with Dexter Lawrence or any of the Clemson DLs if you want to.  I just think if the pick isn't a QB...then the defense will get addressed in the first.  

If that's the case, unless the Devins are both gone, I think that's where Elway goes.    If both are gone, good chance Hockenstein falls to 1.10.  The worst-case is where Haskins, Hockenstein and both Devins are gone.  

If there's a guy to trade up for into the end of the 1st, Simmons might be the non-QB you want to consider, though.   His injury stock will likely have him fall into the 20's, but on pure talent he's a top 5-10 pick.   I would not be surprised to see that happen (someone trades up if he falls hard enough into late Rd1).  Just don't see Elway investing into Simmons at barely discount price when he's supposedly win-now.   I prefer the BPA over need philosophy for sure in Rd1, but that's not been Elway's MO at all, and his statements and FA actions do align he's not interested in waiting (except for a QBOTF who's worth it, just a question of if both Lock/Haskins fit, or just Haskins).

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Love the second and third round. 

Thanks...think the first round pick is a total crap shoot right now.  Like Broncofan said, if one of the Devin's is there the Broncos trading back is moot, and my Germaine Pratt pick is shot.  

All the picks but the QB's are good. I would hate it if the Broncos drafted Stidham and Jackson. Clayton Thorson would be better.

I don't mind the picks in this draft at all, but some of the late round IMO are unlikely to happen. 

I would expect Josh Oliver to go significantly higher than people would expect. I feel the same about Ben Banogu and Tyree Jackson. If we did land them where you have them, I'd be thrilled.