What are some of NFL's longest unresolved mysteries?

TecmoSuperJoe

I was recently thinking about the Marcus Allen/Al Davis saga that we still have never gotten a clear cut answer about. Essentially what was the reason Allen was kept in Davis' doghouse for so long. Obviously we'll most likely never know now definitively. But I was thinking what else is out there in NFL lore that is just as captivating a mystery. There is the Immaculate Reception of course. Also one that I've thought about is Eli Manning not wanting to play for San Diego. What was it exactly about the organization that convinced the Manning family so much to pull a stunt like that? 

I'm trying to think of others I feel that are out there, but it's harder than I thought it would be. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I was recently thinking about the Marcus Allen/Al Davis saga that we still have never gotten a clear cut answer about. Essentially what was the reason Allen was kept in Davis' doghouse for so long. Obviously we'll most likely never know now definitively. But I was thinking what else is out there in NFL lore that is just as captivating a mystery. There is the Immaculate Reception of course. Also one that I've thought about is Eli Manning not wanting to play for San Diego. What was it exactly about the organization that convinced the Manning family so much to pull a stunt like that? 

I'm trying to think of others I feel that are out there, but it's harder than I thought it would be. 

What about the other Manning?

HGH was delivered to Peyton's home and everyone just buys the excuse that it was for his wife.  If that was Brady, he would have been run out of the league. Instead the story gets completely buried... much like his harassment charges in college.  Buried... and then buried again after Peyton mentioned it in his book.

Whoever that family has working for them in PR is doing a fantastic job.

• Like 2