Overwatch

cddolphin

On 7/11/2018 at 10:02 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I LOVE Brig in theory, a healer that can protect themselves better than almost any other character in the game, but you can really pin all the brokenness of her character on the fact that she can shield bash Rein right out of his shield. That little ability alone changes the meta of the game. Sure, you could argue her health pool is too big or her range is too wide, but the real problem with her is that simple stun on Rein. 

I also just think her skill floor is a bit too high, same as Moira. You can really wreak havoc as either character without much experience just because their toolkits are so strong and easy to utilize. 

Eh. Brigitte's big impact on the game really isn't against Rein though. If you're letting a melee character without any real mobility abilities get that close to you with your shield up, either you or your team have probably already done something wrong anyways. It's really no worse than letting a Hog or a McCree walk right up to stun, or letting a Doomfist or Rein get that close so they have a point blank punch/charge (Hog would have to walk through the shield to hook, but that's like a two step difference.) But if you don't have someone behind the shield shooting at Brigitte before she can close that difference, that's the problem there, not that Brigitte can stun Rein through that shield at point blank range. It's either a positioning issue (like when people try to play Rein dead center of the choke on King's Row or Hanamura), or a team support issue. Brigitte is very survivable once she gets in close quarters, but at range she's pretty easy to take down still (hence snipers being the main counter to her, despite her having a shield.)

Her stun does change the meta, yeah, but she's done much more to help counter dive, because of how well she can punish characters that are built around suddenly getting in close quarters. So she has been more damaging to characters like Winston or Tracer than she has been to Rein. Rein usage has actually gone up pretty substantially since Brigitte came in.

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh. Brigitte's big impact on the game really isn't against Rein though. If you're letting a melee character without any real mobility abilities get that close to you with your shield up, either you or your team have probably already done something wrong anyways. It's really no worse than letting a Hog or a McCree walk right up to stun, or letting a Doomfist or Rein get that close so they have a point blank punch/charge (Hog would have to walk through the shield to hook, but that's like a two step difference.) But if you don't have someone behind the shield shooting at Brigitte before she can close that difference, that's the problem there, not that Brigitte can stun Rein through that shield at point blank range. It's either a positioning issue (like when people try to play Rein dead center of the choke on King's Row or Hanamura), or a team support issue. Brigitte is very survivable once she gets in close quarters, but at range she's pretty easy to take down still (hence snipers being the main counter to her, despite her having a shield.)

Her stun does change the meta, yeah, but she's done much more to help counter dive, because of how well she can punish characters that are built around suddenly getting in close quarters. So she has been more damaging to characters like Winston or Tracer than she has been to Rein. Rein usage has actually gone up pretty substantially since Brigitte came in.

Yup to the bolded.

I complain about Brigitte - but meanwhile my Rein has never been stronger. Could simply be playing with more communication.

Also, Pharah counters Brigitte quite nicely. Rein-Zarya-Zen-Mercy-Pharah-Solider/Hanzo has been a staple.

You guys need to quit this game and join the resurgence of Starcraft. It took Blizzard like 8 years, but they've finally figured out. Seems to be their only community at least today that isn't complaining in masses about the state of the game and are actually pleased.

Edited by Mossburg
  • Like 1

Just now, Mossburg said:

You guys need to quit this game and join the resurgence of Starcraft. It took Blizzard like 8 years, but they've finally figured out. Seems to be their only community at least today that isn't complaining in masses about the state of the game and are actually pleased.

lol no

2 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Someone else who plays SCII on this site? Nice. I randomly start and stop playing for months at a time.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

lol no

SC2 is for people who like video games that take both technical skill and strategic prowess, sorry bud :^)

5 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Someone else who plays SCII on this site? Nice. I randomly start and stop playing for months at a time.

SC2 is for people who like video games that take both technical skill and strategic prowess, sorry bud :^)

Yawn. 
RTS. YAWN

TBH I haven't enjoyed a Turn based game since AoE3/AoM

Just now, cddolphin said:

but it's the sweatiest I ever get playing video games, is with RTS

I get turned-based boredom, but RTS?

That's the whole theory behind "ladder anxiety". Many people can't take it and it's most prevalent in SC2 because it's a (mostly)RNG-less game and your ego has to take a massive hit when you lose because you can't blame teammates or bad card draws, or lucky headshots, or anything else other than yourself. Also doesn't help that you're basically wired to the max while playing every second of the game past like 2 minutes. I was surprised when I found out a lot of people play DOTA only with bots and some other games because of ladder anxiety.

All of Blizzard's other competitive games are completely the opposite of that now. But it's with good reason because that's what most people prefer. It's a good way to get your arse humbled real quick.

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

That's the whole theory behind "ladder anxiety". Many people can't take it and it's most prevalent in SC2 because it's a (mostly)RNG-less game and your ego has to take a massive hit when you lose because you can't blame teammates or bad card draws, or lucky headshots, or anything else other than yourself. Also doesn't help that you're basically wired to the max while playing every second of the game past like 2 minutes. I was surprised when I found out a lot of people play DOTA only with bots and some other games because of ladder anxiety.

All of Blizzard's other competitive games are completely the opposite of that now. But it's with good reason because that's what most people prefer. It's a good way to get your arse humbled real quick.

Yeah it's kind of a masochistic game in some aspects. Especially ZvZ... 

Just now, cddolphin said:

Yeah it's kind of a masochistic game in some aspects. Especially ZvZ... 

I see it differently. It's the ultimate test to conquer anxiety and fight all these subconscious shortcomings that hold you back and probably affect other parts of your life. Basically the ultimate self improvement game. If you can be super stoic in victory and defeat in this, you've actually accomplished something really important. There's also some people who run successful startups who said SC helped them master resource management and stuff like that.

4 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Nah.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:39 PM, showtime said:

Make Ana relevant again or this game will continue to suffer.  They've done their best job catering this game to people who are bad at the game rather than pushing heroes that take mechanical skill to use.

Right on schedule

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/upcoming-balance-changes-for-support-heroes/163703

Good nerf to Mercy and Brigitte.