Overwatch

cddolphin

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

xD

Pretty crazy that the closest a foreigner has ever gotten to winning Blizzcon is losing in the semi-finals.

Then you have the original Starcraft where (other than the very beginning) it was a call for celebration if a foreigner beat ANY Korean lol. 

Does anyone watch both SC2 and LoL? I wonder how the Korean strengths compare. I feel like foreigners put up a bit of a better fight in SC2 (although SC2 is dying in Korea).

OWL production is amazing. I am a CS/Dota guy but I watch most esports and I have never seen production quality like OWL. That said, the game is still not good to watch and I really don't think it ever will be. You miss a majority of the kills because most of the time they are spectating  a certain player, and the overhead cam is terrible for actually seeing what is going on.

The money and hype will carry the views for now, but I am curious what happens when the hype dies.

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

OWL production is amazing. I am a CS/Dota guy but I watch most esports and I have never seen production quality like OWL. That said, the game is still not good to watch and I really don't think it ever will be. You miss a majority of the kills because most of the time they are spectating  a certain player, and the overhead cam is terrible for actually seeing what is going on.

The money and hype will carry the views for now, but I am curious what happens when the hype dies.

I think it's just going to be an inherent problem to the game. They can do everything to make it a little bit more clear, but the problem is, there is no focal point to the game. It's like playing a basketball game with 3 balls. This could actually be okay if the game was slower so they could properly show replays, but since the fights usually last longer than the breaks, there is no real good time to show the plays. 

I don't think the game is that hard to follow if you know what to look for and you know how a typical competitive game goes. Watching things like the kill feed and ultimate use is generally good enough to tell you how a fight is going, but that isn't fun. 

With that said, it's possible it won't matter. I wouldn't really call Starcraft or any MOBA that viewer friendly either. OW in action can be a blur, but the stills look fantastic.

1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

I think it's just going to be an inherent problem to the game. They can do everything to make it a little bit more clear, but the problem is, there is no focal point to the game. It's like playing a basketball game with 3 balls. This could actually be okay if the game was slower so they could properly show replays, but since the fights usually last longer than the breaks, there is no real good time to show the plays. 

I don't think the game is that hard to follow if you know what to look for and you know how a typical competitive game goes. Watching things like the kill feed and ultimate use is generally good enough to tell you how a fight is going, but that isn't fun. 

With that said, it's possible it won't matter. I wouldn't really call Starcraft or any MOBA that viewer friendly either. OW in action can be a blur, but the stills look fantastic.

The difference between games like Dota/League is you can see everything happen. For a new player or someone who has never watched it before, they will have no clue what is going on, but for people that follow the game/play regularly you don't miss a thing(in almost every case, outside of a few plays). In Overwatch you miss SO much of the action, just because the game is so inherently fast and chaotic.

The game is going to succeed simply because blizzard poured an insane amount of money into it, but I don't think the numbers its getting now will be regularly sustained. I could be wrong though.

40 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's too early in the season to be calling teams the consensus worst or to have a power ranking.  The season last until mid-June and we're only in mid-January.

Doesn't have to be a consensus, just the perceived power going in. I loosely followed the scene in it's earlier days so I recognize a lot of names, but I don't know who was the strongest by the end before OWL started. 

1 hour ago, HighHopes said:

Doesn't have to be a consensus, just the perceived power going in. I loosely followed the scene in it's earlier days so I recognize a lot of names, but I don't know who was the strongest by the end before OWL started. 

Seoul Dynasty is probably the best team.  Dallas Fuel is 0-2 right now, but they also have an extremely talented team, so I'm sure they'll turn it around.  Shanghai Dragons might be the worst team, their team talent level just seems to be the lowest on paper and they don't really work as great together as they should at this point.

Dynasty are loaded.  They have the best support player in the league and their DPS players are arguably the best in the league as well.  Their tank play is also unreal.  The San Francisco Shock have amazing DPS and arguably their best - Sinatraa is not able to play due to his age.  I believe he'll be able to play mid-season, so roughly around March.

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

Really looking for the Mercy and Junkrat nerfs to come to live.  The game needs it so badly.

So since Rez has stopped being instantly-cast... I've done a full 180. That particularly Mercy change has been very welcome. The difference in skill floor/ceiling for Mercy players now seems much more pronounced. It's much more satisfying pulling off a clutch resurrect from behind a corner, or while your team is covering you, or simply being aware and acting sneakily.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

So since Rez has stopped being instantly-cast... I've done a full 180. That particularly Mercy change has been very welcome. The difference in skill floor/ceiling for Mercy players now seems much more pronounced. It's much more satisfying pulling off a clutch resurrect from behind a corner, or while your team is covering you, or simply being aware and acting sneakily.

The fact that Mercy only has one rez and it's not instant cast is so good for the game.  It's the strongest ability in the game and completely changes the game.  One of the problems with Mercy's rez in the past was that it's an extremely low skill ability that is un-doing high skill tactics.  I think these changes will end up being really good and put Mercy in a healthier place.

With all of that said, she's still going to be really good because her healing is extremely easy to do and she outputs a ton of healing.