Overwatch

cddolphin

17 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

Tell me how none of that is helpful?

If I charge in and pin someone and then hit them with my hammer a few times to get silver damage.  That means that the DPS players on the team aren't really outputting much damage.  Why does that matter to me as the Rein?  The only thing that matters is that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing as a tank.

It's the same thing when I play Zen and have gold healing over the Mercy on the team.  Why does that matter?  Why does it matter who has gold healing?  If you want to see your healing stats, that's fine.  But why should it tell me as the Zen that I have the most healing done?  All that's going to do is make me think..... "How am I out healing Mercy as Zen?"  "Maybe our Mercy is playing very poorly".... If we end up losing, "Man, maybe if our Mercy was actually decent she would have gold healing and we could have won."

It literally doesn't benefit anyone on the team to see who has the most damage done, the most healing done, the most eliminations, etc.  It's pointless.

The problem here is we are arguing two different things. 

Stats can accomplish both of the things we have mentioned. For one player, they use it to adjust their game. Another player will just get angry at the anomaly. I have never once disputed that. I just wanted to make the point that stats can help improvement. You sound like someone who gets angry at the stats, I don't. Stats aren't the be all end all determinant of how a game is going, but it can certainly give context to the situation.

Edited by HighHopes
I messed up alot of words and added more lol

17 hours ago, HighHopes said:

The problem here is we are arguing two different things. 

Stats can accomplish both of the things we have mentioned. For one player, they use it to adjust their game. Another player will just get angry at the anomaly. I have never once disputed that. I just wanted to make the point that stats can help improvement. You sound like someone who gets angry at the stats, I don't. Stats aren't the be all end all determinant of how a game is going, but it can certainly give context to the situation.

I don't get angry at anything in this game.  in-game stats are just completely useless.  Medals give no context to anything, that's actually part of the problem.

Medals in this game do far more negative than they do positive.  For every person who you say uses all that stuff to become a better player, there are 300 more people who are using them for something negative.

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

Medals in this game do far more negative than they do positive.  For every person who you say uses all that stuff to become a better player, there are 300 more people who are using them for something negative.

I get both sides to this.

I think the problem is that since medals only show what you are doing, you are kind of forced to make suppositions about the performance of the other players when trying to make adjustments.

If I'm two-stacking with my buddy and we're both tanking as DVA and Zarya with gold and silver elims yet losing team fights, the natural progression (in plat anyway) is to suggest that the DPS aren't 'getting it done' or need to switch to other more effective characters since there is an imbalance within the team. But maybe it's the case that your soldier is getting constantly jumped immediately by a tracer or a winston and instead of DVA protecting him, she's off flanking and chasing that bling.

Just now, cddolphin said:

I get both sides to this.

I think the problem is that since medals only show what you are doing, you are kind of forced to make suppositions about the performance of the other players when trying to make adjustments.

If I'm two-stacking with my buddy and we're both tanking as DVA and Zarya with gold and silver elims yet losing team fights, the natural progression (in plat anyway) is to suggest that the DPS aren't 'getting it done' or need to switch to other more effective characters since there is an imbalance within the team. But maybe it's the case that your soldier is getting constantly jumped immediately by a tracer or a winston and instead of DVA protecting him, she's off flanking and chasing that bling.

That's the natural progression in every rank in the game.  Plat players understand the game enough to know what their role is for whatever hero they're playing and what they're supposed to be doing.

I've never seen one reason as to why having gold, silver, and bronze medals during a game is a positive thing.  Other than people just wanting to see that stuff.  Overwatch is one of the most team based/focus FPS games ever and those medals focus on individual performance with absolutely no context with it.  It's just useless.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

This could inherently be because you guys don't have a shield tank and therefore aren't creating enough space for others to work. 

Stats in Overwatch, like any real sport, should only be used in conjunction with the eye test.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I haven't played that much comp over the last week due to Monster Hunter, but I'm looking forward to pulling out Ana and not having people complain that I should be playing Mercy instead.

=)

Had a win yesterday with Ana / Moira + triple tank. It was glorious. I missed the triple tank meta.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Haven't played in a while. Is roadhog still a terrible choice or is he back in as a solid option? I know he can move while healing now

He's played more often but not as much as DVA, Zarya, Orisa.

Apparently my percption doesn't match reality:

https://www.overbuff.com/heroes

DVA 30.28%
Hog 17.61%
Rein 17.57%
Zarya 14.48%
Orisa 12.21%
Winston 7.85%

Edited by cddolphin

13 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Haven't played in a while. Is roadhog still a terrible choice or is he back in as a solid option? I know he can move while healing now

Roadhog is perfectly viable. The hook just needs to be used a bit more intelligently since it isn't just an instant pick move anymore.