Overwatch

cddolphin

On 9/2/2017 at 5:30 PM, showtime said:

Bringing up League of Legends is an interesting point because there is a pick and ban phase in every moba during the lobby phase of a ranked match.  I will make a prediction that a pick and ban phase will be coming to Overwatch ranked game play at some point.  There really aren't enough characters in Overwatch to have a full blown pick and ban phase like mobas have, but I am really hoping that by the end of the year or early next year they implement a short pick and ban phase - maybe one ban per team until the roster grows.

I made this post on September 2, 2017.  There has recently been talk from huge figures in the Overwatch community that the game needs this moving forward.  Right now, the game has an unbearable, boring, and stale meta.  This is being experimented with in PUG matches and semi-pro matches at the moment and is seeing really good success.  Hopefully Blizzard is keeping tabs on everything that is going on and this gets implemented into the actual game.

10 minutes ago, showtime said:

I made this post on September 2, 2017.  There has recently been talk from huge figures in the Overwatch community that the game needs this moving forward.  Right now, the game has an unbearable, boring, and stale meta.  This is being experimented with in PUG matches and semi-pro matches at the moment and is seeing really good success.  Hopefully Blizzard is keeping tabs on everything that is going on and this gets implemented into the actual game.

Yeah but the problem is that it's always either Brig or D Va. and that more or less shoehorns teams into running Rein Zarya, or Dive depending on the map. It makes the scope of viable comps very limited.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Yeah but the problem is that it's always either Brig or D Va. and that more or less shoehorns teams into running Rein Zarya, or Dive depending on the map. It makes the scope of viable comps very limited.

It won't always be Brig or D.Va, though.  I'm not just talking about now, I'm talking for the future health of the game.  A pick/ban phase also allows developers to alter and change metas by buffing/nerfing characters and it's not as big of a deal.  Plus, just as an example, there will be targeted bans.  Ana may not be worth a ban in most cases, but if you're playing against Ryujehong, maybe you take Ana away.  Do you and your team have a certain strategy that a particular character heavily interferes with - then  maybe you ban that character and let Brig through.

It changes team comps and the way the game is played.

Pick and ban works in a MOBA where there's no hero switching. You do that in a hero shooter that's designed around hero switching and you break the game even more than it's already broken. It also is anathema to their choices to make character profiles private so that you can't at a glance see who favors which hero and adjust your pre-fight accordingly. 

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Herbie_Hancock said:

Widow

Mercy

Zarya

Lucio

Symmetra 

All the new xmas skins ive seen. Terrible

I don't like most of them, either, but that Mercy skin is really good, IMO.  I never play Mercy, so I'm not going to get it unless I open it in a loot box.

The summer games skins mostly sucked too.  The baseball Zen and football Rein just don't look good.  Great concepts in theory, but I just don't like the way they came out.

Also, I'm hoping McCree gets a new skin this event.

7 hours ago, Danger said:

The Halloween skins were all pretty good (not a fan of Doomfish personally) 

But yeah, the only one I objectively can see being good so far is the Mercy skin, and I'm not a fan of the whole Elf Ears thing. The rest are dogs***

Completely agree regarding the Halloween skins this year. I wanted them all. 

The krampus junkrat they dropped just now looks goooooooood doe

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Blizzard finally kills Brig and instead of making any other changes they just allow flankers to dominate backlines again like nothing while supports are even weaker than they were before Brig was introduced. Great, it's just so ******* fun playing a support on this game.

lol you really don't know anything about the state of the game right now if that's how you feel.

The Meta right now is GOATS aka 3 healers and 3 tanks.

The Brig nerf actually buffs GOATS defensively because the primary way to fight against GOATS is for Brig's shield bash to knock down rein's shield, so it's a buff for a triple support comp indirectly. 

And Brig can still use Shield bash just as often, she just can't make Tracer useless by simply existing anymore. This META we're in right now is the 2nd worst only to the Mercy META.

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Blizzard finally kills Brig and instead of making any other changes they just allow flankers to dominate backlines again like nothing while supports are even weaker than they were before Brig was introduced. Great, it's just so ******* fun playing a support on this game.

Basically, what they tried to do with this patch was make Brig more of a support player and less of a DPS.  Before, she would be able to one shot a tracer, now it's hard for her to do that because she does less damage.  In addition, she heals more.   For example, she used to be able to just combo a Tracer to death and she can't do that anymore.

Nobody knows how this will work at this point because the patch just came out today, but the ultimate goal is for Brig to be a viable secondary support kind of how Lucio is.  She would be able to protect a Mercy or Ana when Genji or Tracer jump on them.  Right now, that is not her role at all.  Right now she is used more like a tanky DPS that can be apart of a frontline.

They also completely took away the fact that she could shield bash Rein through his shield which is also a huge plus.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

They also completely took away the fact that she could shield bash Rein through his shield which is also a huge plus.

I stopped playing this game a few months ago, but still check on this thread... the fact that took so long is ridiculous. As a Rein main, Brig was one of many reasons I tapered my playing and eventually stopped.

19 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I stopped playing this game a few months ago, but still check on this thread... the fact that took so long is ridiculous. As a Rein main, Brig was one of many reasons I tapered my playing and eventually stopped.

To me, Blizzard is way too cautious with nerfs and buffs.  Brig has been overpowered the second she was released and it took them this long to finally tone her down a decent amount.  They've nerfed her at least 2-3 times already, but this one is by far the most impactful nerf she has ever received.  As you said, very long overdue.  

I really like this change a lot.  Maybe she needs a bit more to make her feel more like a support.  The huge problem with her in the past was - She's the strongest character in the game so she HAS to be on every team, but she doesn't provide enough healing to be one of the two 'supports', so you needed a Brig plus the two actual supports.  All of these changes are aimed to make her a secondary support, so hopefully it works well.

The biggest key to that happening is that she actually needs to be able to heal consistently at a decent rate like Lucio is able to do.

• 5 months later...