2019 Kamikura Kamikazes - 4th Season

Techbert

DRAFT SUMMARY:

1-2 Nick Bosa de OSU SF 1-2 (0)
2-34 Rock Ya-Sin cb Tem Ind 2-34 (0)
2-46 Greedy Williams cb LSU Cle 2-46 (0)
3-67 Chauncey Gardner-Williams s UF NO 4-105 (28)
3-77 Chase Winovich de Mich NE 3-77 (0)
4-129 Jarrett Stidham qb Aub NE 4-133 (4)
4-135 Deionte Thompson s Ala Az 5-139 (4)
6-179 Emeke Egbule lb Hou LAC 6-200 (21)
7-221 Jimmy Moreland cb JMU Wash 7-229 (8)

The numbers in parentheses are the draft selection above where they were picked IRL, and they are ridiculously close. Bosa is explained, cuz it was an obvious pick. Greedy was the results of some draft trade shenanigans that I justify because IRL there are draft day shenanigans. Rock and Chase were just "luck," as I did not know they were selected with the same pick until after I had posted. The others were amazingly close, even CGW and Ehbule.

I typically have a player or two in rounds 2-4 that drops. I used to panic about it, but then I noticed that often the dropping player did well for me. Grady Jarrett with the Bull is an example. I picked him in the 2nd round, which was reasonable to me at the time, and he somehow dropped to the 5th round. Was I somehow a terrible drafter, as Grady dropped like a rock? No. He typically gets redrafted as a 1st rounder in those hindsight articles. So I don't care about the gaps. Naturally, as soon as I stop caring the gaps went away. Rounds 5-7 are very much personal preference picks, and one team's key picks is another team's udfa. So I don't care about that. One year I pick Quentin Spain, who is IRL udfa but a league starter. Another year I pick a 5th rounder that does not even sniff a roster. No biggie.

Edited by Techbert
  • Like 1

My draft strategy.

I really did have one, although it may not have been obvious.

I lost a starting cb, s, and lb. Further, I didn't (and don't) think Daryl Worley is the type of player Mayock wants on the Raiders. I like Jalen Mills as a red zone corner but he can be beaten long. I drafted Josh Jackson last year, but am not sold on him. Mackensie Alexander is going to be a good slot guy this year but I may lose him next year. Crawley is the type of corner who is best when he doesn't have to play. So I had some real weaknesses on the back half. I was also thin at linebacker. 

I liked a lot of this draft's db's and didn't like many of the lb's.

Round 1. Bosa, of course. That gives me two beasts at DE, with Bosa and Myles Garrett. One is naturally RDE and the other is naturally strong side DE. Lots of sacks and pressure. Good setting the edge on the run. Beasts. Envy me. I had good DT's and some depth. Everything would get funneled inside, right to Fred Warner and Jamal Adams. So far, so good.

But what kind of corners do I want, with Garrett and Bosa spreading terror? Easy answer. With the opposing quarterbacks throwing quick-hitters, I want press corners. So I need to find press corners. Any press corners that could play the outside? Why, yes. Let's see who slides to pick 34.  Someone might, and if I got one I would declare victory. My top two corners were Rock and Greedy, with Rock having the much higher floor. There they were! So I picked them both. Then I got cute with a trade offer and almost lost Greedy. That would not have broken my heart cuz I have serious questions about the boy but I also wanted what he brought to the table. With the two corners secured, I went about replacing my defensive team captain, Tyrann Mathieu. I was going to take the easy way out with Nasir Adderley. Swiss army knife safety like Jamal Adams, so I could do whatever I wanted with them. Lots of disguise. No bad mismatches. Only trouble was Adderley, cousin or something of legend Herb Adderley, and I like bloodlines, went 7 picks ahead of me. Oh, well.

He was the last complete safety on my list. (Also my first, but whatever.) The other safeties I did not think were the full package. So I would have to have multiple safeties to do multiple things on defense, or an opposing offense could find mismatches to exploit. Also, I was looking at having to play crap linebackers. Did I want to start Kamu Grugier-Hill and Jordan Evans, with waiver wire depth?

Ahah! A solution. It is called Sub Packages! The Chargers discovered they could beat you with zero or one linebackers for most of the game. If they can do it, why can't I. They had a lot of defensive backs and they were good and they could do different things. I had Jamal Adams, one or two others, and whatever rookies I could find. Press corners? Acquired.. I needed safeties.

Who dropped into my lap but CGW. Unlike a lot on here, I thought it was reasonable for him to slide, but I do think he can play the muscle slot, and you absolutely need that if you are going to rely on dime packages. Offenses for years have split out the tight ends or used jumbo wideouts. Muscle slots are the answer. They also play the run and blitz. Not quite the same as a box safety, but don't worry about it. Adams can play it, but I did not want to tie him down with all the other things he can do. Mills probably could, and I would have to teach him to play it, moving him inside. CGW is born for it, and spent his last year in college doing it.

I plan on starting Tashaun Gipson at fee safety, but I also want to move him around and I need to groom someone to replace him. Why not Deionte Thompson? He was dropping, but he is a natural high safety. Turned out Deionte has some degenerative stuff going on, but there is a good chance he can have a good career anyway. He just has to stay healthy, which is a bit of a challenge for him. Still, I'd throw a late 4th at a chance to groom him, and did.  That just leaves the quick slot. Oh, look! Jimmy Moreland. Very quick, and a turnover machine when he is not getting kicked off the team for being a petty thief. I am betting he will continue with the one and has outgrown the other, and what else do you do with a 7th?

In-between, I added defensive end depth, which is nice, and I got my sleeper quarterback, which I needed. Everyone has a sleeper quarterback. Stidham was mine, and apparently Belichick's too. I did pick one linebacker, who ironically was selected by the Chargers, my model team for de-emphasizing linebackers.

For better or worse, this is how Evil Techbert rolls.

Edited by Techbert
  • Like 1

UDFA

I have a more sophisticated methodology than Jrry32 on signing UDFA. It is based on targeting players and having a higher chance on some than others. Basically, I give myself an 80% chance of signing two players not in the Top 32 of Zierlein's  (NFL.Com) undrafted players, 50% chance of signing two players in the Top 32. Then I make a list of players of (90-x)*2 in length, where x = players counting against the 90 man roster after the draft but before any UDFA are signed, and I have a 33% chance of getting each of them. If I have any remaining slots, I give them to people who only have camp invites, and it is hard sometimes to tell which are which.

(This is different from the first two years of an expansion team, where it is easy to convince players to come, as there is a good chance of making the roster of an expansion team.)

Alternately, I give up all the targeting of any top UDFA to mirror one team at one position. The Chicago Bears, and I, cut Cody Parkey and are throwing our time at replacing him. The Bears signed 4 UDFA and gave invites to 4 more. So did I. I expect them to release and sign out the yang until they like someone. Rather than try to keep up with that, I am just saying I sign...

Any UDFA or FA kicker the Bears sign

Also,

Albert Higgins dt Clem Houy  
Darius West s Ky NYG

That's it. So no premium WR for the Kamis. No one I really liked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a few old transactions I never got around to posting.

Signed...
Jamie Collins lb NE
Terrelle Pryor wr Jax
CJ Anderson rb Det
Kevin White wr Az
Logan Thomas te Det

I got my supplemental draft guys. I meant to edit it to say 4th round and 5th round, but it didn't happen in time. (Too many geisha girls for Evil Techbert, I guess.)

Edited by Techbert

Training Camp!

90-Man Roster

10 qb Jimmy Garoppolo SF
(58) qb Jarrett Stidham NE
08 qb Brandon Allen LAR
07 qb Cardale Jones LAC
16 qb JT Barrett NO

28 rb Joe Mixon Cin
24 rb Jordan Howard Phi
27 rb Kareem Hunt Cle (Suspended)
26 rb CJ Anderson Det
30 rb Kenneth Dixon Bal
23 rb Brian Hill Atl
40 rb Bo Scarbrough Sea
35 rb Ryan Nall Chi

18 wr Josh Doctson Was
17 wr Anthony Miller Chi
12 wr Dede Westbrook Jax
11 wr Antonio Callaway Cle
10 wr Terrelle Pryor Jax
16 wr Robert Foster Buf
xx wr Marcus Simms Jax
17 wr Andy Jones Det
17 wr Vyncint Smith Hou
18 wr Kevin White Az
18 wr Quincy Adeboyejo Bal
83 wr Cyril Grayson NO
83 wr Krishawn Hogan Ind
89 wr Braxton Miller Phi

85 te George Kittle SF
80 te Jake Butt Den
84 te Ben Braunecker Chi
82 te Logan Thomas Det
85 te Bug Howard Den
49 te Moritz Boehringer Cin (Exempt)

61 ot Marcus Cannon NE
70 ot Bobbie Massie Chi
74 ot TJ Clemmings Chi
79 ot Antonio Garcia Ind
68 ot Conor McDermott Buf
56 og Quenton Nelson Ind
65 og Cody Whitehair Chi
72 og Eric Kush Cle
71 og Bryan Witzmann
64 og Dorian Johnson Car
56 og Nico Siragusa Ind
68 c James Daniels Chi
64 c Jake Brendel Den
63 c Anthony Fabiano Phi

95 de Myles Garrett Cle
97 de Nick Bosa SF
52 de Chase Winovich NE
95 de/lb Roy Robertson-Harris Chi
94 de/dt Dean Lowry GB
57 de/lb Noah Spence TB
56 de Mike Love Buf
95 de Joe Ostman Phi
79 dt Javon Hargrave Pit
99 dt Andrew Billings Cin
93 dt Timmy Jernigan Phi
93 dt DJ Jones SF

54 ilb Fred Warner SF
59 ilb Danny Trevathan Chi
(8) olb Jamie Collins NE
54 olb Kamu Grugier-Hill Phi
50 olb Jordan Evans Cin
49 olb Shaquem Griffin Sea
51 lb Emeke Egbule LAC
52 lb Emmanuel Ellerbee Sea
49 lb James Cowser Oak
74 lb/de Shilique Calhoun NE
40 lb JT Jones Pit

33 ss Jamal Adams NYJ
39 fs Tashaun Gipson Hou
24 ss Kentrell Brice TB
38 db Brandon Bryant NYJ
40 db Brandon Wilson Cin
46 db Josh Kalu Ten
22 s/cb Chauncey Gardner-Williams NO
35 s Deionte Thompson Az
xx s Jalen Thompson Az

31 cb Jalen Mills Phi
20 cb Daryl Worley Oak
34 cb Rock Ya-Sin Ind
26 cb Greedy Williams Cle
20 cb Mackensie Alexander Min
37 cb Josh Jackson GB
25 cb Jimmy Moreland Wash
20 cb Ken Crawley NO

15 k Eddy Piniero Chi
8 k Elliott Fry Chi
2 p Matt Haack Mia
48 ls Andrew DePaola Oak
47 ls Trent Sieg Oak

Edited by Techbert

• 2 weeks later...

Offensive Unit Previews:

QB - lives or dies by Jimmy Garoppolo's return. It's that simple. Rookie Stidham may have a future, but he is raw. Showing as strong-armed and accurate, which is a good start. The rest are practice squad or cuts. Real need for a veteran backup. Evil Techbert does not seem to care, but the pros in the building are watching the cuts of other teams.

RB - Joe Mixon is the starter. Has a full toolbox and has emerged as among the league's best, but runs behind a shaky OL IRL. The new Bengal staff has put in some changes that should help him. Jordan Howard was thrown away by the Bears, and I am not sure why. Lot of yards. Great pass pro. Money near the goal line. They say the needle is pointing down, but he's only 24 and better than a committee back. I think Chicago overworked him and he will come back strong. Philly has a stable of RB's so Jordan can maximize the carries he gets, much like on the Kamis. Kareem Hunt is the suspended homerun hitter. He's in a crowded backfield IRL as well as here, but has great talent and can catch the ball. He could start in Cleveland by the end of the year and will get carries as long as his groin heals. The key for Kareem is convincing the team he has put his troubles behind him, and that may be a tough sell. CJ Anderson stepped in for Gurley late, and the Rams did not miss a beat. All four should be able to run effectively behind the style of OL the Kamis have.

Kenneth Dixon has tantalized Kami fans for three years with excellent ability, but between injuries and suspension has not been on the field. May get cut, which is a shame because I think he can make a team happy somewhere if it all comes together for him. Brian Hill has some big back ability and special teams coverage ability, but the IRL coaches have other favorites. Could help if injuries force his current coach to use him again. Bo Scarbrough is also a big back who has a good chance of making his IRL team, but is in an uphill battle for the Kamis. Ryan Nall's IRL coaches like him, and he may be 50/50 for the last RB slot on the Bears.

WR - Josh Doctson is just not getting the love of the coaches, but should lead the IRL team in catches. Anthony Miller played through a bad shoulder rather than have season-ending surgery, and should be 2nd on his IRL team behind Allen Robinson. Dede Westbrook has a better quarterback this year and has already established chemistry with him. He also has clear ownership of the slot. Antonio Callaway is the speed receiver on his IRL team. Robert Foster is running with the second team, but he is only a hair away from the starters. I expect Vyncint Smith to make his IRL team but not play much until injuries happen.

I signed two veterans who have underperformed elsewhere: Terrelle Pryor and Kevin White. Not sure I expect anything from either. White has the open path to a roster spot and playing time, and Pryor has experience in the system in Jax. Andy Jones appears to be 50/50 to make his IRL team, maybe slightly more due to special teams skills. Cyril Grayson is a speedster who is in his best situation in NO. I may be in the minority but I think he has a chance to make the team. Marcus Simms is trouble, but he has some talent. I expect a year on a developmental squad to see if he grows up or self-destructs. Krishawn Hogan is less than 50/50 to make his IRL team and has a far less chance to make the Kamis. I don't know why Braxton Miller is still on the Kami roster. Quincy Adeboyejo has a zero chance of making his team, IRL and fake, as he was released with an injury designation.

Miller, Westbrook, Callaway, Foster, Smith, and maybe Jones and Grayson are all young wide receivers who are better pros today because they have a year under their belts. For some, this will mean improved stats. Not all, as some need injuries to those ahead of them, but they are still better than they were when that splashed last season.

TE - George Kittle is a legitimate star. Stretches the field, gets a lot of catches, and loves to block. He's an odd duck, but that's okay. Ben Braunecker will see the field IRL and on the Kamis. Jake Butt and Bug Howard cannot stay healthy, and that is terrible when fighting for a roster slot. Logan Thomas is showing some skill but has IRL premium talent ahead of him. My man Mo Boehringer is an international Pathways project, and does not count against the roster limits.

OL - All hail Quenton Nelson. He's my best offensive player, but the position does not get the respect it deserves. When you break him down, his impact is unbelievable. Generally accepted that he played as a human rookie his first five or six games, and played as a Olympian God All-Pro the rest of the way. In their first 6 games, the Colts went 1-5. The rest of the way they went 9-1 and split two playoff games. Andy Luck was coming back from a lost season due to shoulder injury, and had his highest QBR in his career. He cannot do that without the best protection in his career. Marlon Mack raised his rushing yards from 358 to 905 and added roughly a yard per carry. Two third-day rookies each got over 300 yards rushing. They cannot do that without space to run.

So what do the analytics people say? Running behind QN added 2.5 yards per rush above average. He was 2nd best LG in the league at keeping rushers more than 5 feet away from the passer. These numbers include his early mixed-grade part of his season. There are other stats which break the above down further, but they are consistent with the picture.

Nelson does not play to win. He plays to take away your will to compete.  He also is extremely effective at pulling and eradicating the end who is busy being responsible and setting the edge trying to kick the runs back inside.

The other guard will probably be Cody Whitehair. He was out of position at center last year and had some issues but still made the pro bowl.  James Daniels is switching with Whitehair to center, both on the Kamis and IRL.  As a rookie, Daniels allowed zero sacks, was second among rookie guards (to Nelson) in hits allowed, 4th in hurries, 3rd in pressures allowed, and lowest in penalties. I rank him as the second best rookie guard last year, ahead of Braden Smith, Frank Ragnow, and the rest. Center is his natural position.

Marcus Cannon and Bobby Massie are both plus right tackles. I have had to play one out of position at left tackle.

The above five are tough tough players easy to run behind. They are strong against inside pressure and Massie is much improved protecting the right side. They needed help at LT, where Desmond Harrison could not stay either clean nor interested. So I signed Donald Penn who is 36. We'll see if he has an effective year in him or not. If he does, my offensive line is not a weakness anymore. I also signed Ryan Kalil, who should start for the NYJ. These guys boost the Kami locker room and adds teachers for the young offensive linemen.

TJ Clemmings in on the IRL bubble. I see a path for either Garcia or McDermott to make the team, but that is not the way to bet. Eric Kush has a clearer path to make the team and could conceivably start. Witzmann is buried on the depth chart. Nico Siragusa signed with the Bills yesterday, but Dorian Johnson does not have a job. I like Brendel, but he and Fabiano look like cuts.

Edited by Techbert

Signed Donald Penn ot Wash to a 1 year deal, cuz Desmond Harrison is not a functioning adult.

As previously mentioned, cut Quincy Adeboyejo with an injury designation.

8/1 signed Ryan Kalil c NYJ to a 1 year deal. Released JT Barrett.

These are both really old guys, but the OL may look like Penn Nelson Kalil Daniels/Whitehair Cannon/Massie

8/2 Signed Cameron Meredith wr NE and put him on PUP. Gonna give his ACL more time. Dorian Johnson was already released.

More tweaking: Signed Nick Deluca lb Mia. Cut Nico Siragusa.

More tweaking: Signed Terrance Smith lb Mia. Emmanuel Ellerbee to IR.

More tweaking: Re-signed Quincy Adeboyejo wr NYJ. TJ Clemmings to IR.

Edited by Techbert

Defensive Unit Previews:

DE - I like an 8 man rotation of front four personnel, and right now I have about 10, including about 6 ends. The starters will be Myles Garrett and Nick Bosa. Myles should blow it up this year, and Bosa is a Bosa. Not much more needs to be said. Roy Robertson-Harris moves around and can rush from anywhere - outside, inside, or from linebacker position. He's huge at 6'7. The Pack extended Dean Lowry. He's a tremendous competitor and can play inside or out. Joe Ostman and Mike Love keep making plays on the second team IRL, and cannot be counted out. The Pats have not done much with Chase Winovich yet in camp.

(UPDATE: Ostman to IR. Winovich to LB, which I think is a good place for him.)

DT - Javon Hargrave, Andrew Billings, and DJ Jones are fine, and can all play nose when I want to use 3-4 packages. Timmy Jernigan is 100% back and playing very well. On runs, you can't get much better than Billings and Jones. On obvious pass plays, its Hargrave and Jernigan, with Lowry rotating in.

LB - My linebackers are better than I made them out to be. Fred Warner was all that as a rookie, and wore the green dot with relative ease. Danny Trevathan is the heart of the Bears linebacking corps, despite all the cooing over IRL Roquan Smith. Jamie Collins has great range and can play the Pats system. Kamu Grugier-Hill is not that bad when he returns from injury and is plus on special teams.

Jordan Evans is on track to lose his starting job. Shaquem Griffin is on the roster bubble. Shilique Calhoun is actually playing some ball and may make the Pats. Emeke Egbule is quiet in camp, which is not good for a rookie. He's bouncing between LB and DL. I don't expect James Cowser to survive. Even if the Steelers keep JT Jones, I don't think I will.

S - Jamal Adams will not move to corner for the Kamis, but we will utilize his role flexibility. The expectation is Pro-Bowl-level performance. He should pair well with Tashaun Gipson. Kentrell Brice is hobbling around a bit. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (CGJ) has a shot at the slot position.

I think Deionte Thompson and Jalen Thompson are fighting over one roster slot. Brandon Wilson, Brandon Bryant, and Joshua Kalu are on the bubble.

CB - Daryl Worley is a starter. Rock Ya-Sin is killing it in camp. Quick learner. Drapes receivers. Tough. Love him. Greedy Williams is actually tackling, which was the biggest question mark for some. My biggest is he is not precise, and great corners all seem to be extremely precise. We'll see. Brownies like him. Jalen Mills still has a bad foot, and no one is counting on him, which is a real shame. Josh Jackson is just now returning from injury.

For slot corner, Mackensie Alexander has grown up, and is now a reliable corner. Jimmy Moreland has a runaway hype train going down the tracks in Washington, and can play outside, too. Still doesn't make him any bigger.

I don't see how Ken Crawley could make the team.

ST - The kicker will be Eddy Piniero or Elliot Fry or someone else. Matt Haack is the punter. There is a tight competition between DePaola and Sieg for long snapper.

Edited by Techbert

• 2 weeks later...

53-Man Roster Publication:

QB Garoppolo Stidham
RB Mixon Howard Anderson Hill (Sus Hunt)
WR Miller Westbrook Foster (Sus Callaway) (IR Meredith)
TE Kittle Braunecker Thomas (IR Butt)
OL Penn Massie Cannon Nelson Whitehair Kush Kalil Daniels

DE Garrett Bosa Lowry Robertson-Harris
DT Hargrave Billings Jernigan DJ Jones
LB Warner Trevathan Collins Grugier-Hill Evans Winovich Calhoun Griffin Egbule
S Adams Gipson CGJ JThompson DThompson Wilson Kalu
CB Worley Ya-Sin Williams Jackson Alexander Moreland (IR Mills)

ST Piniero Haack Sieg

Your comments are welcome.

Edited by Techbert

• 3 weeks later...

Cut-Day Commentary

I obviously need wide receivers, and will get some (back) in the next coupla days. Smith was a Texan for a few seconds before a trade finalized, so he'll be back. I'd like to bring Doctson back for less money. Looking at Ray-Ray McCloud and a few others.

I'll probably shed a linebacker or two in the next few days. Callaway's return at the latest.

No real shocks.

I had more of my 90-man roster make teams than the people I could keep, so the following are gone forever (or gone until released by someone else):
Conor McDermott ot
Ken Crawley cb

Edited by Techbert