2019 Pick Tracker

Tetsujin

I love the Wilkins pick.  I love the Rosen trade.  I like the Dieter pick (preferred McGovern but at least it was another OL).  Don't know anything about Van Ginkel, so that one's undecided.  Like the Prince pick as a developmental OT.  Meh on the Cox pick.  I like that we are bringing in a fullback, but I'm sure a few were available as UDFA.  Also meh on the Gaskin pick.  It's only a 7th rounder, but he's not very explosive.  Reminds me of Damien Williams.  Nothing special at all.

We signed UDFA Preston Williams, who was a 5-star recruit. If he can get his head on right,  he could be a really good player:

Williams (6’4/211) went to Tennessee as a five-star recruit only to last two seasons for failed drug tests, transfer, fail more drug tests at CSU, and get disinvited from the Combine for a 2017 domestic violence arrest. Williams dominated in 2018 – his lone full college season – for a 96/1,345/14 (14.0 YPR) receiving line, finishing No. 5 in the nation in yards gained on throws traveling 20-plus yards downfield (605). Williams’ work ethic came into question when he bombed his Pro Day with a 4.60 forty, 9-foot-8 broad jump, and 31 ½-inch vertical. Ultimately, Williams is a boom-bust prospect likelier to bottom out than boom based on his turbulent track record.

14 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I love the Wilkins pick.  I love the Rosen trade.  I like the Dieter pick (preferred McGovern but at least it was another OL).  Don't know anything about Van Ginkel, so that one's undecided.  Like the Prince pick as a developmental OT.  Meh on the Cox pick.  I like that we are bringing in a fullback, but I'm sure a few were available as UDFA.  Also meh on the Gaskin pick.  It's only a 7th rounder, but he's not very explosive.  Reminds me of Damien Williams.  Nothing special at all.

I was meh on the Cox pick as well... until I saw some highlight!  Wow.  This guy is going to be fun to watch.  GREAT blocker.  Can catch out of the backfield and run really hard if you need a 4th and 1 or 2.  Probably going to be a good special teamer as well.  

5 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

I was meh on the Cox pick as well... until I saw some highlight!  Wow.  This guy is going to be fun to watch.  GREAT blocker.  Can catch out of the backfield and run really hard if you need a 4th and 1 or 2.  Probably going to be a good special teamer as well.  

Makes sense a former Patriots coach would like having a FB from Auburn on the roster. Oh hay Heath Evans, you were a dang good player in NE. 

Here is a cliff notes version of who we drafted. Christian Wilkins, DT. 6-3 315 lbs. A fast Dlineman that excels at lateral movement, has a non-stop motor, gives 100% on every play. Great at reading the play and getting in the right place. Needs to add strength to fight though blocks. Can get blasted out of his gap on run plays. Michael Deiter, OG. 6-5 309 lbs. Extremely strong man blocker. Hard worker. Great awareness, rarely caught off guard by stunts and blitzes. Doesn't move well, has heavy feet when asked to pull. Gives up too soon when facing a strong opponent, his initial set up is good, but then he allows himself to get pushed aside. Not athletic enough for zone blocking. Andrew Van Ginkel, OLB. 6-3 241 lbs. He ran a 4.5 at his pro day, so he has the speed to play at the NFL level. He simply needs to add strength. He was an effort player, using his non-stop motor and determination to make plays. He is good a play recognition, but can't get off blocks. He would miss tackles against strong RB's by not being able to bring them down. A good developmental player with everything right up stairs, he just needs physical development. Isaiah Prince, OT. 6-6 305lbs. Massive OT with good strength. Has lots of technique problems that he never managed to correct, such as wasted movement. Lunges at speed instead of getting his body in position. Head butts too much, doesn't always use leverage. Has all of the physical tools you want at RT, just needs to put it all together. Chandler Cox, FB. 6-1, 236 lbs. He has been boom or bust during his career. Makes a great play is pass protection, gets beat on the next play. Lays a punishing block to open a hole, misses an assignment next time. Hard working player who is fearless in his role, has good hands and can run routes. Needs to add strength. Myles Gaskin, RB. 5-9 205 lbs. I think MG is going to be converted to slot. He was a workhorse in college, but he doesn't have any elite skill set. I like the Damian Williams comparison. Great hands, good vision, he is just small and doesn't have elite speed. This draft to me spelled out where we are going as a team. We are going to have a hybrid, active, attacking defense. We are going to use a man blocking power run scheme, with multiple TE's and RB's. This was a good draft, and we set our selves up nicely for next year.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

For sure.  I was just using the following chart at overthecap.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Stupid Pats are projected to get two 3rds.

Pats have a crazy system... but it works.

They rarely pay their own young talent.  They coach them up and let another team over pay, in turn getting the Pats more picks.  More picks means more young talent.  Coach em up for 4-5 years, let them walk and re load.  They wait until the Comp Pick FA window closes and then go out and fill holes with vets that just want to win and make less money.

I do think Miami will handle certain guys differently.  I think they pay Tunsil and X but let Drake walk.  Drake will probably fetch decent money on the open market which will in turn get a comp 4 or 5.  Don't expect Miami with all that cap space to go crazy at FA 2020.  Paying Tunsil and X doesnt go against your Comp calculator.