2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

Sllim Pickens

If the reporters don’t press the Quinn and Patricia on these pick after the draft and during the season when they suck they are cowards. Seriously we need some reporters with balls to call out this piece of sh#$ organization.  I’m sorry.  They don’t know more than the fans and when they get all smug and act like they do it’s a total “score board” moment.  They suck at recognizing talent.  We’ve been a SH@# franchise that picks SH$% players.  We deserve better than this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get trying to be positive.  But I’ve done that before.  I used to post here so much because I was so intrigued with the draft and how this team would developed and it’s the same crappy garbage every year.  I hope Quinn gets fired and he can take his second rate coach with him.  This looks like the draft of a guy who wants to be fired.  Glad our first round C from last year was one of the worst rated guards on the season.  Glad the LB we took in the first two years ago still can’t cover anything.  Glad the LT we drafted in the first three years ago is likely not going to get an extension because he is trash.  Please Martha, sell the team to someone who cares. 

I’m ok if you’re tired of being positive but at least be honest on the grades. Davis isn’t an all star but he has shown playmaking ability and IMO came on much stronger towards the end of the year when they switched up his responsibilities. Does it make it a great pick? No, but I don’t think davis is garbage. 

How is Decker trash exactly? He’s had issues with health but his play has been above average. 

Ragnow had some good and bad from last year but he wasn’t one of the worst rated OGs. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they were necessarily even good picks. I just don’t think they’re as bad of players as you make it seem. 

Ragnow was actually one of the worst guards last season. I can sort of give him a pass though since he was a rookie and the line was riddled with injuries.

Decker and Davis were fine. Of course, you'd like you first round picks to be better than fine. From last year's picks Hand was fantastic and Johnson looked like he could be a good one. Jury still out imo for Walker and Crosby but I do like what I have seen thus far. So, I don't think BQ has done a terrible job overall (though this draft is looking rough) but he does come across as thinking he is smarter than everyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I’m ok if you’re tired of being positive but at least be honest on the grades. Davis isn’t an all star but he has shown playmaking ability and IMO came on much stronger towards the end of the year when they switched up his responsibilities. Does it make it a great pick? No, but I don’t think davis is garbage. 

How is Decker trash exactly? He’s had issues with health but his play has been above average. 

Ragnow had some good and bad from last year but he wasn’t one of the worst rated OGs. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they were necessarily even good picks. I just don’t think they’re as bad of players as you make it seem. 

The point is Quinn passes on talent to select these guys and shocker they suck.  I like Davis.  But he’s already getting pushed to a sub role.  Decker has only been ok.  Ragnow is only Ok.  You’re right they aren’t “bad” they just aren’t good.  And when you spend top resources on below average talent you suck as a GM.  Plain and simple.  THis is how you end up with a losing record.  And the worst part is when Quinn and other jackass GMs act like they are the smartest guys in the room when they are clearly dumbasses is infuriating.  I’m just sick of it but i’m too dumb to pick a different team.  So stick up for the this crappy talent if you want to, I’m over it.

18 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

The point is Quinn passes on talent to select these guys and shocker they suck.  I like Davis.  But he’s already getting pushed to a sub role.  Decker has only been ok.  Ragnow is only Ok.  You’re right they aren’t “bad” they just aren’t good.  And when you spend top resources on below average talent you suck as a GM.  Plain and simple.  THis is how you end up with a losing record.  And the worst part is when Quinn and other jackass GMs act like they are the smartest guys in the room when they are clearly dumbasses is infuriating.  I’m just sick of it but i’m too dumb to pick a different team.  So stick up for the this crappy talent if you want to, I’m over it.

Then further complicate the issue by taking another first round TE.

• Like 1

On the plus side, the highlights of him show a guy with some upside but that’s all I’ve seen so far. 

He at least appears to have good closing speed. Decent hitting power and ball skills. 

Without actually watching film on him I can’t say for sure how I feel but it at least looks like there’s good upside there. 

I’m not in love with the LB in the 2nd round but again I’ve only see highlights. 

I do love the upside of Hockenson. Like others it just feels like that Awful feeling considering value as well. He does bring upside though. 

19 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

On the plus side, the highlights of him show a guy with some upside but that’s all I’ve seen so far. 

He at least appears to have good closing speed. Decent hitting power and ball skills. 

Without actually watching film on him I can’t say for sure how I feel but it at least looks like there’s good upside there. 

I’m not in love with the LB in the 2nd round but again I’ve only see highlights. 

I do love the upside of Hockenson. Like others it just feels like that Awful feeling considering value as well. He does bring upside though. 

Hey bud,

Good to see you around these parts.

Hockenson has the upside to be a great TE. He’s a ferocious blocker and perhaps he will give Stafford more confidence over the middle. 

High quality player. He just doesn’t fit with my thoughts on how you build a football team. It seems when the Lions go tight end early it throws the draft off and they end up reaching.

The Hawaii LB, from what I can gather is a thumper. Why? The commentators looked like they had nothing on this guy. 

Again, philosophically I just don’t get it. Now, if the offence trots out and this young man gains 700 plus yards and 7 or more touchdowns without impacting the other receivers stats and KJ has a big year, I will understand the pick. Even then I think they could’ve taken players that would provide a bigger impact.

Im hoping it’s just a case of confusion on my part but I’m old and cynical.🤠 I do know that this draft has made me decide not to get season tickets. It’s just to far to drive for what I fear will be a 6-8 win team. 

While rambling 😆😆😆 I think everyone knows I believe in building inside outside front to back. Every year, I think, this is the year the Lions actually complete a unit of the team. Perhaps the dline is complete because they figure Hand and other young guys will improve. The oline remains incomplete, the secondary, LB group as well. 

So, while I hope I’m wrong, experience and cynicism are telling me this is a less than ideal draft.

Hopefully idog drops by and can provide an upbeat assessment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

Davis was one of the worst rated starting LBs against the pass.  Sure he has some pass rush ability but he isn’t a good LB.  he improved and I hope he keeps improving. 

Decker graded out as a 70.3 last year, which is .3 above average.  So yes he has been above average for all tackles left and right but barely.  

Ragnow gave up the 10th most pressures from the guard.spot last year.  He may have helped the run game some but it wasn’t consistent.  

They are fair evaluations.  Overall, they are trash first round picks. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Davis was one of the worst rated starting LBs against the pass.  Sure he has some pass rush ability but he isn’t a good LB.  he improved and I hope he keeps improving. 

Decker graded out as a 70.3 last year, which is .3 above average.  So yes he has been above average for all tackles left and right but barely.  

Ragnow gave up the 10th most pressures from the guard.spot last year.  He may have helped the run game some but it wasn’t consistent.  

They are fair evaluations.  Overall, they are trash first round picks. 

The Rams have rebuilt in a couple of years. Meanwhile, back in Detroit................

TE Hockenson——> DT Oliver or LB Bush

LB Tavai———> CB Williams

S Harris———> EDGE Ferguson

This TE is not Gronk. The LB has had multiple shoulder surgeries in college. The S is okay but overall this draft has been extremely disappointing. Missing on easy picks to fill holes and go BPA. We are trying too hard to be the Patriots.

Extremely frustrating as a fan and I don’t like the argument “wait and see”. Quinn’s drafts have been underwhelming and this just appears to be another one of over thinking.

No way Day 3 could make up for the first 3 picks

9 hours ago, Millenhater said:

If the reporters don’t press the Quinn and Patricia on these pick after the draft and during the season when they suck they are cowards. Seriously we need some reporters with balls to call out this piece of sh#$ organization.  I’m sorry.  They don’t know more than the fans and when they get all smug and act like they do it’s a total “score board” moment.  They suck at recognizing talent.  We’ve been a SH@# franchise that picks SH$% players.  We deserve better than this.

oh please