2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

Sllim Pickens

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Davis was one of the worst rated starting LBs against the pass.  Sure he has some pass rush ability but he isn’t a good LB.  he improved and I hope he keeps improving. 

Decker graded out as a 70.3 last year, which is .3 above average.  So yes he has been above average for all tackles left and right but barely.  

Ragnow gave up the 10th most pressures from the guard.spot last year.  He may have helped the run game some but it wasn’t consistent.  

They are fair evaluations.  Overall, they are trash first round picks. 

But they’ve shown that they have potential and Decker has been a solid starter since he came in. There’s 32 1st round draft picks every year and a large majority of those do absolutely nothing. They have already surpassed absolutely nothing. 

Again, I’m not arguing that they’re good picks (though I will fight you on the Decker pick. I do think that was a good one). 

Ragnow was a rookie playing a different spot than what he’s used to. The upside is that most of those pressures came from a few games, he did have a number of games that were graded very well. The downside is that those games that he didn’t do so hot were awful. He at least showed good upside. 

1 hour ago, theuntouchable said:

But they’ve shown that they have potential and Decker has been a solid starter since he came in. There’s 32 1st round draft picks every year and a large majority of those do absolutely nothing. They have already surpassed absolutely nothing. 

Again, I’m not arguing that they’re good picks (though I will fight you on the Decker pick. I do think that was a good one). 

Ragnow was a rookie playing a different spot than what he’s used to. The upside is that most of those pressures came from a few games, he did have a number of games that were graded very well. The downside is that those games that he didn’t do so hot were awful. He at least showed good upside. 

I guess we have different expectations.  I’m not grading Quinn and our picks by being glad they belong in the league.  First round picks should be starters day one and be good players.  They are all starters on our team, not sure they all would be elsewhere.  I get why he made the picks but again, his picks are leading us to more top 10 picks.  They are the best we have but they are not changing the results.  2 first round picks on OL and 2 top free agents and we still have the highest rate of QB hits/pressures/sacks against.  Given that, I don’t find the picks to be successful.  

We as Lions fans, including myself, make too many excuses and bank on “next year” and whatever else for this team and what our expectations are.

This has been going on years and years and years through many different regimes.

The organization has a fundamental flaw somewhere because at the very best we have been a mediocre team/fringe playoff team. 

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I guess we have different expectations.  I’m not grading Quinn and our picks by being glad they belong in the league.  First round picks should be starters day one and be good players.  They are all starters on our team, not sure they all would be elsewhere.  I get why he made the picks but again, his picks are leading us to more top 10 picks.  They are the best we have but they are not changing the results.  2 first round picks on OL and 2 top free agents and we still have the highest rate of QB hits/pressures/sacks against.  Given that, I don’t find the picks to be successful.  

I get where you’re coming from, all I’m saying is that I’m the eyes of where most first round picks land; Quinn has done a damn good job. Most first round picks (well, most picks in general) are absolute busts. Quinn has done a nice job of getting talented players.

29 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If were picking top 10 again next year, I think all of your points are valid. 

This team did show promise last year. 

Quinn has drafted extremely well in rounds 2-4. 

Just now, theuntouchable said:

I get where you’re coming from, all I’m saying is that I’m the eyes of where most first round picks land; Quinn has done a damn good job. Most first round picks (well, most picks in general) are absolute busts. Quinn has done a nice job of getting talented players.

i disagree

22 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

i disagree

50% of first round picks are busts (comparatively speaking and of varying degrees) and the average NFL career is 3 years. So that means there are a lot of guys who aren't sticking around for too long and have to be replaced by somebody new. No one is kicking out a good player/pick by year 3 just because it's time to go.