Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread

DowNY

It's weird. It seems like Macc brought in his guys in the scouting department and doesn't listen to them. For example, pounding the table for kamara and Macc not trading up to get him. 

I would need okay if Macc was fired and he promoted form within. I like Heimerdinger. He'd likely keep most of the scouting department together and there would be some continuity. 

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Per Pauline, Mac and Gase disagreed on FA's.  What a hot mess.  So you hire a coach and the first chance you get to work together, you aren't on the same page

I have zero confidence that all three of Mac, Gase, and Williams will be here next season 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Fair enough. But does this mean that the coaching disagreed with the pick?

Guess we’ll find out. I hate to say it but coaches have to stay in their lane. Mac is paid to evaluate talent and if he didn’t think the deals to trade back were enough to not take Q while also believing Q was just better than Oliver despite what the coaches wanted, that’s too **** bad. Reports on Oliver is he has his “me first” type issues and Williams seems more like a “I just love football and cornbread” type guy. 

Hey I wanted an edge too, but when Bosa went first I knew we were taking Q. Let’s see how this works out. At the end of the day we got a blue chip IDL and games are won at the point of attack. Stay positive boys. I understand the history. Williams and Q could be much better than last time we did this. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

For whatever it's worth Manish is disputing this rift hard. And do you all really trust Pauline?

I’ve always had the feeling that Macc is Manish’s inside source. He seems to always shine a positive light on most of what Macc does. 

We’ll find out soon enough. Would be unfortunate if we let go of the guy who just dished out tons of money and made the 3rd pick overall.

If he gets canned, they should have done it back in January 

Edited by SDotNova

I think the rift is being overblown, but I'm sure it exists. 

Adam Gase is an Alpha. This organization needed an Alpha. It's no secret that Maccagnan is more of a Beta, as was Bowles and his staff. They worked well together, but both of them were passive and it did feel like they were trigger shy. I think it's natural that there is some growing pains going on as Maccagnan has been used to one way for 4 years and Gase/Gregg Williams are a totally different, intense presence. I do expect changes to the scouting staff (always happens), but I'd be shocked if Maccagnan is canned before the season.

My hunch? Whether or not Maccagnan stays or goes, Adam Gase will get a promotion next year. Tannenbaum compared Gase to Rex Ryan, and we know the Johnson's love that style of persona; they love a coach or an executive that is authoritative and confident. When it's all said and done, I think they will give him more decision-making power and may even give him control of the 53-man roster - despite his claim that he doesn't care for that power. I think the Johnson's will grow to immensely respect Gase and his conciseness, and will award him that power (for better or for worse). 

It won't happen but if I were running the show, all of our remaining picks would be on the best offensive lineman or best pass rusher available, unless a player is available with a significantly higher grade (i.e., an AJ Brown or a Rock Ya-Sin falling to round 3). Otherwise, I'm waiting to address CB and WR next year. 

I'd be a sucker for AJ Brown or Hakeem Butler if they fell.

There's still a few quality offensive linemen left and I'm a bug fan of Jachai Polite. Those would be my targets. Some of the CBs that fell out of the first as well. 

I hear there's depth at the TE position for later rounds as well. Wouldn't mind that.