Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread

DowNY

20 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I am sorry bro but not seeing any of the players we just drafted play in NYJ uniform and saying they are bad picks IS being a pessimist.  If you bashed the picks after the season because of their performance or lack of performance on the field then you are being a realist.  Basing a day after the draft is being a glass half empty guy.

It’s me basing it off our GMs draft history and there’s been big enough of a sample size to throw judgement out on his drafting ability. It’s very optimistic to think he all of sudden will start hitting on guys after around 1.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s me basing it off our GMs draft history and there’s been big enough of a sample size to throw judgement out on his drafting ability. It’s very optimistic to think he all of sudden will start hitting on guys after around 1.

Well that is not wise (evaluating this draft by past drafts by Macc instead of on the field performance).  Drafting is not an exact science.  There are more misses than hits - that is a fact.  But  you have to keep swinging.  The best GMs don't hit 1st rounders every year.  They don't uncover late round gems every year.  Their drafts are not perfect.  The idea is to have a philosophy, stick to it and let percentages take over.  Not every player drafted is going to be a superstar and you need to have role players, special team players and solid starters along with studs or dawgs like Adams says.

Personally, I lay more blame at the feet of a bad coaching staff then at Macc's for some of the failed picks. Young players need discipline and leadership.   Two of the weakest traits of Bowles and his staff.  Not saying that all the picks were great, because they were not as with every GM.  But I also don't expect each pick to be a hit as that is not how this works. 

Edited by JetsFan15

2 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Well that is not wise (evaluating this draft by past drafts by Macc instead of on the field performance).  Drafting is not an exact science.  There are more misses than hits - that is a fact.  But  you have to keep swinging.  The best GMs don't hit 1st rounders every year.  They don't uncover late round gems every year.  Their drafts are not perfect.  The idea is to have a philosophy, stick to it and let percentages take over.  Not every player drafted is going to be a superstar and you need to have role players, special team players and solid starters along with studs or dawgs like Adams says.

Personally, I lay more blame at the feet of a bad coaching staff then at Macc's for some of the failed picks. Young players need discipline and leadership.   Two of the weakest traits of Bowles and his staff.  Not saying that all the picks were great, because they were not as with every GM.  But I also don't expect each pick to be a hit as that is not how this works. 

Coaching is definitely one of top reasons why Jets' drafts have been bad but it is Maccagnan's job to find players that can play well in that system.   Chris Herndon's promising start does not erase the doubt of Maccagnan's ability to identify prospects.   BPA? my foot.

Speaking of GM being ability to draft, what do you think of Mike Mayock's first debut.

• Round 1, Pick No. 4: Clelin Ferrell, Edge, Clemson
  • Round 1, Pick No. 24: Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
  • Round 1, Pick No. 27: Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
  • Round 2, Pick No. 40: Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson
  • Round 4, Pick No. 106: Maxx Crosby, Edge, Eastern Michigan
  • Round 4, Pick No. 129: Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston
  • Round 4, Pick No. 137: Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
  • Round 5, Pick No. 149: Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
  • Round 7, Pick No. 230: Quinton Bell, DE, Prairie View

I like it.  A very few things to be refined to be a pro ready.  Crosby and Johnson may need more time to develop but not 3 years to be groomed.

24 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

In theory you are right. But Macc has been awful even grading in what you are. He literally has drafts where only 1 guy is on the team from his 1st draft. Which wasn’t long ago.

So going into the draft we addressed some areas of need already through FA.  Culture changing player in Mosley, Bell and Crowder as upgrade to weapons on offense, Osemele is a major upgrade on the OL and a solid flexible CB in Poole.  With that said we still had areas of need going into the draft – after all we were 4-12.  We only had 1 pick in the first 67 picks.  Not ideal when you’re coming off a 4 win season BUT you live with it because of the Darnold trade.

Macc tries to trade down.  Rumors are we discuss move a down with the Raiders and Bills.  Raiders most likely targeting Q Williams who we have rated (projecting Murray and Bosa being off the board) as the top player available at 3.  Bills are in our division and most likely targeting Q Williams as well.  Given these assumptions, we are looking for a haul.   I believe that we have Williams rated so much ahead of any other prospect in this draft that we can’t justify a trade even getting an extra pick or too (also think we can’t live will seeing Williams play and dominate for the Bills).   So while we have a strong desire to pick up extra picks, we just don’t get an offer that justifies not selecting a prospect like Q.

My take on the picks:

1.       Q. Williams – I have been a fan and proponent of Allen since the offseason started.  But I can’t bash or not feel good about this pick.  By all accounts he has the highest ceiling of any non QB prospect in the draft.  Can legitimately be a perennial All-Pro.  Has just really scratched the surface of his ability.  Has ZERO off field concerns.  High motor. Desire to be great. Played in the best conference in college football and dominated.  Is only 21. Consensus BPA.  Only thing to knock is this is not a position of need.  But does that really matter?  Not if you believe you are drafting a guy who can be elite.  On a team that had 4 wins, needs to upgrade talent anywhere and everywhere every position is a position of need.  This is a great pick and one coupled with the acquisition of Mosley to add with Adams sets us up to have a dominate D.

2.       Polite – to me this makes or breaks this draft class for us.  Goes without saying we need someone off the edge.  Even with the pressure we anticipate up the middle (which can’t be overstated) we can really put the clamps on the passing game with an Edge guy.  Polite had a horrible pre-draft process.  Looks like he tried to add weight since that was knock on him but it seemed to affect his speed with poor 40 time at the combine then his pro day was a worse time.  Did not handle criticisms of his game good in an interview with GB.  But his game tape is great.  Has a very high motor and does not take plays off.  If not for the pre-draft mess he would have been a 1st rounder.  My only wonder – would he have been there with our second 3rd rounder? But again, reports are that we had him rated as the 2nd best Edge in this draft.  So if you can get that value at pick number 68 / 3rd round you don’t get cute.  IF this pick hits we may be talking about this draft changing the direction of our team and making our D top 5 in the league.

3.       Edoga – could be a future LT.  Needs to be coached up a bit but this is another high upside pick

4.       Wesco – all the pundits love this pick.  He can be a very big addition to the run game and I think he has upside in the pass game.  Nice complement to Herndon as an inline player.  TE has become a match up nightmare in this league.  Having Herndon and Wesco on the field at the same time will give us a lot of different looks and reduce predictability.  I think those who bashed this pick will have to eat their words at the end of the year.

5.       Cashman – high character guy. We lost some good ST players and he will slide right in. You have to like getting a guy who walked on in college to become a team leader in his Sr year.  Nice role player and ST contributor.

6.       Asutin – developmental player with nice size on the outside CB position.  If he can bounce back from injuries and get coached upped perhaps can be not only ST contributor but add depth to CB position – position of need.

Overall I think this was a solid draft.  With our two 3rd rounders went after positions of need with high upside players. Wesco can be a nice 2nd TE without being a zero in the passing game like Tomlinson is. Cashman brings character. Q can be dominate.  Now let’s hope they perform. 

Edited by JetsFan15

To be honest I’m all for going BPA for the whole draft as in the long run it’s certainly the best approach. 

The Blake Cashman pick is a true indicator of that. On the surface you think “what the hell” but within a year we could move on from Avery and Lee and he’s a cheap young stater next to CJ. 

What a don’t like though I using high round picks on positions which don’t give you that shot of finding a diamond in the rough. No offence to Wesco (and Iv not seen anything of him so can’t pretend I know his game inside and out) but the scouting reports are that he’s a very good blocking tight end. Even if he pans out and becomes our starting blocking tight end; Is that really the best we could do with that pick?! I’m not sure!?!

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

In theory you are right. But Macc has been awful even grading in what you are. He literally has drafts where only 1 guy is on the team from his 1st draft. Which wasn’t long ago.

LMAO  - you crack me up buddy.  Acknowledge we can't judge on past drafts and that hit rate is not high and then go back to his prior draft.

Remember his first draft he was not working with his scouts.  He cleaned house after the draft.  So while it was his draft, let's keep that in mind too.  For sure there are a couple of picks Macc made that I would not have nor I liked.  But I really like his recent track record with Adams, Maye, Darnold trade, Herndon, this FA period and this draft.  Let's see what happens.

Edited by JetsFan15

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

To be honest I’m all for going BPA for the whole draft as in the long run it’s certainly the best approach. 

The Blake Cashman pick is a true indicator of that. On the surface you think “what the hell” but within a year we could move on from Avery and Lee and he’s a cheap young stater next to CJ. 

What a don’t like though I using high round picks on positions which don’t give you that shot of finding a diamond in the rough. No offence to Wesco (and Iv not seen anything of him so can’t pretend I know his game inside and out) but the scouting reports are that he’s a very good blocking tight end. Even if he pans out and becomes our starting blocking tight end; Is that really the best we could do with that pick?! I’m not sure!?!

So I was miffed initially with Wesco too.  Consider this though.  Think he caught like 87% of the passes he was targeting on his Sr year which was really the only year he was used much in the passing game.  Adds a blocking TE with upside in the receiving game next to Herndon.  And can play TE, FB or HB.  Scouts love him reportedly. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

All can crack in or not.   Without any injuries to factor in, I don't think either will make it on 53 squad.

Dortch will make it, almost guaranteed. He’s more dynamic than Burnett and is a great return man. Jones can play tackle or guard. He has a good shot because of his versatility.