Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread

DowNY

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I'm confused on why we're arguing Leo vs. RB here.  

I told Bobby looking back there was no other player drafted after Leo in 2015 I would have taken at 6 in his place.  Bobby said Gurley and Gordon were worthy.  I disagreed as I don't think a RB is worth a number 6 overall pick.  Especially one with a serious knee issue that was known in 2015 and one that is also injury prone.

Edited by JetsFan15

9 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I told Bobby looking back there was no other player drafted after Leo in 2015 I would have taken at 6 in his place.  Bobby said Gurley and Gordon were worthy.  I disagreed as I don't think a RB is worth a number 6 overall pick.  Especially one with a serious knee issue that was known in 2015 and one that is also injury prone.

After Cooper was gone, Bobby wanted White at 6 anyway.  Either way, it's all a hindsight game.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I have my issues with Macc, but y’all have to stop with the hold gifting thing. Over half this board would have been out of a GM job after selecting Josh Rosen last year. Darnold was not a gift. He rightly chose Darnold over Rosen and Allen. Adams is questionable as well. We are knocking Macc for not selecting premium positions which SS is not. Then we are saying Adams was a good pick. Ditto with Leo. 

If the Giants draft Darnold like they should have then what? 

The Jets even told Adams they didn’t think he’d be there, Leo as well. 

So how do you credit someone for making the clear obvious choices? 

Whenever Macc has had to think for himself he’s failed. Lee over Jones, Jack and Smith are prime examples. 

Congrats, your GM knows how to take BPA in the top 6.

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

After Cooper was gone, Bobby wanted White at 6 anyway.  Either way, it's all a hindsight game.  

Exactly it his hindsight. Bc White was 100% worthy of 6. Hence why he was drafted at 7. I also was among several that wanted White in here, so it wasn’t like I was solo wanting him. Not going defend White bc injuries took his career. But he certainly wouldn’t have been a bad pick for us or a reach at all.

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly it his hindsight. Bc White was 100% worthy of 6. Hence why he was drafted at 7. I also was among several that wanted White in here, so it wasn’t like I was solo wanting him. Not going defend White bc injuries took his career. But he certainly wouldn’t have been a bad pick for us or a reach at all.

But what are you arguing exactly?  Leo wasn't a reach or a bad pick.  Gurley would've been a slight reach and Gordon would've been a huge reach.  

13 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I have my issues with Macc, but y’all have to stop with the hold gifting thing. Over half this board would have been out of a GM job after selecting Josh Rosen last year. Darnold was not a gift. He rightly chose Darnold over Rosen and Allen. Adams is questionable as well. We are knocking Macc for not selecting premium positions which SS is not. Then we are saying Adams was a good pick. Ditto with Leo. 

Darnold was 100% a gift.  If Gettleman was remotely competent, Darnold is the pick.  Nobody is knocking Mac.  We're saying when he can't make the common sense pick, he struggles.  

12 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

I know what bobby point was, he felt Leo was not a player of need at the time when we drafted him and I ? the pick my self. Mel Kyper, and other draft experts has him rank as the best player in the draft. The problem is Leo never show he was the best player in the draft, he is ranked 53 out of all the defensive lineman in the NFL. Leo is not a defensive end, he has no pass rushing moves at all, I feel he would be a great interior lineman, but now we have Q.

47 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Darnold was 100% a gift.  If Gettleman was remotely competent, Darnold is the pick.  Nobody is knocking Mac.  We're saying when he can't make the common sense pick, he struggles.  

I guess i will just have to disagree. Darnold would have been a gift if there were no other players on the board that would have been in consideration. Macc picking Darnold over Rosen was a good decision. If Q becomes great and Allen doesn’t. Q is not a gift. Because there were enough people saying Allen should have been the choice. Again there were plenty of people on this Board who would have passed on Darnold for Rosen. It looks like a gift in hindsight. At the time Darnold at #3 was not a no brainer. 

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I guess i will just have to disagree. Darnold would have been a gift if there were no other players on the board that would have been in consideration. Macc picking Darnold over Rosen was a good decision. If Q becomes great and Allen doesn’t. Q is not a gift. Because there were enough people saying Allen should have been the choice. Again there were plenty of people on this Board who would have passed on Darnold for Rosen. It looks like a gift in hindsight. At the time Darnold at #3 was not a no brainer. 

Right, but it's a gift because Gettleman should've taken him.  Q isn't a gift IMO.  Either way, Mac struggles to make picks outside of the 1st.  We don't know what this draft will bring, but in his 24 picks outside of the 1st round, his 5 best players are Marcus Maye, Chris Herndon, Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, and Eli McGuire.  That's not good.  In tersm of this forum, I had Darnold over Rosen personally.  I had Rosen as my QB3. I know a lot were anti-Mayfield.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Right, but it's a gift because Gettleman should've taken him.  Q isn't a gift IMO.  Either way, Mac struggles to make picks outside of the 1st.  We don't know what this draft will bring, but in his 24 picks outside of the 1st round, his 5 best players are Marcus Maye, Chris Herndon, Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, and Eli McGuire.  That's not good.  In tersm of this forum, I had Darnold over Rosen personally.  I had Rosen as my QB3. I know a lot were anti-Mayfield.

So, I agree that Macc was giving the gift to be able to decide between Allen, Darnold and Rosen. He still ultimately had to make the decision though. There were no consensus rankings of those QBs. Kiper had Allen #1. PFF had Darnold slightly over Rosen and Allen as a late 1st early 2nd. And the debate between Rosen/Darnold/Baker was pretty contentious. I just don't think we can knock him for making good decisions in the 1st round.

Overall as a GM though, I agree that he is below average. My biggest issue is really allocation of premium resources. 

However, I wouldn't want him out as GM for the next hot shot GM. If we replace him, it needs to be a guy with a proven record. Or a promotion of Heimeirdinger if the organization feels he is the better long-term answer. 

20 hours ago, SDotNova said:

lol. It just shows how much all GMs miss. The key is to have a bunch of ok drafts and then have a couple of outliers. See Saints. They had a solid 2016 draft and an excellent draft in 2017. The next two drafts are like what the hell happened. Even go back to the Saints 2015 draft and it's like Peat is the best player they drafted and he is marginal at best. But the guys in 2016 and 2017 have them competing at a high level. We need one of those drafts like we had in 2006 and 2007. Those kind of drafts can set up a team for a decade.

Relative to the other teams, Macc has likely drafted average to below average. But he hasn't had one of those drafts that sets us up for a decade. We can hope the combo of Darnold/Herndon and Q/Polite becomes that. But I'm not sure. We need a home run draft at some point.

lol.. I am late boomer at FF.  I did not know that clicking on notification will bring me to a certain post.  Anyway.

If we used Saints as the model for Mike Maccagnan's handling Jets then he should be fired among with Todd Bowles.   Saints pulled for veteran helps no matter how. They kept changing players constantly until they got right veterans.  By the time, Saints' cap "prohibited" them from chasing "expensive" experienced players and focused on draft for help.  Every time Saints found hole they burned a lot of energy to fill that hole properly.  Seahawks, Patriots and Saints are kind of teams that don't sit back and wait for kids to bring raw talents to a game.  If you have it you play. If you don't have it, Bye.

For the comparison's sake, Mike Maccagnan did what?  A) Being selective at FA. B) Collecting a lot of raw draft prospects. C) Both at the same time.  He is in for 5th year as GM. After 4 years, he may be responsible for a quarterly solid of the Jets affair. Give or Take. Saints probably own up a bad 35-40% over 10 years.  I am sure we would be comfortable with Saints' head scratching moves than Jets' because of success ratio.

Last year and this year FA/drafts make Maccagnan sound like a competent GM on paper. Let's see how well will Adam Gase run the team. Otherwise Maccagnan's history will be impossible to ignore. Hence, bye-bye.

Interestingly, 2016 draft class, Darron Lee was selected at 20. Jets didn't pick his 5th year option. The rest of 1st round after the Lee selection suffered the same fate as Lee. Does Maccagnan get away with it?

36 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

So, I agree that Macc was giving the gift to be able to decide between Allen, Darnold and Rosen. He still ultimately had to make the decision though. There were no consensus rankings of those QBs. Kiper had Allen #1. PFF had Darnold slightly over Rosen and Allen as a late 1st early 2nd. And the debate between Rosen/Darnold/Baker was pretty contentious. I just don't think we can knock him for making good decisions in the 1st round.

Overall as a GM though, I agree that he is below average. My biggest issue is really allocation of premium resources. 

However, I wouldn't want him out as GM for the next hot shot GM. If we replace him, it needs to be a guy with a proven record. Or a promotion of Heimeirdinger if the organization feels he is the better long-term answer. 

That is exactly correct.  Same could be said about Leo and Adams picks.  Will see if the same can be said about Q in a year or two.  He still has to make the pick. 

Macc has been very good in the 1st round.  To me this is very important because we can not have a 1st round bust at this point.  Think back to Gholston, Robertson, Blair Thomas and many other 1st round busts we have drafted.  So while we all would like to see some later round picks succeed, he has not buried us with bad 1st round picks overall.

Hard for Mac to have first round busts when we are constantly drafting top 6th overall, 6th overall, 18th (which so far has been a bust) 3th (via trade) 3th again. 

Mac has been awful after the 1st round and has wasted the limited amount of picks we have every year. If we dont make the playoffs, which honestly is a long shot anyways, he should relieved of his position. 

28 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

That is exactly correct.  Same could be said about Leo and Adams picks.  Will see if the same can be said about Q in a year or two.  He still has to make the pick. 

Macc has been very good in the 1st round.  To me this is very important because we can not have a 1st round bust at this point.  Think back to Gholston, Robertson, Blair Thomas and many other 1st round busts we have drafted.  So while we all would like to see some later round picks succeed, he has not buried us with bad 1st round picks overall.

How could you not be good when one year you pick 6 overall & two years at # 3 overall, any moron could have made those picks.

8 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

How could you not be good when one year you pick 6 overall & two years at # 3 overall, any moron could have made those picks.

Your wrong in your premise that picking that high is easy to pick a good / great player.  Facts don't back up your moron statement:  Here is a list of recent #3 picks not including our past two:

Solomon Thomas, Joey Bosa, Donte Fowler, Blake  Bortles, Dion Jordan, Trent Richardson, Marcell Dareous, Gerald McCoy and Tyson Jackson.

Not exactly a list of All Pro or Pro Bowlers.