Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread

DowNY

6 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don’t think this is true. Kind of need snap count to really validate this, but your number 4 WR plays more than just when someone is hurt. The 4 WR set is one example. The other example is when one of your 3 WR has a big play. Typically, coaches pull that WR for a play or two so they can catch their breath. Matchups can play a role as well. Or where you are on the field (ie red zone). 

I don’t have snap count data so using the next best thing. If you look the Chargers who had 4 good WR and a QB who spreads the ball around, their number 4 WR Travis Benjamin was getting targets despite being behind 3 solid WR. Looking at the first 4 weeks of last season when they were all healthy, Benjamin had 8 targets. While that’s only 2 targets per game, he is likely the 3rd read and likely was on the field a lot more. He had half the targets Tyrell and Mike Williams had over that stretch.

Not all backup roles are created. Likely the guys that see the field most are rotating DLineman and Edge, WR# 4, swing tackle I jumbo sets and backup safety in big nickle sets. The rest of the guys are likely mostly ST guys.

I'm just saying having a guy like Burnett run a few routes a game going to make or break the offense?  Our 4th WR lets say Burnett would be going against most teams 4th CB then.  

I'd love to know some of the teams with 4 good WR's?    I mean you want to use LAC as an argument that's fine but Benjamin had 12 catches last year, 12.  Id' be ok with Burnett catching 12 passes this year on 24 targets which equals out to less then 2 per game.  Oh God how will Sam ever succeed!!!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm just saying having a guy like Burnett run a few routes a game going to make or break the offense?  Our 4th WR lets say Burnett would be going against most teams 4th CB then.  

I'd love to know some of the teams with 4 good WR's?    I mean you want to use LAC as an argument that's fine but Benjamin had 12 catches last year, 12.  Id' be ok with Burnett catching 12 passes this year on 24 targets which equals out to less then 2 per game.  Oh God how will Sam ever succeed!!!!!

There’s a big difference between Allen, Williams and Williams to that of Q, Anderson and Crowder though.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s a big difference between Allen, Williams and Williams to that of Q, Anderson and Crowder though.

Oh stop it no there is not.  Allen is clearly the best WR of that group but there is nothing the separates the rest of those guys.  Anderson is easily better than Tyrell Williams, it's not even close.  You could say LAC has better WR's because of Allen but again our group is plenty good enough.   Plus Tyrell is no longer with LA anymore and Benjamin is their #3 WR now. 

I'm sure they're all freaking out over there about their #4 WR.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Our top 3 WRs stats last year (Q, Robby, Crowder): 1,589yds and 9tds.

Chargers top 3 WR stats last year (Allen, Williams, Williams): 2,513yds and 21tds.

You're right it isn't close.

2 of ours were injurred last season.. crowder is a really good slot wr

Just now, NYJets4716 said:

2 of ours were injurred last season.. crowder is a really good slot wr

Even if you do their stats as if they played all 16 game, it's still no close though. Crowder I'm not worried about tbh. Hence why I was happy about getting him. Its relying on Q as a legit option when he's missed the amount of time he has over the last few seasons.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Our top 3 WRs stats last year (Q, Robby, Crowder): 1,589yds and 9tds.

Chargers top 3 WR stats last year (Allen, Williams, Williams): 2,513yds and 21tds.

You're right it isn't close.

Wow your arguments are getting worse, not better.  Not to mention one team with a HOF QB the other with a 21 year old rookie but your right let's look at 1 year of stats.  This like what a kid in grade school would argue.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Even if you do their stats as if they played all 16 game, it's still no close though. Crowder I'm not worried about tbh. Hence why I was happy about getting him. Its relying on Q as a legit option when he's missed the amount of time he has over the last few seasons.

You have to factor in the QB play. The chargers receivers are better, but I don’t think the disparity is significant personally. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Relax bro.  We have three quality starting WRs.  Burnett has a history with Sam and played like a good back up last year.  We picked up Dortch as  a UFA and perhaps Macc finds another Robby there (albeit different type of receiver).  We have Herndon and Sterling as a legit receiving threats from the TE position.  If scouts are correct Wesco may develop as a nice option there as well.  Major upgrade at RB receiving threats with Bell and Montgomery. 

So the sky is not fallen chicken little.  The cupboard is far from bare.  There are better receiving options for 2019 then we had for 2018.  I am not saying we have the greatest show on turf type of weapons but we are far from barren level. 

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

Relax bro.  We have three quality starting WRs.  Burnett has a history with Sam and played like a good back up last year.  We picked up Dortch as  a UFA and perhaps Macc finds another Robby there (albeit different type of receiver).  We have Herndon and Sterling as a legit receiving threats from the TE position.  If scouts are correct Wesco may develop as a nice option there as well.  Major upgrade at RB receiving threats with Bell and Montgomery. 

So the sky is not fallen chicken little.  The cupboard is far from bare.  There are better receiving options for 2019 then we had for 2018.  I am not saying we have the greatest show on turf type of weapons but we are far from barren level. 

I love Dortch.  Really rooting for him.  I think he could really do for us some of the things Gase had Albert Wilson do for us last year.  

15 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I love Dortch.  Really rooting for him.  I think he could really do for us some of the things Gase had Albert Wilson do for us last year.  

The kid from Turn on the Jets  who watches all the film basically said he wasnt impressed at all. Stated he looked like a guy who should have went undrafted. Sounds like another guy we are too high on and shouldnt get our hopes up for.

For the record he does very good analysis and knows his stuff.

39 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

The kid from Turn on the Jets  who watches all the film basically said he wasnt impressed at all. Stated he looked like a guy who should have went undrafted. Sounds like another guy we are too high on and shouldnt get our hopes up for.

Dortch’s biggest issues are his size and lack of catch radius as a result. If he’s 5’10 or taller, he’s likely an mid day 3 pick. 

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Dortch’s biggest issues are his size and lack of catch radius as a result. If he’s 5’10 or taller, he’s likely an mid day 3 pick. 

Hell... he weighs more than Hollywood Brown who went as the first WR off the board..... lets not pretend height is going to help Hollywood at all, he isn't gonna win many jump balls regardless.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Have you watched any of his tape?  I thought he was really impressive.  Kid is one of the more elusive guys i have see from this entire draft.  And it's not like he is slow either.  He ran a 4.49 shortly after a surgery, out of shape and with 0 preparation to run the 40.  I don't know who this person is so i can't judge him much... though if it is the same guy from the turn on the jets podcast i, i have listened to a few episodes and found him fairly unimpressive.  

I am aware this guy is an UDFA but he produced over a 1k season at wake forest with a collection of nobodies slinging him the ball.  At 5'7 173 he had almost double the yardage of the next receiver at wake.  He may not make it but watch his tape yourself, and lemme know if you come away unimpressed.  Also dude had a 4 TD game... the last 3 TD's were after he punctured his intestines on a crappy end zone pylon on the first TD.... he kept playing while rapidly declining and scored 3 more... then was rushed to the hospital..... i am not counting that dude out.  

@SDotNovaI checked Miami WR snap count (profootballreference.com)  for the last two years.  In both years they averaged 270% of total snaps. Assuming that they use 2 WR most of the time, they used 3 or 4 about 70%. Because of injuries last season , they did use a lot of WRs with 5 getting over 25% of their snaps. The year before their 4th and 5th WR received 12 and 13%. The Chargers last year used a lower percentage (255%) on WR but Benjamin, their 4th in playing time, did get 28%.

it looks like, after the top 3,  there will be between 25-30% of the snaps for the remaining WRs. I feel that having a solid 4th emerge to get most of those snaps, is better than having them split among 3 lower quality players. Maybe Burnett can be that guy but I sure wish we had some competition with a rookie who could  possibly become a future starter (eg Harmon Sills, Jennings).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Hell... he weighs more than Hollywood Brown who went as the first WR off the board..... lets not pretend height is going to help Hollywood at all, he isn't gonna win many jump balls regardless.

Have you watched any of his tape?  I thought he was really impressive.  Kid is one of the more elusive guys i have see from this entire draft.  And it's not like he is slow either.  He ran a 4.49 shortly after a surgery, out of shape and with 0 preparation to run the 40.  I don't know who this person is so i can't judge him much... though if it is the same guy from the turn on the jets podcast i, i have listened to a few episodes and found him fairly unimpressive.  

I am aware this guy is an UDFA but he produced over a 1k season at wake forest with a collection of nobodies slinging him the ball.  At 5'7 173 he had almost double the yardage of the next receiver at wake.  He may not make it but watch his tape yourself, and lemme know if you come away unimpressed.  Also dude had a 4 TD game... the last 3 TD's were after he punctured his intestines on a crappy end zone pylon on the first TD.... he kept playing while rapidly declining and scored 3 more... then was rushed to the hospital..... i am not counting that dude out.  

Hollywood is a lot more dynamic than Dortch is. Granted, again, I really like Dortch.