Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread

DowNY

5 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

But what are you arguing exactly?  Leo wasn't a reach or a bad pick.  Gurley would've been a slight reach and Gordon would've been a huge reach.  

That it was a failed pick IMO. I’ve stated this for years. To complete ignore need. And draft BPA then (we still had Snacks, Mo and Sheldon) also better be an all pro every year to draft him. And he’s not that. And in 4 seasons has been just good never entering into the conversation to great. My point is if you draft a player at a position you don’t need in Round 1 and even 2 for that matter. They better be great. Leo has fell short and that same pressure is on Q.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That it was a failed pick IMO. I’ve stated this for years. To complete ignore need. And draft BPA then (we still had Snacks, Mo and Sheldon) also better be an all pro every year to draft him. And he’s not that. And in 4 seasons has been just good never entering into the conversation to great. My point is if you draft a player at a position you don’t need in Round 1 and even 2 for that matter. They better be great. Leo has fell short and that same pressure is on Q.

So he should’ve reached on a running back after the year Ivory had the year before?  Ivory was a pro bowler in 2015, right after they drafted also btw. 

8 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

So he should’ve reached on a running back after the year Ivory had the year before?  Ivory was a pro bowler in 2015, right after they drafted also btw. 

You said I wanted White (which I did) but I did have Gurley and Beasley for us there. When we net defense I immediately said if we didn’t want a WR or RB than Beasley should’ve been the pick. And quite frankly the career path of Beasley in ATL can’t be compared to what it could have been here.

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You said I wanted White (which I did) but I did have Gurley and Beasley for us there. When we net defense I immediately said if we didn’t want a WR or RB than Beasley should’ve been the pick. And quite frankly the career path of Beasley in ATL can’t be compared to what it could have been here.

How so?  Beasley is a bust because he never developed pass rush moves. Highly doubt that would’ve been any different here. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

How so?  Beasley is a bust because he never developed pass rush moves. Highly doubt that would’ve been any different here. 

I disagree. Different coaching. Different surrounding players are all huge factors. It’s a what if game. So no point in going around in circles. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I disagree. Different coaching. Different surrounding players are all huge factors. It’s a what if game. So no point in going around in circles. 

Ya... because the Jets have really excelled at developing edge players.  I just think criticizing the Leo pick is a hard argument to make even knowing that he hasn't been playing at a superstar level so far.  The rest of that draft is just not great.  Even Gurley.... dude has had some success but only when in a complete powerhouse offense.  He is a good player but RB isn't worth an early 1st imo.  After that Beasly is just a flat out bad player.  If i am not mistaken he was the last rated Edge in the NFL last year.  Looking back at that draft there honestly isn't 1 player taken after Leo in the rest of the 1st that i would probably take over him... and i am not even a big Leo backer.  

• Like 1

With Hindsight I’d still take Leo there, is he the unstoppable disruptive force we thought he’d become? No, but is still a very good 5T. Gurley and Gordon may be the flashy pick ups but Gurley had the knee problems in college and now they’ve showed up in the NFL, and Gordon has been injured every year he’s been in the league, throw in the fact that RB has the shortest shelf life of all positions. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Letting Snacks go and resigning mo was the start of bad decisions. 

Snacks open3d up everyone,  he was a dominant nt, we needed to keep him. Plus he was a leader.

In retrospect we should have signed Snaks and let Mo walk ... but who knew.

5 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Ya... because the Jets have really excelled at developing edge players.  I just think criticizing the Leo pick is a hard argument to make even knowing that he hasn't been playing at a superstar level so far.  The rest of that draft is just not great.  Even Gurley.... dude has had some success but only when in a complete powerhouse offense.  He is a good player but RB isn't worth an early 1st imo.  After that Beasly is just a flat out bad player.  If i am not mistaken he was the last rated Edge in the NFL last year.  Looking back at that draft there honestly isn't 1 player taken after Leo in the rest of the 1st that i would probably take over him... and i am not even a big Leo backer.  

My argument is when you draft a player that high when you have good players already there... that guy better be INCREDIBLE!!! And Leo is not that. And we have in turn done that with Q. So if he isn’t INCREDIBLE!!! It’s a bad pick.

Keep Snacks and Sheldon, Trade Mo, Draft Beasley(who knows how he’d excel as a 3-4 OLB)- This is what I wanted at the time. 

At least here multiple holes are filled with talented guys and you can mix and match around them. 

We invested a lot of premium picks into a single position and in the end we’re a team with balance issues. 

I don’t have a problem with Leo, he was the obvious pick at the time and would probably still be the pick today. 

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My argument is when you draft a player that high when you have good players already there... that guy better be INCREDIBLE!!! And Leo is not that. And we have in turn done that with Q. So if he isn’t INCREDIBLE!!! It’s a bad pick.

Really makes zero sense and is foolish.  If you pick a player that has the best shot of success it is not a bad pick.  Additionally, NO GM picks a player in the top 10 with out thinking they will be high preforming and an impact player.  Just because they are not a superstar does not make him a bad pick.  Above average and Pro Bowl ;evl is very good.

So, you use hindsight to say that Leo is not a superstar - which you are correct he is not.   But you then double down and won't admit that no player drafted after him or the players you admit wanting (White, Beasley) are not better than Leo.

Leo is arguably the most consistent starter from pick 6 on from that draft.  He actually is arguably the best 1st round pick in 2015.  That is never a bad pick.  TO suggest he is a bad pick with 4 years benefit of hindsight really shoots your credibility bro ... sorry.

Edited by JetsFan15
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Both of which would've been horrible picks. Beasley's career path in ATL is a macro-cosm of who he is and always was as a player: a one-trick pony. 

Todd Gurley, albeit talented and one of my favorite RBs in the NFL, is already showing signs of decline due to wear and tear and a degenerative knee. 

Leo was the best pick the Jets could've made. Only 24 with plenty left ahead of him, he'll ultimately have the most consistent career of all the players drafted in the top 10, and still very possibly the best. 

• Like 3

Too much talk of what was or what could of been than what is.   Quinnen Williams  is a New York Jet.   It may not be the player some people think it should be but you can't say the Quinnen Williams pick was a bad choice yet.   Some people are so anti-maccagnan he would have  been criticized no matter what he did.   I am not a fan of Maccagnan.   Let's not take our dislike of Maccagnan out on the players drafted.   Adam Gase and Gregg Williams still need to put together good schemes to take advantage.    I think Quinnen Williams is a great piece  for Gregg Williams to work along with J. Polite.    I am looking forward to seeing what the Jets can accomplish this year.  It depends mostly on the continued development of Sam Darnold.   I think there is enough WR talent to help Sam Darnold play well.  Give the team a chance to develop before declaring doom and gloom in May.