Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread

DowNY

4 hours ago, famousj said:

Too much talk of what was or what could of been than what is.   Quinnen Williams  is a New York Jet.   It may not be the player some people think it should be but you can't say the Quinnen Williams pick was a bad choice yet.   Some people are so anti-maccagnan he would have  been criticized no matter what he did.   I am not a fan of Maccagnan.   Let's not take our dislike of Maccagnan out on the players drafted.   Adam Gase and Gregg Williams still need to put together good schemes to take advantage.    I think Quinnen Williams is a great piece  for Gregg Williams to work along with J. Polite.    I am looking forward to seeing what the Jets can accomplish this year.  It depends mostly on the continued development of Sam Darnold.   I think there is enough WR talent to help Sam Darnold play well.  Give the team a chance to develop before declaring doom and gloom in May.

Very well said FAMOUS. Very little has been said the last several months about Darnold. He will be only 22 when the season starts, I have no idea how he will do in his second year. The big question is will the O line hold up for him, I hate going into the upcoming season without a real center. The good news is we will have much more help at the WR position than we had last year. Bell should be a huge help in the passing game, he is a outstanding pass receiver for a running back. Only time will tell.

I just see that we've had major holes for years at WR and Edge and in 5 full off seasons Macc has done nothing long term at either spot. WR is vastly a more important position than most are giving in credit for as well as a receiving RB. Its a passing league. So how do you expect to succeed and develop a QB without good WRs. Im not bashing our WR group bc strictly on talent they're above average. But the depth is my problem bc of Q's injury history, Robby is always a risk off the field and Crowder just is coming off injry himself. And the depth after that is quite frankly piss poor. Bellamy and Burnett are not legit options on a depth chart really. I really hope we snag a guy that gets cut to be our #4 bc its a matter of time before that #4 is a starter for us with our starting 3.

You see good teams realizing this trend. Look at NE last 2 1st Rounders. Michel and now Harry.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I just see that we've had major holes for years at WR and Edge and in 5 full off seasons Macc has done nothing long term at either spot. WR is vastly a more important position than most are giving in credit for as well as a receiving RB. Its a passing league. So how do you expect to succeed and develop a QB without good WRs. Im not bashing our WR group bc strictly on talent they're above average. But the depth is my problem bc of Q's injury history, Robby is always a risk off the field and Crowder just is coming off injry himself. And the depth after that is quite frankly piss poor. Bellamy and Burnett are not legit options on a depth chart really. I really hope we snag a guy that gets cut to be our #4 bc its a matter of time before that #4 is a starter for us with our starting 3.

You see good teams realizing this trend. Look at NE last 2 1st Rounders. Michel and now Harry.

Honestly what #4 is really good though.  Are there any teams that have a starting caliber #4 without some question marks?  Honest questions because I don't want to go looking.  I feel like we have a very good WR/TE/RB group.  There are so many bigger issues to worry about then #4 WR.  

NE also did that because they arguably had the worst weapons in the game since Gronk was no longer himself and about to retire.  They weren't loaded with talent at RB/WR and were stockpiling depth.  Harry is going to be like the #2/#3 WR and RB was a major need for them because they wanted to protect Brady and not have him throw 40 times a game.  White wasn't a bell cow so it was a major need for them.   

Edited by Rockice_8

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Honestly what #4 is really good though.  Are there any teams that have a starting caliber #4 without some question marks?  Honest questions because I don't want to go looking.  I feel like we have a very good WR/TE/RB group.  There are so many bigger issues to worry about then #4 WR.  

NE also did that because they arguably had the worst weapons in the game since Gronk was no longer himself and about to retire.  They weren't loaded with talent at RB/WR and were stockpiling depth.  Harry is going to be like the #2/#3 WR and RB was a major need for them because they wanted to protect Brady and not have him throw 40 times a game.  White wasn't a bell cow so it was a major need for them.   

No most teams don’t. But most teams don’t have their #1 WR that gets injured every year and has big injury issues. There #2 a star a 1 truck pony who’s always prone to off the field issues and their #3 a guy coming off injury. Most teams have a healthier more rounded group of WRs than we do.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No most teams don’t. But most teams don’t have their #1 WR that gets injured every year and has big injury issues. There #2 a star a 1 truck pony who’s always prone to off the field issues and their #3 a guy coming off injury. Most teams have a healthier more rounded group of WRs than we do.

Anderson's off the field issues are largely overblown.  I see no reason to harp on him not being a liability in that regard, it seems like a major stretch in that regard.  Anderson is not just a one trick pony either, he'd be a 1k WR if we just had decent QB play in his career.  Q has injury concerns no doubt no argument there.  Crowder had 1 season with a lingering injury in his career he's not injury prone.  He injury wasn't major where he he might not return to form either so I just think you are looking for any little argument to down play our good WR group.  Not sure why but #4 WR is far down the list a concerns going into the season.   

I mean Keenan Allen was injury prone early in his career, so was Julio for a small stretch with lingering ankle injuries.  Teams can't cover every position for injury with starting caliber players.  You have to hope that Bell and Herndon pick up the slack if you lose a WR like Q for a little while.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

What people don't realize is WR do go down every year, even if it is only a  week or two or three, we sure could use more good help at WR. Same thing could be said about our O line.

4 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

What people don't realize is WR do go down every year, even if it is only a  week or two or three, we sure could use more good help at WR. Same thing could be said about our O line.

Any position is an injury risk you'd have to be 2 deep and every position to feel comfortable then which is obviously not possible.  If you have 3 starting caliber WR's on your roster you are in a good spot.  Especially when you have a talented TE and RB to help the QB out.  Crowder was never injured until last year but now it's a concern?  I mean it's just realistic to have the kind of depth people want around here.

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Any position is an injury risk you'd have to be 2 deep and every position to feel comfortable then which is obviously not possible.  If you have 3 starting caliber WR's on your roster you are in a good spot.  Especially when you have a talented TE and RB to help the QB out.  Crowder was never injured until last year but now it's a concern?  I mean it's just realistic to have the kind of depth people want around here.

This really isn't true. Bc most positions you're not rolling our 3-5 guys out there in most sets at a single position. CB is the only other position comparable. And in comparison our CB health risk is a lot less than that of our WR group. Obviously losing a guy like Adams for example is huge for a team. But he doesn't have an injury past to be worried about.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

It's so funny to see people kill the GM for a move like Leo who was actually a good one then and now.  

The problem is we will not commit 100 million dollar contracts to both Q and Leo. Someones gotta go. I'm all for building in the trenches but Leo nor QW will be a bright pick five years from now (unless QW becomes Aaron Donald.)

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This really isn't true. Bc most positions you're not rolling our 3-5 guys out there in most sets at a single position. CB is the only other position comparable. And in comparison our CB health risk is a lot less than that of our WR group. Obviously losing a guy like Adams for example is huge for a team. But he doesn't have an injury past to be worried about.

It is true because if you lose a RT you are starting a backup RT.  How is that any different then losing 1 WR and playing a backup WR.  At least you have different options like running 2 TE sets or splitting out a RB as good as Bell to limit the loss of a top WR.  We have a good amount of weapons I can't believe a #4 WR is a problem.  Sure if 2 or 3 WR's go down it may be but you can't run a team expecting to lose 2-3 guys at one position it's just not possible.

1 minute ago, Colt45fool said:

The problem is we will not commit 100 million dollar contracts to both Q and Leo. Someones gotta go. I'm all for building in the trenches but Leo nor QW will be a bright pick five years from now (unless QW becomes Aaron Donald.)

Thing is Leo is due next year and Q is locked up for 4 more after that.  We can sign Leo and have Q under control for a smaller salary and once Leo's huge cap hit is up Q will be closer to a new contract to resign him.  At that point Leo will be 28-29 and no longer a 18M+ player and we may be able to keep both long term.

• Like 2

It is true because if you lose a RT you are starting a backup RT.  How is that any different then losing 1 WR and playing a backup WR.  At least you have different options like running 2 TE sets or splitting out a RB as good as Bell to limit the loss of a top WR.  We have a good amount of weapons I can't believe a #4 WR is a problem.  Sure if 2 or 3 WR's go down it may be but you can't run a team expecting to lose 2-3 guys at one position it's just not possible.

Bc that backup RT isn’t playing unless there’s an injury. Where there are plenty of starting 4 WR sets. Especially under Gase.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc that backup RT isn’t playing unless there’s an injury. Where there are plenty of starting 4 WR sets. Especially under Gase.

And that #4 WR is barely playing unless there is an injury so what are you arguing?  The most used set by Gase was 3 WR and 1 TE.  We have the starting players covered then.  

And that #4 WR is barely playing unless there is an injury so what are you arguing?  The most used set by Gase was 3 WR and 1 TE.  We have the starting players covered then.  

I don’t think this is true. Kind of need snap count to really validate this, but your number 4 WR plays more than just when someone is hurt. The 4 WR set is one example. The other example is when one of your 3 WR has a big play. Typically, coaches pull that WR for a play or two so they can catch their breath. Matchups can play a role as well. Or where you are on the field (ie red zone). 

I don’t have snap count data so using the next best thing. If you look the Chargers who had 4 good WR and a QB who spreads the ball around, their number 4 WR Travis Benjamin was getting targets despite being behind 3 solid WR. Looking at the first 4 weeks of last season when they were all healthy, Benjamin had 8 targets. While that’s only 2 targets per game, he is likely the 3rd read and likely was on the field a lot more. He had half the targets Tyrell and Mike Williams had over that stretch.

Not all backup roles are created. Likely the guys that see the field most are rotating DLineman and Edge, WR# 4, swing tackle I jumbo sets and backup safety in big nickle sets. The rest of the guys are likely mostly ST guys.

With that said, I could see our RBs and TEs picking up those reps similar to what the Falcons did last year.

Edited by SDotNova