2019 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Chiefs_5627

I like how this draft has fallen so far. Just 1 CB picked and just 2 Safeties and WR. There is still a ton of talent left on these positions. WR is a  gamble anyways with so many available prospects. AJ Brown is the best left in my mind. I'm not a fan of Metcalf, but i guess he's gone anyways before we pick, so there shouldn't be a risk to end up with him. I would  be ok with Campbell and Isabella as well. I once read about a rumour, that the Chiefs liked Kelvin Harmon to pick on day 2. I hope that's not true, because that would be a total reach and  i don't think he's going to be good.

I guess there will be a run at CB, WR and some of the remaining OT early in the 2nd round. So it's going to be interesting to see the 2nd round work out until we pick.

7 hours ago, valkrei said:

Every 4th and later pick should be used to trade up and get the best players we can.  We need at least four players that can legitimately contribute. I would trade all our 4th and later picks to get back into the 2nd round and snag a CB we like.

My picks for day 2.

2a S Nasir Aderly

2b WR Parris Campbell (hills gone at this point and should be)

3. C Erick Mccoy

We don’t have a 4th.  

5th/6th/6th/7th.... that “might” get us to an early 4th.   Would much rather trade out of one of the 2nds and pick up a 3rd +4th+6th.     WR’s can be had in the 4th/5th this year

56 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

We don’t have a 4th.  

Bah! Forgot all about that! The Ragland trade. He looked so good at first then I wanted to take a couple inches off his brake lines... Maybe he'll be better in a 4-3 he doesn't have to read War and Peace in before he goes for a tackle.

10 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Bah! Forgot all about that! The Ragland trade. He looked so good at first then I wanted to take a couple inches off his brake lines... Maybe he'll be better in a 4-3 he doesn't have to read War and Peace in before he goes for a tackle.

He'll likely be worse. That's why Buffalo traded him; they went from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

We don’t have a 4th.  

5th/6th/6th/7th.... that “might” get us to an early 4th.   Would much rather trade out of one of the 2nds and pick up a 3rd +4th+6th.     WR’s can be had in the 4th/5th this year

4th and later next year as well.

yea not sure what to do im not a fan of the value after the 3rd round this year.

4 minutes ago, valkrei said:

4th and later next year as well.

yea not sure what to do im not a fan of the value after the 3rd round this year.

I’m a big fan of the depth at IOL, WR, and DL this year.  Maybe not so much at other positions but those spots a good player can be had much later.    

Hoping we go DB’s early, as definitely not much after Round 4 in that department.

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

I’m a big fan of the depth at IOL, WR, and DL this year.  Maybe not so much at other positions but those spots a good player can be had much later.    

Hoping we go DB’s early, as definitely not much after Round 4 in that department.

yea I see us going BPA at position of need.  WR going to happen thought. Hills might as well be gone.

The prospect of Hill being gone is going to hurt the Chiefs ability to stretch opposing defenses.  I'm of the opinion that given enough time, Mahomes can connect with any receiver on the field.  I therefore believe the chiefs should draft a flexible offensive lineman like Dalton Risner.  He's smart, athletic, and can pretty much play anywhere along the O line.  A receiver is also a must tonight, and a corner would hopefully be in the mix as the 3rd draft pick.

• Like 3

My assumption is Hill won't play for the Chiefs this year.

That leaves (as of now) Watkins and Robinson as starters at WR with Dieter, Kemp and Pringle (of whom I read good things prior to his injury) as depth.
At DB I think the S crew is serviceable as it stands (Mathieu and Watts as starters, Sorensen and Lucas as backups).
At CB you have Fuller, Breeland and Ward, with Tremon Smith and Reaser as backups.

Now you've got to check what you've got draftwise to improve. I think if they get TWO starters out of their next three picks - that would be great.
Watkins, Mathieu and Fuller are set - so those guys would have to beat out Robinson, Watts and Breeland/Ward respectively.

Most to be gained in my opinion would be at WR - especially with no Kareem Hunt and Kelce as the only proven TE to catch a ball. Thus improving at WR FOR THE LONGER TERM seems to be essential.

Next necessity in my opinion would be CB, especially with a view to potential injuries. Nickel sets have become the standard ... and injury WILL strike. So some need here as well.

On the other hand you have to consider the post-draft free agnecy period. After the draft a whole bunch of veterans will be let go. Finding a bridging option here is possible most of the time. The Chiefs have sufficient cap to sign a whole bunch of short term 2 M$/year contracts. And there are guys available like D'Anthony Thomas and comparable players at all positions to fill backup slots.

So the Chiefs will have to pick and chose where to improve the STARTERS and where to improve the immediate backup position. For me it's WR and CB.

Finally, an out-of-the-box thought: If they manage to get a Kareem Hunt level RB into the mix - that may solve the WR issue as well ...

Those asking for OL help - here's the consolation award: Good guys out there as well waiting to be signed on the cheap. I'm not aware of anyone complaining about Jeff Allen's play last year. And he's still there waiting for a call (hint: he played some emergency OC as well when with the Chiefs previously).

Edited by KC_Guy

Earlier in the offseason there was a rumor, that John Ross from the Bengals was available for trade. He's a talented WR that hasn't been able to stay healthy and doesn't fit with Andy Dalton as QB, since Andy sucks at throwing the ball deep.  I would try to trade for him as he's the closet to Tyreek speed in the league. 

2 hours ago, KCsb said:

The prospect of Hill being gone is going to hurt the Chiefs ability to stretch opposing defenses.  I'm of the opinion that given enough time, Mahomes can connect with any receiver on the field.  I therefore believe the chiefs should draft a flexible offensive lineman like Dalton Risner.  He's smart, athletic, and can pretty much play anywhere along the O line.  A receiver is also a must tonight, and a corner would hopefully be in the mix as the 3rd draft pick.

No doubt man. Protect PM2 give him weapons. CB is a must.

2 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

I'm not aware of anyone complaining about Jeff Allen's play last year. And he's still there waiting for a call (hint: he played some emergency OC as well when with the Chiefs pre

I complained. Allen can't pass block. He's strictly for run offense. The Patriots ate up our interior OL. Mahomes deserves better protection.

8 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Oh absolutely, I wanna keep our 2s n 3 but I'd give up a 4th too move up a few spots for Greedy or Adderley 

The Patriots proved that 2nd round picks are better value, taken as a group, than 1st round picks. With a few exceptions, 2nd round picks have comparable upside at a lower cost. What you do not get is plug-n-play. 

So, the much-mocked Deandre Baker was on the board at #29. What was not expected is that he would be the first CB taken or that two safeties would go before any CB. Out of a very deep DB class, I expect at least 5 DB to go before we pick at #61. I know that's almost 20% of the picks, but it is what it is.

J

just did a fanspeak draft lol trough only round 3. Did a few out of curiosity using multi settings for variety.

CB Justin Layne, CB Julian Love, WR Emanuel Hall

or CB Julian Love,  C Erik Mccoy, WR Amdy isabella

or

S Chauncy Gardner Johnson, TE Irv Smith, CB Joejuan Williams

or WR Deebo Samuel,  CB Sean Bunting,  TE Jace Strernberger