49ers draft Nick Bosa at 2

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think it's fair to be skeptical about Solly. If he doesn't succeed this year, with this surrounding cast, then he can go. It will be Armstead we'll be re-signing, instead of him (later on). But if he breaks through, we'll probably let Armstead walk. I think we're in a good spot. A spot where we don't have to expect too much from Thomas in order to have a good defense. He doesn't have to be a difference maker. If he turns out to be one, we'll have one hell of defense. If he does not, then we should be much better anyway.

Pretty much. Expecting nothing much, hoping for the world. 

5 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think it's fair to be skeptical about Solly. If he doesn't succeed this year, with this surrounding cast, then he can go. It will be Armstead we'll be re-signing, instead of him (later on). But if he breaks through, we'll probably let Armstead walk. I think we're in a good spot. A spot where we don't have to expect too much from Thomas in order to have a good defense. He doesn't have to be a difference maker. If he turns out to be one, we'll have one hell of defense. If he does not, then we should be much better anyway.

Yep, It's nice to have depth and options right now and see who succeeds. That worst scenario is if both dont pan out, then we can go back and really grade those picks and think of what could have been. But i am liking the talent we have and couple that with a new 'aggressive' D-line coach, i think good things will come of this

7 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Wow, such doubters. I'm certain Soly will impress this season. Of course, those of us who watch Delmark's Tube channel already know what to expect.... B|

Maybe he will. And I'm glad you are so certain of him and think it will happen. But objectively, he hasn't done anything to earn that kind of faith as of yet. 

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just read he might hold out. Him and his brother are true pieces of work.

yeah, over the offset language.

I honestly think we need to just cave and get rid of the offset language. I mean, the chances we cut this guy in the next 4 years are basically 0, so who cares?

We are haggling over the money that would be owed to him in the event we cut him. We want the money owed to be deducted against what he will earn with another team. Very very unlikely we cut the guy, so lets just make this deal and move on. 

He hasn't practiced football in like 18 months now a this point or whatever it is, he needs to get into camp on day one and practice. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just read he might hold out. Him and his brother are true pieces of work.

They are all business on the contract end. I haven't read into this situation too much at this point, though in his brother's case, I was totally on Joey's side because the Chargers were asking him to accept concessions that no top 3 pick had ever been forced to agree to if I remember right. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

They are all business on the contract end. I haven't read into this situation too much at this point, though in his brother's case, I was totally on Joey's side because the Chargers were asking him to accept concessions that no top 3 pick had ever been forced to agree to if I remember right. 

Agreed. Also remember that Solomon Thomas didn’t sign until the first TC practice was ongoing. I think we’ll get it done on time.

• 4 weeks later...

Meh long term view. Who really cares about a few wks missed(if it comes to that) for yrs of top production? Roquan Smith was the last pick to sign last yr...had a great rookie yr. As been mentioned his bro did an even longer holdout...same result. If he's good he'll be good whenever he gets into camp/gms.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, sherm said:

Meh long term view. Who really cares about a few wks missed(if it comes to that) for yrs of top production? Roquan Smith was the last pick to sign last yr...had a great rookie yr. As been mentioned his bro did an even longer holdout...same result. If he's good he'll be good whenever he gets into camp/gms.

I only worry about it because the guy hasn't played or practiced for so long. Its basically been a full year. 

Not only that, but he was a rotational player in college. He's never been a full time starter. 

I really wonder what the dispute is about. It can't be offset language. Does anyone know for sure? 

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I really wonder what the dispute is about. It can't be offset language. Does anyone know for sure? 

Does anyone know there is officially a dispute? Solomon Thomas, Mike McGlinchey, and Dante Pettis each signed around this time without missing much, if any, of camp. Only Reuben Foster was drafted in the first or second under this regime and signed well before camp.

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I only worry about it because the guy hasn't played or practiced for so long. Its basically been a full year. 

Not only that, but he was a rotational player in college. He's never been a full time starter. 

Pretty much my concern. For the team as a whole, and for Bosa. Injuries / health. I do think the longer he is out, the more likely he is to get hurt in season one. 

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Does anyone know there is officially a dispute? Solomon Thomas, Mike McGlinchey, and Dante Pettis each signed around this time without missing much, if any, of camp. Only Reuben Foster was drafted in the first or second under this regime and signed well before camp.

If they agreed about everything he would have signed by now, so there is clearly something that they haven't been able to agree on. 

I understand your point but there was something those players couldn't come to an agreement about as well, otherwise they would have signed earlier. Maybe all of those players just caved to our demands with regards to specific language or something, who knows. Maybe bosa won't be as accommodating. Maybe not. Does anyone know why those players all waited that long to sign? 

28/32 frps have signed. We aren't waiting to make the deal just to drag this out for schitz and giggles, there is obviously something we can't agree on as of this point. 

That doesn't mean we won't get the deal done and that he won't miss any camp, but the way bosa has conducted business so far, I am a little apprehensive about it 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pretty much my concern. For the team as a whole, and for Bosa. Injuries / health. I do think the longer he is out, the more likely he is to get hurt in season one. 

Yeah, and assuming he does miss some time in TC, that just means the speed will be that much faster when he does show up. They tend to ease guys into it the first few days and then ramp up. He will miss that part and it will mean he will require special attention from the coaching and medical staffs, and who knows how that will work or how his body will react. I mean, the guy basically pulled a hammy immediately at minicamp 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

If they agreed about everything he would have signed by now, so there is clearly something that they haven't been able to agree on. 

I understand your point but there was something those players couldn't come to an agreement about as well, otherwise they would have signed earlier. Maybe all of those players just caved to our demands with regards to specific language or something, who knows. Maybe bosa won't be as accommodating. Maybe not. Does anyone know why those players all waited that long to sign? 

28/32 frps have signed. We aren't waiting to make the deal just to drag this out for schitz and giggles, there is obviously something we can't agree on as of this point. 

That doesn't mean we won't get the deal done and that he won't miss any camp, but the way bosa has conducted business so far, I am a little apprehensive about it 

Yeah, and assuming he does miss some time in TC, that just means the speed will be that much faster when he does show up. They tend to ease guys into it the first few days and then ramp up. He will miss that part and it will mean he will require special attention from the coaching and medical staffs, and who knows how that will work or how his body will react. I mean, the guy basically pulled a hammy immediately at minicamp 

With no offense meant, none of this makes sense to me. Just because something isn't agreed to doesn't mean anything is in dispute,  and I am skeptical that if something could have happened, that means it would have. We have plenty of evidence to suggest this is normal for this regime and that we haven't had any problems previously. I think Solomon Thomas missed half a practice and that was the worst case. There have been no reports that I have seen that have suggested that this will be a long process or to expect a holdout of any kind. And even the previous Bosa holdout means little to me right now when Deebo also remains unsigned. Whatever the reason is that we take longer than others for our top picks to sign, that I don't know. But until there's a defined problem, this seems akin to spending all night worrying about whether or not the sun is going to come up the next day. History suggests it will happen, and it might be worth trusting that history rather than worrying about something that ultimately won't be a problem in the end.

To help you out, you nor I know why it has taken so long with our past picks, and no search I have conducted has turned up any reasons either. If there was an actual problem, I am sure one of our beat writers would have reported on it. Because they haven't, it seems like a lot of non-stories.

Besides- money is never the issue in this CBA, and sadly Paraag has had a lot of practice with getting top 10 draft pick contracts finished. Certainly, he will know what he has to concede in these talks to get the job done.