First round talk. (No pick tipping!)

KingTitan

12 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Seriously though, ESPN showing that clip from 2016 and spending the whole time talking about it instead of what he brings on the field was pretty lame.

Biggest night of Simmons life and they spent the whole time discussing his lowest point of his life. Not condoning what he did, but that's terrible.

I think if anything what they did was show how he's different than someone like Tyreek Hill. Not sure what you all want, just a casual mention of it? It's important, as one minor slip up and he's done in the league. But ultimately it seems like he screwed up and is atoning for it - and likely always will have to be doing that.

I honestly almost prefer just hitting it head on and not having some backlash a week from now. It sucks but it's what happened, and I don't think it's a bad thing that they tried to handle it with a bit of nuance.

5 minutes ago, VY said:

I think if anything what they did was show how he's different than someone like Tyreek Hill. Not sure what you all want, just a casual mention of it? It's important, as one minor slip up and he's done in the league. But ultimately it seems like he screwed up and is atoning for it - and likely always will have to be doing that.

I honestly almost prefer just hitting it head on and not having some backlash a week from now. It sucks but it's what happened, and I don't think it's a bad thing that they tried to handle it with a bit of nuance.

I mean they can show a highlight or two and actually talk a little about the player on the field...

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VY said:

Like tt4l said, they could have at least mentioned his on field talent and/or shown some of his highlights for a bit instead of spending 10 minutes getting 6 different guys opinions on his situation.

I don't know how true this is but I heard ESPN sent cameras, mics and all that stuff at his place. If that's true it makes it all the more worse that they spent the whole post pick talk discussing his 2016 incident. Especially when there was no mention of Nick Bosa's "problematic" tweets/instagram post after he was drafted.

17 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Like tt4l said, they could have at least mentioned his on field talent and/or shown some of his highlights for a bit instead of spending 10 minutes getting 6 different guys opinions on his situation.

I don't know how true this is but I heard ESPN sent cameras, mics and all that stuff at his place. If that's true it makes it all the more worse that they spent the whole post pick talk discussing his 2016 incident. Especially when there was no mention of Nick Bosa's "problematic" tweets/instagram post after he was drafted.

Being an idiot (and maybe worse) is one thing and I agree Bosa got a pass when he shouldnt have. But the Simmons video is something that needed to be covered with more than a passing mention. It should make you uncomfortable, I know it did for me. I think we are getting past letting these guys become millionaires and ignoring the stuff the rest of us would be ruined by. I thought Wingo was going out of his way to make sure the conversation didn't just stop with the video, which easily could've happened. 

Yea would be nice to see some positives but he and the Titans are going to have to earn that. I have every expectation he and they will though, because they've both been super transparent about it which is not the norm in the NFL. I guess I'm just not under the delusion that you can separate these things and just focus on football. Look at the Chiefs and how easily this could devolve into a roster nightmare if you just say everything's fine.

From here the focus will hopefully be he's making good, getting healthy and becoming the player we all hope he does. If everyone just avoided it the story would always be hovering there awkwardly. To me they've addressed it and have at least let me know they've done their work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VY said:

Being an idiot (and maybe worse) is one thing and I agree Bosa got a pass when he shouldnt have. But the Simmons video is something that needed to be covered with more than a passing mention. It should make you uncomfortable, I know it did for me. I think we are getting past letting these guys become millionaires and ignoring the stuff the rest of us would be ruined by. I thought Wingo was going out of his way to make sure the conversation didn't just stop with the video, which easily could've happened. 

Yea would be nice to see some positives but he and the Titans are going to have to earn that. I have every expectation he and they will though, because they've both been super transparent about it which is not the norm in the NFL. I guess I'm just not under the delusion that you can separate these things and just focus on football. Look at the Chiefs and how easily this could devolve into a roster nightmare if you just say everything's fine.

From here the focus will hopefully be he's making good, getting healthy and becoming the player we all hope he does. If everyone just avoided it the story would always be hovering there awkwardly. To me they've addressed it and have at least let me know they've done their work.

For me, I've just never seen what I seen last night, where they spent 10 minutes discussing a 1st round pick's off the field incident without ever discussing/mentioning any of his on the field talent. They didn't even do that with Joe Mixon. I mean, I don't even think they mentioned his ACL injury.

Now I don't want it to look like I'm dismissing, excusing or brushing aside what he did. It was disgusting, wrong and inexcusable. However, Simmons was punished for it, and has (from all accounts of those in the know) shown contrition and remorse over the 3 years since the incident.

At the end of the day, this really doesn't even matter in the grand picture. I just think the coverage of it rubbed me (and based off what I'm seeing on social media), a lot of folks the wrong way.

11 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

For me, I've just never seen what I seen last night, where they spent 10 minutes discussing a 1st round pick's off the field incident without ever discussing/mentioning any of his on the field talent. They didn't even do that with Joe Mixon. I mean, I don't even think they mentioned his ACL injury.

Now I don't want it to look like I'm dismissing, excusing or brushing aside what he did. It was disgusting, wrong and inexcusable. However, Simmons was punished for it, and has (from all accounts of those in the know) shown contrition and remorse over the 3 years since the incident.

At the end of the day, this really doesn't even matter in the grand picture. I just think the coverage of it rubbed me (and based off what I'm seeing on social media), a lot of folks the wrong way.

I think that has more to do with the NFL's history of either ignoring incidents like that, or just slapping players on the wrist.  That's why there's the new focus on it, which IMO, should have been how it was the whole time.  I grew up being taught that you never hit a woman, regardless of the situation, especially if you're a 300 lb future professional athlete.  I had no problem with the coverage.  It's something that should stick with him the rest of his life.  I'm a defense attorney, and for most of my clients, a video like that makes them a felon for the rest of their lives along with 3-6 years in prison.  He's now a pro football player.  I don't care how this incident being discussed "ruined his night."

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think that has more to do with the NFL's history of either ignoring incidents like that, or just slapping players on the wrist.  That's why there's the new focus on it, which IMO, should have been how it was the whole time.  I grew up being taught that you never hit a woman, regardless of the situation, especially if you're a 300 lb future professional athlete.  I had no problem with the coverage.  It's something that should stick with him the rest of his life.  I'm a defense attorney, and for most of my clients, a video like that makes them a felon for the rest of their lives along with 3-6 years in prison.  He's now a pro football player.  I don't care how this incident being discussed "ruined his night."

I think we should take it a step further and behead him at sunset. That'll show em.     

1 hour ago, ShupacTakur said:

I think we should take it a step further and behead him at sunset. That'll show em.     

My dude... if that's your takeaway from all that no one can help ya. 

Regardless, he seems honest and not just sticking to some PR script and has a lot of positive references over a 3 year period in Starkville. Hopefully the only focus now is recovery and getting as much time with Simmons and Jurrell as possible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VY said:

My dude... if that's your takeaway from all that no one can help ya. 

Regardless, he seems honest and not just sticking to some PR script and has a lot of positive references over a 3 year period in Starkville. Hopefully the only focus now is recovery and getting as much time with Simmons and Jurrell as possible. 

If I need help I’ll ask. I saw the video. There should be a crime and punishment involved, but I disagree with the calls for crucifixion of this dude. I’ve seen harsher things transpire at a goddamn Midtown cookout than I saw on that video. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'm a defense attorney, and for most of my clients, a video like that makes them a felon for the rest of their lives along with 3-6 years in prison.  

That doesn't make sense to me, are you implying he got off easy because the cops knew he was going to be a first round draft pick in the NFL years after the incident? Or are you just saying you're a terrible defense attorney?