Jets selects Quinnen Williams 3rd overall in the 2019 Draft

Bobby816

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Damn, why the hell aren't you guys freaking out more? You landed a blue chip, elite disruptor on the d-line. You should be freaking ecstatic. 

Guys a great player but we already have 2 very good players at that position and it’s a spot you can only play 2 guys at or play a guy out of position making them not as valuable. But yes Q is a great talent. Won’t ever question that

15 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Damn, why the hell aren't you guys freaking out more? You landed a blue chip, elite disruptor on the d-line. You should be freaking ecstatic. 

It's hard to understand if you are not a Jets fan. We've gone the blue chip DT before. We've also drafted defense for what seems like forever. While there wasn't a good offensive player that made sense at #3, there were options at edge which has been a glaring issue for us for over a decade. We've heard about the consensus BPA before. I'm sick of hearing it and would prefer to draft players at edge or the OL if the player is not too much of a reach. 

I look at teams like New England that seem to draft with a goal in mind of how they want to play the game. You hear it all the time, "that's a Patriot type of player" "he looks like a Steeler" "that's a tough Ravens type of player". For the Jets we just go BPA and see how the decks fall. One day I want my team to draft with a purpose. If there's a goal, I guess it's to try and disrupt the QB up the middle. We've tried that before and needed to manufacture pressure with exotic blitz etc. So now, we have to hope Gregg Williams does his thing. 

There are some Jets fans that are ecstatic about the pick though. So it's not all of us.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

lol We're all fighting right now, we'll get back to you later. 

Haha. By Sunday we will all get behind the pick. It happened with Gase. We all took sides and fought when we didn't get our way. Now we are all behind the Gase hiring. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

Haha. By Sunday we will all get behind the pick. It happened with Gase. We all took sides and fought when we didn't get our way. Now we are all behind the Gase hiring. 

lol I'm on a wait and see situation with him as well. I'm not getting my hopes up. 

10 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Without doubt the general opinion on all the talk shows/tv shows and forums is that Q-Will is a stud. No doubt about it.

The problem is he’s a stud in a position that isn’t classed as ‘premuim’ and we also have two very good guys already (plus a 3rd rounder from last year) who play that position. 

We have to be excited to land a blue chip player and if we do (eventually) get an edge rusher or dare I say it two edge rushers (shock,horror) then Q-Will could be an integral player for the next ten years. 

I would of gone with Allen or traded our 3rd rounder (#105) to SF and got Bosa as apparently they graded Bosa and Q-Will the same. But it’s Macc who has his *** on the hot seat so we will soon see how it all unfolds. 

Ps...Getting Sam Darnold last year saved him from being fired IMO along with Bowles so he has a short leash I’d imagine. 

It is a premium position though. Maybe not to the extent as EDGE, but look around the league. A lot of the most consistent, disruptive pass rushers in the league year-to-year are interior defenders (not necessarily sacks, but production). 

Aaron Donald. JJ Watt. Chris Jones. DeForest Buckner. Calais Campbell. Fletcher Cox. Geno Atkins. Michael Bennett. Cameron Heyward. Sheldon Rankins. Akiem Hicks. Kenny Clark. Grady Jarrett. Just to name a few. 

Yes, having an elite EDGE is great, but they're harder to find and even the good ones are far more inconsistent.  Other than Von Miller, Justin Houston, Khalil Mack, Myles Garrett (so far), Demarcus Lawrence, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Wake, TJ Watt (so far) and Brandon Graham - it's very hard to find an edge rusher who is efficient year-in year-out. Yeah you have guys like Dee Ford or Vic Beasley that post huge numbers occasionally, but it's not consistent. I get the rebuttal to this (if there's less elite edge talent, use your premier resources to try and find one), but that's why you find yourself in a Vic Beasley position. Give me a guy that will be effective year-in, year-out and build around him, then the guy who has a chance of being mediocre some years and good others. 

In my opinion, the Jets best path for success now that we've added Quinnen? Adopt the Minnesota model. For years they've built their pass rush from the inside out; having premium talent on the inside and taking chances on mid round picks with traits or by making trades for the elite EDGE rushers. It's worked for them. Danielle Hunter (3rd), Everson Griffin (4th), Brian Robison (4th), Jared Allen (trade) were great additions, but the engine of that defense was always built around the interior - Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Linval Joseph, etc. 

Obviously we have higher hopes for Leonard and Quinnen Williams as pass rushers, but the point I'm making is that these guys are premier gap penetrators; if you put a lot of mid round resources into the EDGE on players with traits who you can develop, or even trade for an EDGE rusher, you can build an elite, complementary defensive line. Maybe I come off as the eternal optimist, but the Jets have been so close to landing one of these rushers that I feel confident it will eventually happen. Kind of like the QB dilemma. We tried everything, but eventually something stuck. Again, I think we trade for Clowney and I'm not sure how great that will pan out, but for the short term it will be a significant boost to our defense. 

• Like 1

This is probably the dumbest possible pick.

With Leo already and a mid round pick from last year now wasted on Shephard weve put ourselves in the same predicament weve been in since John Abraham was traded.

A surplus of interior lineman, no edge rushers and we keep drafting new interior lineman to replace the ones entering their prime because we dont want to pay them. 

It appears it doesnt matter who the GM is. They will never prioritize another position besides interior lineman. 

• Like 1