Jets selects Quinnen Williams 3rd overall in the 2019 Draft

Bobby816

I just cant believe we did this again. This is the most absurd, obnoxious and elementary draft style. Little Mac isnt playing checkers in a room full of chess players. Hes not even allowed to touch the checkers board, nor should he be.

Not take away from QW. I'm sure hes a good, perhaps great. Mo Wilk, Leo and Sheldon were too. Coples showed promise even. And they were all replaced by first round talent 3-4 years later. 

Edited by Colt45fool

6 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

I just cant believe we did this again. This is the most absurd, obnoxious and elementary draft style. Little Mac isnt playing checkers in a room full of chess players. Hes not even allowed to touch the checkers board, nor should he be.

Not take away from QW. I'm sure hes a good, perhaps great. Mo Wilk, Leo and Sheldon were too. Coples showed promise even. And they were all replaced by first round talent 3-4 years later. 

You're being far too generous to Quniton Coples. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

Perhaps. 

I just hope it's as fun for you guys as it is for me watching our premium picks play out of position for the zillionth year. 

We keep trying to do the same thing but trying to do it better I guess. We’ll see the master plan unfold over the next few days. Maccagenius is playing 3D Chess.

My only hope at this point is sign a guy like Ansah and use Lee to trade up for a center. Take a WR and TE with the late 3rd and early 4th. There should hopefully be good WR and TE value on the board at that time.

Edited by SDotNova

Just for the record, I liked Allen and Williams.  However, since 2007 there have been 48 DE's selected in the 1st round.  By my standards, there are 30 who were either busts or never lived up to their draft status (the worst being Gholston).  That is a 62.5% miss rate.  Getting pressure up the middle is far more disruptive than getting pressure off the edge.  Its that whole shortest distance, straight line thing.  Yes, we have Leo and Anderson.  Adding Q. Williams allows us to play more 4 man fronts and keep them fresher with rotations.  Not to mention if Leo decides to ask for the moon next year, he can walk.

My point is Q is a safer pick that will have a great impact.  We will have missed if Allen is part of the 37.5% club, but since we need talented football players, Q is the right choice.  Another item of note, Bruce Ariens states that you always take BPA even if you have guys in that position already.  Find a way to make it work.  I trust Bruce Arian's views.

If anyone knows how to upload an attachment (MS Word), I can share the spreadsheet.

I sure can understand why so many people on this board are upset about our first round pick. Our big need going into the draft was to get a edge  rusher, they were there for the taking when we were on the clock at #3. Did we get one hell no Macc, played it safe again and took the BPA, William probably is the BPA, but we didn't need him. I have been saying for weeks on this board that the chance of us trading down is 98% we won't. I spent a couple of hours weeks ago checking the teams that might want to move up, their draft picks and their needs. I could not find one team that would give up valuable draft picks to move up to get the players in this years draft. Look how great the teams that pick after us did in the draft, without giving up any draft picks except for the Giants. The Redskins had a great first round, getting a QB and a edge rusher.

I don't know when but down the line people will realize what a BUFFOON, Macc, really is when it come to drafting

Edited by doumeyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johntyler82 said:

You're being far too generous to Quniton Coples. 

In fairness, I think the Jets ruined Coples. He didn't have the work ethic and football IQ needed to be a star in this league, but he could've been a solid player. Jets stunted his development by trying to make him what he wasn't. Once you ask a guy like him to be something he isn't (OLB) and put him through all the work trying to learn different assignments, lose weight, change their regime, etc. - it doesn't usually end well

Stemming off the whole Coples topic, I know a lot of fans make compelling points how we have gone down the road of selecting BPA/DL and it didn't work. We're leaving out very important factors... 

Mo Wilkerson (#30), Quinton Coples (#16), and Sheldon Richardson (#13) were all first round picks for us with varying degrees of talent and success. The primary reason it didn't work out for them? Character

Wilkerson was a stud until he got paid, but even before then he had issues with work ethic, meeting attendance, etc. Coples was lazy; it was known prior to the draft and it became apparent after it. Richardson had a lot of issues off the field. None of these things have been, nor should be, issues for either Leonard Williams or Quinnen Williams.

It's fair to feel like Leo hasn't lived up to his draft slot (#6), but again, I urge fans to keep in mind that he's only 24 years old. He's a good player, a team leader, and is a great presence on-and-off the field. The alternative (Vic Beasley) would've been disastrous. Quinnen Williams also has zero football-and-personal character concerns, and from the sounds of it we shouldn't expect that to be an issue with him either. He's going to bring his lunch pale, work, not be a diva, and do what is expected of him. 

I get it. The Wilkerson-Coples-Richardson-Williams rotation didn't work. However, that doesn't mean that Williams-Anderson-Shepherd-Williams won't. Totally different culture, totally different environment, different scheme, and we actually have a potential franchise QB whereas those groups didn't. You cannot discount those factors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Just for the record, I liked Allen and Williams.  However, since 2007 there have been 48 DE's selected in the 1st round.  By my standards, there are 30 who were either busts or never lived up to their draft status (the worst being Gholston).  That is a 62.5% miss rate.  Getting pressure up the middle is far more disruptive than getting pressure off the edge.  Its that whole shortest distance, straight line thing.  Yes, we have Leo and Anderson.  Adding Q. Williams allows us to play more 4 man fronts and keep them fresher with rotations.  Not to mention if Leo decides to ask for the moon next year, he can walk.

My point is Q is a safer pick that will have a great impact.  We will have missed if Allen is part of the 37.5% club, but since we need talented football players, Q is the right choice.  Another item of note, Bruce Ariens states that you always take BPA even if you have guys in that position already.  Find a way to make it work.  I trust Bruce Arian's views.

If anyone knows how to upload an attachment (MS Word), I can share the spreadsheet.

The interior line is more disruptive argument is foolish if we run a 3-4. A big part of their job is to hold blockers and take up space. We have found guys that can do just that very well as UDFAs and late round picks allowing the linebackers to make plays.

If QW isnt Aaron freaking Donald this is a waste. In three years well be staring down a barrel, picking top 10, the bpa is an interior lineman and Leo's contract is an issue. And well go interior lineman again. Because why the hell not...

42 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Stemming off the whole Coples topic, I know a lot of fans make compelling points how we have gone down the road of selecting BPA/DL and it didn't work. We're leaving out very important factors... 

Mo Wilkerson (#30), Quinton Coples (#16), and Sheldon Richardson (#13) were all first round picks for us with varying degrees of talent and success. The primary reason it didn't work out for them? Character

Wilkerson was a stud until he got paid, but even before then he had issues with work ethic, meeting attendance, etc. Coples was lazy; it was known prior to the draft and it became apparent after it. Richardson had a lot of issues off the field. None of these things have been, nor should be, issues for either Leonard Williams or Quinnen Williams.

It's fair to feel like Leo hasn't lived up to his draft slot (#6), but again, I urge fans to keep in mind that he's only 24 years old. He's a good player, a team leader, and is a great presence on-and-off the field. The alternative (Vic Beasley) would've been disastrous. Quinnen Williams also has zero football-and-personal character concerns, and from the sounds of it we shouldn't expect that to be an issue with him either. He's going to bring his lunch pale, work, not be a diva, and do what is expected of him. 

I get it. The Wilkerson-Coples-Richardson-Williams rotation didn't work. However, that doesn't mean that Williams-Anderson-Shepherd-Williams won't. Totally different culture, totally different environment, different scheme, and we actually have a potential franchise QB whereas those groups didn't. You cannot discount those factors. 

Tbh the attitude thing is a cop out. We keep pushing the goal posts back for these picks. Coples wilk sheldon was NEVER going to work and 95% of this forum understood that. The ones that didnt made the same arguments being made now. 

I'm not pushing the goal posts for these crap GMs we have. This is a trash pick. No disrespect to QW. At #3 you take an impact, complimentary player you can build around. Not a guy who doesnt have a spot. Teams with QBs dont take QBs in the first round. Why should we hold our GM any differently? 

I'm sure QW will be great. This is just a bad movie weve already seen play out.