Jets selects Quinnen Williams 3rd overall in the 2019 Draft

Bobby816

4 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

It is a premium position though. Maybe not to the extent as EDGE, but look around the league. A lot of the most consistent, disruptive pass rushers in the league year-to-year are interior defenders (not necessarily sacks, but production). 

Aaron Donald. JJ Watt. Chris Jones. DeForest Buckner. Calais Campbell. Fletcher Cox. Geno Atkins. Michael Bennett. Cameron Heyward. Sheldon Rankins. Akiem Hicks. Kenny Clark. Grady Jarrett. Just to name a few. 

Yes, having an elite EDGE is great, but they're harder to find and even the good ones are far more inconsistent.  Other than Von Miller, Justin Houston, Khalil Mack, Myles Garrett (so far), Demarcus Lawrence, Cameron Jordan, Cameron Wake, TJ Watt (so far) and Brandon Graham - it's very hard to find an edge rusher who is efficient year-in year-out. Yeah you have guys like Dee Ford or Vic Beasley that post huge numbers occasionally, but it's not consistent. I get the rebuttal to this (if there's less elite edge talent, use your premier resources to try and find one), but that's why you find yourself in a Vic Beasley position. Give me a guy that will be effective year-in, year-out and build around him, then the guy who has a chance of being mediocre some years and good others. 

In my opinion, the Jets best path for success now that we've added Quinnen? Adopt the Minnesota model. For years they've built their pass rush from the inside out; having premium talent on the inside and taking chances on mid round picks with traits or by making trades for the elite EDGE rushers. It's worked for them. Danielle Hunter (3rd), Everson Griffin (4th), Brian Robison (4th), Jared Allen (trade) were great additions, but the engine of that defense was always built around the interior - Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Linval Joseph, etc. 

Obviously we have higher hopes for Leonard and Quinnen Williams as pass rushers, but the point I'm making is that these guys are premier gap penetrators; if you put a lot of mid round resources into the EDGE on players with traits who you can develop, or even trade for an EDGE rusher, you can build an elite, complementary defensive line. Maybe I come off as the eternal optimist, but the Jets have been so close to landing one of these rushers that I feel confident it will eventually happen. Kind of like the QB dilemma. We tried everything, but eventually something stuck. Again, I think we trade for Clowney and I'm not sure how great that will pan out, but for the short term it will be a significant boost to our defense. 

Of course if we could get similar production to the likes of JJ or Donald then we would be laughing all the way to the bank. What I meant by premium would be the (QB, LT, Edge, CB) positions that most teams covert at the top of the draft. 

Like Iv said many times...it’s not the road I’d of gone down but I absolutely love the player and if he turns into a probowl/all pro DT then it’s a great pick. Like you’ve mentioned; adding a Clowney through trade or perhaps a FA like Ansah would make the d-line much improved as speed may be an issue currently. 

I’d of been more upset if say we passed on Bosa for Williams but in the circumstance we were in it’s not like we’ve messed up. Q-Will is a beast and it will be cool to see him alongside the likes of Leo, CJ, Adams etc  

1 hour ago, Colt45fool said:

Tbh the attitude thing is a cop out. We keep pushing the goal posts back for these picks. Coples wilk sheldon was NEVER going to work and 95% of this forum understood that. The ones that didnt made the same arguments being made now. 

I'm not pushing the goal posts for these crap GMs we have. This is a trash pick. No disrespect to QW. At #3 you take an impact, complimentary player you can build around. Not a guy who doesnt have a spot. Teams with QBs dont take QBs in the first round. Why should we hold our GM any differently? 

I'm sure QW will be great. This is just a bad movie weve already seen play out. 

Lol, Coples was a terrible pick, no doubt, but the Sons of Anarchy worked fine for the few years they were together. Everything fell apart once we let Snacks go. We haven’t had a true NT, imo, since. With 6 300lb Dlineman we still don’t have a NT, nor do we have a 43 DE

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

Lol, Coples was a terrible pick, no doubt, but the Sons of Anarchy worked fine for the few years they were together. Everything fell apart once we let Snacks go. We haven’t had a true NT, imo, since. With 6 300lb Dlineman we still don’t have a NT, nor do we have a 43 DE

Gregg's defenses never have big NT, and truly, that's becoming a thing of the past. McLendon has operated fine as our nose; Leo plays well there, and I'm sure Quinnen will get some play there as well. Less about size and more about strength/ability to demand attention. Have to understand that despite being a "3-4" base, we'll rarely have someone line up at the 0. 

Just my 2 cents but Q was my favorite player of any position going into this draft.  I should also point out that i am a big believer in positional value.  I do think on average Edges are more impactful than interior DL.  I would, in a vacuum, prefer to draft edges ahead of DL.  That being said I will say that the gap between edges and interior pass rushers is closing.  The players are transforming into smaller more mobile guys, whose jobs aren't just to eat up blockers, but are to get into the backfield and cause havok.  

I liked Josh Allen, but when we were on the clock and i saw that we put our pick in i was praying to hear Q's name.  I think he can maybe effect the passing game somewhere between 85 and 120% of what Allen can do in the passing game (so effect it slightly less to slightly more), but Allen can only effect the running game maybe.... 30-50% as much as Q... like ever.  Lets not forget we were 26th against the run last year.  Being good against the run helps a D in the passing game.  It is easier to stop a 3rd and 10 pass than it is a 3rd and 3 pass because you couldn't stop the run.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colt45fool said:

The interior line is more disruptive argument is foolish if we run a 3-4. A big part of their job is to hold blockers and take up space. We have found guys that can do just that very well as UDFAs and late round picks allowing the linebackers to make plays.

If QW isnt Aaron freaking Donald this is a waste. In three years well be staring down a barrel, picking top 10, the bpa is an interior lineman and Leo's contract is an issue. And well go interior lineman again. Because why the hell not...

You are assuming we will run a 3-4. With the Williams tandem up front, I believe we will run more even fronts. I don’t care what people report or say at this point in the season, it is all B.S. Greg will formulate a D that utilizes the best players at their most productive positions.

Just a Packer fan trying to get in on this conversation, but IDL absolutely is a premium position as long as Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady are in y our division.  You saw what Joey Bosa, a top 3 EDGE in this league, was able to do to Tom Brady, and then you saw what Aaron Donald was able to do to Tom Brady.  Brady was virtually flawless against the Chargers, yet he struggled at times against the Chiefs, and a lot against the Rams.

The way to disrupt Brady is getting interior pressure.  Exterior pressure takes too long to effectively disrupt him without elite pass coverage.  Q. Williams will do more for the Jets against the Patriots than any of the EDGE rushers would have, and I was glad you guys took him. 

Then you got Jachai Polite, who was in play at 12th overall for the Packers until the combine.  His tape puts him in the top 20 of the draft and you got him in the third round due to some weird personality/ability to interview and a poor physical display that can be fixed through workouts. 

It was a good draft for your team. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just a Packer fan trying to get in on this conversation, but IDL absolutely is a premium position as long as Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady are in y our division.  You saw what Joey Bosa, a top 3 EDGE in this league, was able to do to Tom Brady, and then you saw what Aaron Donald was able to do to Tom Brady.  Brady was virtually flawless against the Chargers, yet he struggled at times against the Chiefs, and a lot against the Rams.

The way to disrupt Brady is getting interior pressure.  Exterior pressure takes too long to effectively disrupt him without elite pass coverage.  Q. Williams will do more for the Jets against the Patriots than any of the EDGE rushers would have, and I was glad you guys took him. 

Then you got Jachai Polite, who was in play at 12th overall for the Packers until the combine.  His tape puts him in the top 20 of the draft and you got him in the third round due to some weird personality/ability to interview and a poor physical display that can be fixed through workouts. 

I agree I'm very happy with this draft so far. Best one Mac's had to date, where I felt he actually got good value out of his Day 2 picks. Now give me a CB like Julian Love or Amani Oruwariye or a WR like Hakeem Butler and I'll give this an A+.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Agree. But Williams isn’t Donald. Oliver is more that kind of player. Williams is pretty much identical to our Williams. 

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

I agree I'm very happy with this draft so far. Best one Mac's had to date, where I felt he actually got good value out of his Day 2 picks. Now give me a CB like Julian Love or Amani Oruwariye or a WR like Hakeem Butler and I'll give this an A+.

I prefer Amani, a taller press corner, over Love who plays better in Zone. However, I would take either at this point.