Jets selects Quinnen Williams 3rd overall in the 2019 Draft

Bobby816

59 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm going to wait this one out. Leo becomes a free agent after this year + we're probably going to bring out the 43 a little more under Gregg. Clowney is still on the trading block as well. Am I excited? Not really, but he is really good. If used correctly, he can give us the pass rushing help we need as well as improve the run defense. 

Grabbing a great edge is the only way I’m ok with this pick. So as it stands now... I don’t like it.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

If Q has the impact Leo has. It’s an awful pick. And his game is similar. Didn’t like the Leo pick years ago and don’t like this one. As Adams says we need dogs on this team. Instead we just drafted a guy to take on OLineman, but with no pass rushers to take advantage of that.

I can see why someone would be upset with the pick and it makes total sense. Resource allocation is a real thing in the NFL and teams know how to master it. But to criticize the player? For one, Leonard is only 24 years old. He doesn't have the sack numbers to back it up but he's been one of the best 34 DEs in the NFL when it comes to disrupting the QB over his 4 year career. He also hasn't had the benefit of playing in a one-gap scheme like a lot of the other elite DLs do. That said, if you even watched a minute of tape on Quinnen Williams you can tell they have different games. Leo primarily wins with power and length, whereas Quinnen wins with leverage and finesse (and power). They do compliment each other, even if not as well as Oliver/Leo would have. Either way, this isn't about Leo, it's about Williams... get over it, it was 4 years ago.

Second. You trying to say Quinnen Williams isn't a "dog" is hilarious. He's an elite prospect with elite talent, work ethic, motor, and football intangibles. Furthermore, Williams best trait is gap penetration/first step quickness/hand skills & technique, all of which translate to pass rush production. Quinnen Williams practically defines what Jamal meant by saying we need more "dogs". Please retract that statement immediately. 

I'm sorry, I just have to say; it's become clear to me this draft cycle that you're more of a madden "splash player" fan than one who truly understands the game. I thought more of your takes in the past... I'm not trying to be critical, but just thought you were more than the typical whiny Jets fan. Your evaluations have been downright off, and you seek players simply to fill needs and fit an agenda you believe to be the most exciting. I get it if you preferred to take an EDGE, I get it if you seek more offensive weapons, get it if you preferred to trade down, but your takes have just been down right off. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I can see why someone would be upset with the pick and it makes total sense. Resource allocation is a real thing in the NFL and teams know how to master it. But to criticize the player? For one, Leonard is only 24 years old. He doesn't have the sack numbers to back it up but he's been one of the best 34 DEs in the NFL when it comes to disrupting the QB over his 4 year career. He also hasn't had the benefit of playing in a one-gap scheme like a lot of the other elite DLs do. That said, if you even watched a minute of tape on Quinnen Williams you can tell they have different games. Leo primarily wins with power and length, whereas Quinnen wins with leverage and finesse (and power). They do compliment each other, even if not as well as Oliver/Leo would have. Either way, this isn't about Leo, it's about Williams... get over it, it was 4 years ago.

Second. You trying to say Quinnen Williams isn't a "dog" is hilarious. He's an elite prospect with elite talent, work ethic, motor, and football intangibles. Furthermore, Williams best trait is gap penetration/first step quickness/hand skills & technique, all of which translate to pass rush production. Quinnen Williams practically defines what Jamal meant by saying we need more "dogs". Please retract that statement immediately. 

I'm sorry, I just have to say; it's become clear to me this draft cycle that you're more of a madden "splash player" fan than one who truly understands the game. I thought more of your takes in the past... I'm not trying to be critical, but just thought you were more than the typical whiny Jets fan. Your evaluations have been downright off, and you seek players simply to fill needs and fit an agenda you believe to be the most exciting. I get it if you preferred to take an EDGE, I get it if you seek more offensive weapons, get it if you preferred to trade down, but your takes have just been down right off. 

You clearly pick and choose what you read. Bc I’ve repeatedly said that I don’t question Qs talent. Never once have said he’s not a great player. And it appears we have a different meaning of the word “dog” that Adams wants. I take that as a guy making big plays. For example Leo isn’t a dog imo. He’s a good player. But not making big plays. And that’s imo what we are getting in Q. A very talented player. But won’t be making big plays getting double digit sacks consistently, etc.

To go a step further. We pretty much gone “your” BPA style for a long time now and we have been perennial losers that’s way. I don’t disagree with going BPA. But when there’s a player at a need ranked very very close you ignore that strategy. No one can convince me Q is better for this team than a guy like Allen. Won’t happen. So it’s pointless to go around in circles about it.

I wanted Josh Allen but all in all...I am not an NFL GM. Quinnen is clearly ELITE. I feel much better since:

1. Josh Allen fell way past his top

2. Oliver didn't skyrocket

Quinnen is A+ Talent. Will we need an edge? Yes. But it was clear it was Bosa+Quinnen and everyone else. He has a good attitude, great story, and overall seems like a good character. Happy with the pick. What's just as big for us now is Day 2.

Also, does anyone know anything about Nathan Shepherd lol? Man, that's a whiff already.

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Grabbing a great edge is the only way I’m ok with this pick. So as it stands now... I don’t like it.

I wouldn't have picked him over Allen, but I'm going to give him a chance. Pass rushing from inside is just as important.  Macc & Leo are both on the hot seat anyway. So we'll see what happens. There are still some potential day 1 starters out there. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I wouldn't have picked him over Allen, but I'm going to give him a chance. Pass rushing from inside is just as important.  Macc & Leo are both on the hot seat anyway. So we'll see what happens. There are still some potential day 1 starters out there. 

Totally agree that a COMPLETE DL is disruptive. Interior pressure is just as valuable as edge pressure. My issue is that we already have 2-3 guys disrupting in the interior, it’s that we have no one on the outside to take away double teams from the interior or to even threat a OT or TE. And Q doesn’t change that. That’s my issue. It’s in essence just drafting a young way more talented Anderson. Still leaving no threat on the ends. So teams can just worry about Leo and Q and there QB is safe.

57 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What you don’t like our first round  drafting of 5 interior Defensive lineman in the last 9 drafts😚

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You clearly pick and choose what you read. Bc I’ve repeatedly said that I don’t question Qs talent. Never once have said he’s not a great player. And it appears we have a different meaning of the word “dog” that Adams wants. I take that as a guy making big plays. For example Leo isn’t a dog imo. He’s a good player. But not making big plays. And that’s imo what we are getting in Q. A very talented player. But won’t be making big plays getting double digit sacks consistently, etc.

To go a step further. We pretty much gone “your” BPA style for a long time now and we have been perennial losers that’s way. I don’t disagree with going BPA. But when there’s a player at a need ranked very very close you ignore that strategy. No one can convince me Q is better for this team than a guy like Allen. Won’t happen. So it’s pointless to go around in circles about it.

I understand exactly what you read. You basically said that Quinnen is "just a guy who occupies blockers". That's a joke.

Again, you say it's "my" way. It's not; it's the universal way. 

You can define "dog" however you want to, but if that's how you define it I don't think you've played on many sports teams. Again, universally accepted as "one tough SOB of a player" so to speak. 

The reason BPA "hasn't worked" has far less to do with drafting defensive lineman. It has been much bigger than that. The Jets from a cultural prospective were abysmal, and their overall drafting was not great because of various disconnects between the front office and the coaching staff. Furthermore, one of the reasons why our drafting hasn't been great? We shift to need-based drafting after the first round. More times than not, teams fail that way. Finally, we also were a team without a solution to the most important position: QB. Our line was fine in the past. In fact, it was great. The Jets missed opportunities. They became complacent and stubborn with what we had at EDGE, when if we got someone - not a stud, just someone - with speed and can occasionally win one-on-ones, those teams would've fared much better. 

What the Jets have to do from here is be aggressive. I believe they have tried to as it pertains to acquiring an EDGE rusher, and I expect them to continue barking up that tree until they find one. No one is going to convince you that Q isn't better for this team than Allen, and that's fine. But I don't understand how someone can fault the Jets selecting Williams instead. 

• Like 3

Without doubt the general opinion on all the talk shows/tv shows and forums is that Q-Will is a stud. No doubt about it.

The problem is he’s a stud in a position that isn’t classed as ‘premuim’ and we also have two very good guys already (plus a 3rd rounder from last year) who play that position. 

We have to be excited to land a blue chip player and if we do (eventually) get an edge rusher or dare I say it two edge rushers (shock,horror) then Q-Will could be an integral player for the next ten years. 

I would of gone with Allen or traded our 3rd rounder (#105) to SF and got Bosa as apparently they graded Bosa and Q-Will the same. But it’s Macc who has his *** on the hot seat so we will soon see how it all unfolds. 

Ps...Getting Sam Darnold last year saved him from being fired IMO along with Bowles so he has a short leash I’d imagine. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Totally agree that a COMPLETE DL is disruptive. Interior pressure is just as valuable as edge pressure. My issue is that we already have 2-3 guys disrupting in the interior, it’s that we have no one on the outside to take away double teams from the interior or to even threat a OT or TE. And Q doesn’t change that. That’s my issue. It’s in essence just drafting a young way more talented Anderson. Still leaving no threat on the ends. So teams can just worry about Leo and Q and there QB is safe.

You're not wrong and that's part of the issue I have with this pick, but if this dude turns out to be a 10+ sack guy, it's still a home run pick. So I'm 100% wait and see on this pick. I personally wanted Josh Allen & a true NT. Those 2 positions are the reason why our 34 hasn't worked in a while. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

I understand exactly what you read. You basically said that Quinnen is "just a guy who occupies blockers". That's a joke.

Again, you say it's "my" way. It's not; it's the universal way. 

You can define "dog" however you want to, but if that's how you define it I don't think you've played on many sports teams. Again, universally accepted as "one tough SOB of a player" so to speak. 

The reason BPA "hasn't worked" has far less to do with drafting defensive lineman. It has been much bigger than that. The Jets from a cultural prospective were abysmal, and their overall drafting was not great because of various disconnects between the front office and the coaching staff. Furthermore, one of the reasons why our drafting hasn't been great? We shift to need-based drafting after the first round. More times than not, teams fail that way. Finally, we also were a team without a solution to the most important position: QB. Our line was fine in the past. In fact, it was great. The Jets missed opportunities. They became complacent and stubborn with what we had at EDGE, when if we got someone - not a stud, just someone - with speed and can occasionally win one-on-ones, those teams would've fared much better. 

What the Jets have to do from here is be aggressive. I believe they have tried to as it pertains to acquiring an EDGE rusher, and I expect them to continue barking up that tree until they find one. No one is going to convince you that Q isn't better for this team than Allen, and that's fine. But I don't understand how someone can fault the Jets selecting Williams instead. 

I think you just in general rate DLineman higher than most of us. I’ll state again that Q is a great player. Leo was a great player and was more than just a guy that occupies OLineman at USC, but he’s really became a space era after that disrupts things rather than make plays. And I see the same thing with Q. Great player but he’s going to have an impact like Leo. Which IMO isn’t 3rd pick in the draft worthy when you have Leo and Anderson already. Allen would have by no means been a reach at 3. That’s over and done with so no sense in what could have happened. But I expect to see just a slightly better version of a DL than we did last year with this. Which still isn’t good. And that’s bc there’s no edge presence at all. We trade for a guy... then I’ll like the pick. But as it stands now... I’m not pro it.

And just an FYI I played 4 years of D1 baseball and played for arguably the best high school football school in the US in high school. So yes I do understand sports and team probably more than any of you.

You guys do know that this draft is based of Lineman both O and D. They said that several times during the draft. The only real edge guy i wanted was Bosa. I was really hoping his social media would make the 49ers pass on him. I don't think Allen or Oliver are really that special. I do think Williams is that special. I think the only 2 elite guys are Williams and Bosa and the rest is good but not elite. I think this draft class is pretty weak overall and I don't see the point in giving draft stock to move into the 2nd round. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think you just in general rate DLineman higher than most of us. I’ll state again that Q is a great player. Leo was a great player and was more than just a guy that occupies OLineman at USC, but he’s really became a space era after that disrupts things rather than make plays. And I see the same thing with Q. Great player but he’s going to have an impact like Leo. Which IMO isn’t 3rd pick in the draft worthy when you have Leo and Anderson already. Allen would have by no means been a reach at 3. That’s over and done with so no sense in what could have happened. But I expect to see just a slightly better version of a DL than we did last year with this. Which still isn’t good. And that’s bc there’s no edge presence at all. We trade for a guy... then I’ll like the pick. But as it stands now... I’m not pro it.

And just an FYI I played 4 years of D1 baseball and played for arguably the best high school football school in the US in high school. So yes I do understand sports and team probably more than any of you.

I played pro soccer in the UK Bobby so take that comment back IMMEDIATELY!!  🤓😎

• Like 1