QB Daniel Jones selected by Giants @ 1.6

Acgott

1 hour ago, bzane said:

Hmmmmmm- I wonder if some of us area forgetting Davis Webb, and Kyle Lauletta? Couple of pretty exciting young pros there!

Image result for Davis WebbImage result for kyle lauletta

Laulettas career was derailed by the police. Not his fault. They were Jet fans tbh 

On 4/27/2019 at 6:53 AM, UtahUtesFan said:

I want to defend Giants fans here, but it looks awful picking Jones at 6 while Haskins drops to 15. Hopefully he's a good QB that just played on a historically mediocre football school. 

Well the fact that Haskins dropped past Denver and Miami, two teams that needed quarterbacks, is actually telling. Gettleman and NYG beat writers believe that Denver and Washington both wanted Daniel Jones, so he wasn’t lasting to #17. 

Yes Duke is a historically mediocre football school. Jones’ receivers dropped 36 passes last year, and his offensive line was a turnstile. Imagine if Jones played at Ohio State, and Haskins played at Duke... Imagine if Jones was on a team with a cast of future NFL players, like Haskins was. His college career numbers would certainly look a lot better, and I’d bet nobody would be outraged. I’d also bet he wouldn’t be available at #6. 

Despite the outrage, there are plenty of NFL personnel, analysts and scouts that are enamored with Jones. He has size, athleticism, intelligence, toughness, character, good mechanics. There’s a lot to love about the kid. He worked hard to get selected #6, so the fan and media reaction to this selection is downright embarrassing. I hope he tears it up in this league, not because I’m a Giants fan, but  just so he can shove it down everyone’s throats. Unfortunately, like Eli, he seems like a class act.

34 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Well the fact that Haskins dropped past Denver and Miami, two teams that needed quarterbacks, is actually telling. Gettleman and NYG beat writers believe that Denver and Washington both wanted Daniel Jones, so he wasn’t lasting to #17. 

Yes Duke is a historically mediocre football school. Jones’ receivers dropped 36 passes last year, and his offensive line was a turnstile. Imagine if Jones played at Ohio State, and Haskins played at Duke... Imagine if Jones was on a team with a cast of future NFL players, like Haskins was. His college career numbers would certainly look a lot better, and I’d bet nobody would be outraged. I’d also bet he wouldn’t be available at #6. 

Despite the outrage, there are plenty of NFL personnel, analysts and scouts that are enamored with Jones. He has size, athleticism, intelligence, toughness, character, good mechanics. There’s a lot to love about the kid. He worked hard to get selected #6, so the fan and media reaction to this selection is downright embarrassing. I hope he tears it up in this league, not because I’m a Giants fan, but  just so he can shove it down everyone’s throats. Unfortunately, like Eli, he seems like a class act.

First off, I agree that they couldn’t risk passing on  “their guy” at 6 just so they could get him at 17. That’s the only thing I agree with you on.

Duke is a mediocre football school playing in a mediocre conference. This perception that Duke was some outmatched school is nonsense. The ACC is full of mediocre teams. Yes his receivers dropped a lot of balls and his line wasn’t the best yet with that he still isn’t worth the 6th pick. There’s nothing that stands out about him. Haskins had the exact same talent that JT Barrett had, didn’t have a out and out running game and broke records. Ohio State have had more talented skill position players before Haskins and he still broke records and not to mention he was doing this in the toughest conference in CFB. If you were two resumes of these two QBs there is no way in my mind that Haskins goes 6. Instead Jones would be considered a #1 pick.

Where are these plenty of nfl personnel, scouts and analysts that are enamoured with Jones? Because I haven’t seen any. 

• Like 1

Kip, you can’t just look at the resumes.  There have been tons of college quarterbacks with tremendous numbers at big school that amount to nothing in the NFL. You can’t compare Haskins’ body of work to Jones’ because they were in completely different situations. If you look at the two players in a vacuum, you take Jones. 

Gil Brandt, Greg Cosell are two well respected analysts that like Jones. The Patriots and Broncos were rumored to really like him, so Belichick and Elway. David Carr said he threw the ball better at his pro day than anyone he’s seen in the past 10 years. He didn’t get drafted #6 overall by accident. The perception of him in the league was higher than in the media. But because it was unexpected, I guess it’s a bad pick? 

4 hours ago, Gmen said:

Kip, you can’t just look at the resumes.  There have been tons of college quarterbacks with tremendous numbers at big school that amount to nothing in the NFL. You can’t compare Haskins’ body of work to Jones’ because they were in completely different situations. If you look at the two players in a vacuum, you take Jones. 

Gil Brandt, Greg Cosell are two well respected analysts that like Jones. The Patriots and Broncos were rumored to really like him, so Belichick and Elway. David Carr said he threw the ball better at his pro day than anyone he’s seen in the past 10 years. He didn’t get drafted #6 overall by accident. The perception of him in the league was higher than in the media. But because it was unexpected, I guess it’s a bad pick? 

I’m not just looking at their resumes. Not at all. It’s not just about the numbers. But if you’re a QB prospect and nothing about your game really stands out at the very least have numbers in college where it’s pretty easy to put up numbers in college tbh. If you look at the two players in a vacuum I don’t take Jones, I take Haskins. Haskins has all the physical tools and is a student of the game despite only being a one year starter. Carried Ohio state. He’s a one year starter and he broke all records. Imagine if he were a 3 year starter? Dude got better and better the more he played and it amounted to him being arguably the best passer in the nation. Greg Cosell likes Jones but he never had him ranked better than Haskins. As for Gil Brandt, he’s a dinosaur. His thinking is as old school as it gets.

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’m not just looking at their resumes. Not at all. It’s not just about the numbers. But if you’re a QB prospect and nothing about your game really stands out at the very least have numbers in college where it’s pretty easy to put up numbers in college tbh. If you look at the two players in a vacuum I don’t take Jones, I take Haskins. Haskins has all the physical tools and is a student of the game despite only being a one year starter. Carried Ohio state. He’s a one year starter and he broke all records. Imagine if he were a 3 year starter? Dude got better and better the more he played and it amounted to him being arguably the best passer in the nation. Greg Cosell likes Jones but he never had him ranked better than Haskins. As for Gil Brandt, he’s a dinosaur. His thinking is as old school as it gets.

I really wanted to like Haskins, and early in the draft process I did. But he showed up to the combine out of shape, and he’s a statue in the pocket, mechanics aren’t great. And he didn’t even have the best arm in the draft, Drew Lock did. I’ll sacrifice some arm talent for athleticism, brains, toughness. 

3 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I really wanted to like Haskins, and early in the draft process I did. But he showed up to the combine out of shape, and he’s a statue in the pocket, mechanics aren’t great. And he didn’t even have the best arm in the draft, Drew Lock did. I’ll sacrifice some arm talent for athleticism, brains, toughness. 

Haskins is tough and has the brains. Plus he athletic enough to manoeuvre within the pocket. Don’t care if he was out of shape at the combine. A one year starter and he showed a lot traits that it takes to be a very successful player in the NFL. Jones has look of a NFL QB but his skills don’t completely match up with that. 

Ill say one thing Dave Gettleman has banked his job on Jones. If Jones is a flop in his 1st season as a starter and i believe hell be the starter by default in the 2020 season.. DG is done and i think he will not be given a 3rd chance as GM of a team. I like Jones but not at pick 6 and DG has shown to us as fans hes a 2 face liar and very deceptive about things he says he wants to or will do. Anyhow, if Jones fails..so does DG. 

Edited by Giants4eva

13 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

The fact that nobody traded up to get Haskins is telling to me, doesn’t mean he won’t be good/great but with the Giants, Bengals, and Dolphins passing on him plus nobody else trading up could be a bad sign about him....Time will tell of course 

You gotta realise these teams are old school and they’re risk averse. To.them Jones is a safer prospect. 

It’s really intriguing to me the sell by your front office that Denver or Washington was going to take Jones at 10/15. And then I’ve read fans say that Denver traded down because he wasn’t there at 10... Denver wanted Hockenson at 10. When Hockenson wasn’t there they moved down. If you have to convince your fan base it’s pretty comical. You either realize you screwed them by past moves or you don’t even have confidence in the value you just took at 6, or both. I personally like Jones and think he has a chance at being good.