Jaguars draft Kentucky EDGE Josh Allen at #7

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

We didn’t screw up. I’m shocked.

tremendous value. Gotta imagine a D-Line if Ngakoue-Bryan-Calais-Allen on third downs.

goodnight

Haven't felt this good since Ramsey (or anytime prior to Ramsey truthfully) about a pick til now.

Dareus/Taven, think that'll be split tbh.

• Like 1

Didn't really expect him to be there, but this is a big "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" sort of scenario i think.

With Josh Allen, we get a Dante Fowler replacement who is better at rushing the passer as a rotational/situational DE.  Figure based on Fowler's usage, that's probably on the field ~half the time.  Maybe add a little further bump because he should be better, and Calais is also getting older.  So you're a bit over half the total defensive snaps already.  Then pad that with the potential to run Allen out there a decent amount at LBer since he actually has some freaky coverage ability for such a big powerful man...and you're pretty much getting "starter snap counts", probably even more than a lot of Interior DLine guys would see.

Plus, pretty much inherently gives us some more ~exotic~ looks just in having a guy with that versatility out there in different spots.

For the future...at worst, it should give us some insurance for Yan as a FA.  Hopefully though, it's just two studs coming off the edge for years to come.  Gives us some flexibility schematically for the future too...should they ever decide to move toward more of a 3-4 as well.  Plus, obviously Calais is getting older and isn't going to be around forever.

I really like this.  I'm excited.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I like that this shows a lot of his ability to hold an edge, get off blocks, and make solid tackles against the run too.  He's absolutely not some puny little "speed only", run the arc or bust guy.  He's got strength and some technique too...vs pass and the run.  Can probably trust him more at that DE spot against the run as a rookie, than Fowler ever got to here.