Jaguars draft Kentucky EDGE Josh Allen at #7

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Because the whole draft process you said we shouldn't take Allen because he'd just be a SAM and it'd be terrible positional value. Just because Wash hasn't don't much in the past doesn't mean they're not going to move Allen around and throw him in different situations and have fun with him.

He clearly is going to have a large role in this defense and going to be moved around. A 3rd down package of Yann-Dareus/Bryan-Campbell-Allen is going to be filthy.

I love Oliver but doubling up after Bryan who flashed at 3T wasn't resulting in a better outcome.

Yeah.  I love Oliver too.  However, the reality is, even if we indulge and call "vacuum value" a wash between the two...if we're worried about "positional value" and getting a guy on the field...i think Allen stands a better chance of playing more snaps here.

You can't line 3 guys up at 3T.  It's literally and physically impossible.  We've already seen that they like to kick Calais inside on rush down and distance.  For good reason imo.  Early down, you're not getting an Oliver/Taven interior duo much as it'd be a big run liability.  You're not just going to let your year old 1st round pick rot and not play, and they like to rotate IDL pretty heavily in this scheme anyway, also for good reason.  They're still gonna wanna kick Calais inside on long downs too, which just eats into the available snaps as a 3-way rotation.

Allen steps into a role that has essentially a floor of playing half of all the defensive snaps if he doesn't play a single snap outside of DE.  Everything else he can do on top of that should be gravy.  Pretty confident he'll play more than that.

I mean, if Allen weren't there and they'd taken Oliver, i'd be happy with with it.  He's a great prospect.  If that's what's there, you take it and figure out how to feed everyone snaps later.  But in this case...we got at least an equally talented player at a position and skillset that should make it easier to let everyone eat their fill.  While also providing interesting future flexibility.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

lol @ questioning if we will have Josh Allen drop back in coverage on zone blitzes when we have ran zone blitzes where a DT has dropped back into coverage

Yeah.  I don't really understand:

1)why Zone blitzes are the only ~exotic~ form of defense.

or

2)why it's understood that these are prohibidato in a Wash defense, because they're definitely not.

I think one of the most exciting things with a guy like Allen, is that our personnel could legitimately let him open up more than just a gap hybrid, but a full mixed front where it wouldn't be a big stretch to throw "vanilla" 3-4 looks at opponents on the fly, with the same personnel package ran out there.  Which isn't necessarily exotic in isolation...but even a "base" 3-4 look crumpled into a 4-3 hybrid defense is ~exotic~ as heck imo.  That's a big wrinkle to throw out there.  We've got the pieces in place to potentially see it.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I just want to thank Kyler Murray for putting on a show well enough to go number 1. I want to thank the Raiders for reaching on Ferrell, and I want to give a even greater thank you to Gettleman. He's such a great guy he's a saint he gives to less fortunate like Jones by giving him an undeserving opportunity to allow us to draft a stud.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

This kid is special and thing is he still hasn't scratched the surface on his potential if he stays healthy and this kid works his tail off which i'm sure he will by all accounts he's a hard worker this kid could be Derrick Thomas.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

The Raiders, Bucs, and Giants...

tenor.gif?itemid=8086783

Pretty much just this. I don't think I've been as excited about a pick as much as Allen since Ramsey and before that probably Blackmon(RIP)...

Only concern when I heard it was Yann getting paid. But after some thinking I think they can both work on the team. It'll be interesting going forward if Bryan can develop this year. Now if we can go into Day 2 and grab some sort of offensive talent here. Hopefully a lineman and TE.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skaterbirdhouse said:

Pretty much just this. I don't think I've been as excited about a pick as much as Allen since Ramsey and before that probably Blackmon(RIP)...

Only concern when I heard it was Yann getting paid. But after some thinking I think they can both work on the team. It'll be interesting going forward if Bryan can develop this year. Now if we can go into Day 2 and grab some sort of offensive talent here. Hopefully a lineman and TE.

I really, really don't think the Allen pick has anything to do with the Yann contract situation.

We'll pay him.

You need multiple edge rushers and Allen have a chance to be an elite force off the edge and is surprisingly solid in coverage AND in the run game.

That piece from White was a great read. Got me even more excited than I already (obviously) was.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I really, really don't think the Allen pick has anything to do with the Yann contract situation.

We'll pay him.

You need multiple edge rushers and Allen have a chance to be an elite force off the edge and is surprisingly solid in coverage AND in the run game.

That piece from White was a great read. Got me even more excited than I already (obviously) was.

Yeah if anything this gives us a chance at a denver-like defense when they had Miller and Ware.

Yann is great but Allen can be more of an instant "win" the LOS with his burst. If he can be that Miller-lite, the rest of tgat line will feast.

2 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Yeah if anything this gives us a chance at a denver-like defense when they had Miller and Ware.

Yann is great but Allen can be more of an instant "win" the LOS with his burst. If he can be that Miller-lite, the rest of tgat line will feast.

The thing about Allen is his all around ability. Like White said, normally when you put him in coverage you'd think that'd be a wasted possibility of him getting after the passer, but he's so good in coverage too.

I'm excited to see what this guy can do. Definitely an immediate contributer.

• Like 1