Jaguars draft Kentucky EDGE Josh Allen at #7

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I wish I could have seen him play legit teams this year. He didnt do much vs UGA but was ecstatic we got him

I mean...he played in the SEC.  It's not like he just piled up stats entirely against chumps and nobodies.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Didn't really expect him to be there, but this is a big "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" sort of scenario i think.

With Josh Allen, we get a Dante Fowler replacement who is better at rushing the passer as a rotational/situational DE.  Figure based on Fowler's usage, that's probably on the field ~half the time.  Maybe add a little further bump because he should be better, and Calais is also getting older.  So you're a bit over half the total defensive snaps already.  Then pad that with the potential to run Allen out there a decent amount at LBer since he actually has some freaky coverage ability for such a big powerful man...and you're pretty much getting "starter snap counts", probably even more than a lot of Interior DLine guys would see.

Plus, pretty much inherently gives us some more ~exotic~ looks just in having a guy with that versatility out there in different spots.

For the future...at worst, it should give us some insurance for Yan as a FA.  Hopefully though, it's just two studs coming off the edge for years to come.  Gives us some flexibility schematically for the future too...should they ever decide to move toward more of a 3-4 as well.  Plus, obviously Calais is getting older and isn't going to be around forever.

I really like this.  I'm excited.

the word Exotic and this defense will never go together as long as Wash is calling the shots. 

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

thats just like the cards saying Rosen is our QB.  

we all know how that endedxD

this defense will not be exotic till wash is removed

So what is Allen gonna do? Not play til 3rd down?

Just now, LinderFournette said:

i expect some snaps at Sam and DE but theres no exotic defense calls like zone blitzs with like allen dropping back into coverage and such. 

You don't think Allen will drop in coverage?

Interesting...

Just now, MightyRx said:

Dom Capers is a consultant. Allen will be moved around. I have no worries about that.

Agreed.

He'll be used heavily. They literally said wasn't much of a need but we couldn't pass on the talent. They're going to get him heavily involved, and for good reason.