Who Impressed You This Week (Week 1 9/2/2017)

alfalcone

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Couldn't believe how hard John Kelly was running last night. Hopefully he uses this season to play himself into the draft. He's a junior that doesn't have many miles on him. Be interested to see what he can do without Hurd and Kamara in front of him.

Watching him and Mike Weber duel it out on the same field was a heluva sight. Also I don't know if anyone has said, but GT OL was very impressive.

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

Eh, his speed looks about the same on the field to me. I also don't think Barkley is as fast as the spring 40 times say. Hand times from colleges aren't reliable.

Let me get this straight, you are comparing a player on Wisconsin, Taylor who played a crap defense in his first game to Saquon Barkley?  One of the most physically elite running back prospects in college football over the past what 20 years.  Guy was a freak show from the word go and physically is about as superior to other running backs as you can get, and Taylor is the second coming of him and faster?  Um, no.

Athletically the only guy who comes close to Barkley in terms of strength and speed maybe is Adrian Peterson, but I bet Barkley has more powerful legs and arguably is a more complete player especially as a pass catcher to Peterson.  Oh and a running back on Wisconsin being successful is not exactly something out of the ordinary or rare, he has to do a little more than just run well against Utah State.  

It is one of two things, either you crazy underrated Saquon Barkley, or you crazy over rate Jonathan Taylor...  actually probably a little of both.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Let me get this straight, you are comparing a player on Wisconsin, Taylor who played a crap defense in his first game to Saquon Barkley?  One of the most physically elite running back prospects in college football over the past what 20 years.  Guy was a freak show from the word go and physically is about as superior to other running backs as you can get, and Taylor is the second coming of him and faster?  Um, no.

Athletically the only guy who comes close to Barkley in terms of strength and speed maybe is Adrian Peterson, but I bet Barkley has more powerful legs and arguably is a more complete player especially as a pass catcher to Peterson.  Oh and a running back on Wisconsin being successful is not exactly something out of the ordinary or rare, he has to do a little more than just run well against Utah State.  

It is one of two things, either you crazy underrated Saquon Barkley, or you crazy over rate Jonathan Taylor...  actually probably a little of both.

I didn't say Taylor is faster. I do think he compares to Saquon Barkley (and I actually used that comparison before he played a snap for Wisconsin). My opinion of Jonathan Taylor isn't based on one game against a bad defense, instead it's based on how he runs and the quality with which he runs. Considering I rate Barkley in a tier on my draft board that is typically only reserved for a small group of players each year (think of it as a top-5 grade), I'm not underrating him. I do think you're overrating Saquon Barkley if you think only one person comes close to him athletically. Comparing Taylor to Barkley is fair considering their skill sets are very similar and also when you consider that Barkley was nearly identical to Taylor when he was a recruit. Taylor does need to get a little bigger (10-15lbs) and continue to improve in the weight room to make the comparison work, but I'm not expecting a freshman to have the same size and weight room progress as a junior. Give him time, he should be able to catch up.

Perhaps you should give Jonathan Taylor a chance before you write him off. He's off to a good start, just the same as Saquon Barkley.

Also, if anyone cares...

Jonathan Taylor ran a 4.42 electronically timed 40 (recorded by Nike at a Nike camp). He also ran a 10.61 100 meter in high school. Barkley was hand timed by Penn State coaches at 4.33 in the offseason before his junior year. Barkley ran a 10.74 100 meter his freshman year at Penn State.

...also, Taylor was 5'11" 208 at the Nike combine. Barkley was 5'11" 208 when he was a freshman at Penn State.

7 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I didn't say Taylor is faster. I do think he compares to Saquon Barkley (and I actually used that comparison before he played a snap for Wisconsin). My opinion of Jonathan Taylor isn't based on one game against a bad defense, instead it's based on how he runs and the quality with which he runs. Considering I rate Barkley in a tier on my draft board that is typically only reserved for a small group of players each year (think of it as a top-5 grade), I'm not underrating him. I do think you're overrating Saquon Barkley if you think only one person comes close to him athletically. Comparing Taylor to Barkley is fair considering their skill sets are very similar and also when you consider that Barkley was nearly identical to Taylor when he was a recruit. Taylor does need to get a little bigger (10-15lbs) and continue to improve in the weight room to make the comparison work, but I'm not expecting a freshman to have the same size and weight room progress as a junior. Give him time, he should be able to catch up.

Perhaps you should give Jonathan Taylor a chance before you write him off. He's off to a good start, just the same as Saquon Barkley.

Yeah, Ozzy isn't going to give any Badger a chance. Why? Well, just check the old forum for reasons... xD

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Why exactly does this part matter? Why can't you just say "so you're comparing a freshman with 9 career carries to a potential Heisman frontrunner?" or something of the sort? Why does the school matter?

I mean, we all know why, but I want to hear you explain it.

8 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Yeah, Ozzy isn't going to give any Badger a chance. Why? Well, just check the old forum for reasons... xD

I am quite sure I projected TJ Watt as a potential 1st round pick before any others did last season.  

15 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Who said I was writing him off?  I am saying he is not instantly as good as one of the best running back prospects in the last freaking 20 years after one game.  

Adrian Peterson is the only player I can think of in the last 20 years that comes close to Barkley.  Is it Ricky Williams, Reggie Bush, Ezekiel Elliott, Darren McFadden, Todd Gurley, LaDainian Tomlinson, Steven Jackson, Deuce McAllister, Trent Richardson, Rashad Mendenhall, Marshawn Lynch, Thomas Jones , Edgerrin James, Shaun Alexander, LeShean McCoy, Willis McGahee, or Derrick Henry.  Personally I think no, some come close but Barkley seems rock solid in a ton of areas on and off the football field.  Peterson is the only one of late athletically that comes to mind and that is quite impressive and great company.  

Now this Taylor kid is going to be better or just as good as Barkley who is that special of an athlete?  Will see but after one game, I doubt it.  I like to project young talent more than anyone probably around here, but rarely do I do that and compare a young prospect to the current top player at the position for the last decade plus.  Oh but Barkley will not be a top 3 pick in the draft, yeah right, oh and he is not better than Fournette who was a top five pick, yeah right.  Sure maybe I overrated Barkley, but I really doubt it after this season and the potential success he will have.  As great as he looked week one compared to years previous, kid is going to blow people up and do it easily.  

On 9/8/2017 at 0:57 AM, bkobow05 said:

Little late to this, obviously, but Jonathan Taylor of Wisconsin looked exceptional in his limited touches Friday night vs Utah State. True freshman and already looks like our best RB.

I agree. I'm not a huge Shaw guy, but Taylor is making the future look bright at the RB position.

EDIT: That Jonathan Taylor guy fumbles too often. :)

EDIT2: Here's an excellent article on Jonathan Taylor: https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/jonathan-taylor-wisconsin-bio-stats

Apparently, teammates were calling him "Beast Mode" in camp. It sounds like what he is doing on the field is what he has been doing throughout camp. He is also apparently the fastest high schooler in New Jersey, being a two-time state champion in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.64 seconds. His speed/power combination shows up on the field, and is what makes him special.

EDIT3: Taylor just showed he has a pretty good stiff arm, and a ridiculous jump cut.

Archived