Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I'm not wasting my time reading all this. I read the first line of you saying you said nothing about his toughness. You said he was scared last year. Done. Ttyl.

If you believe that to have toughness, courage, bravery means you are never scared then I will happily not talk to you on this subject anymore.  To have no fear and play a game like football is stupidity.  Never said he was a coward.  He has good reason to be scared if his protection does not improve.

24 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If you believe that to have toughness, courage, bravery means you are never scared then I will happily not talk to you on this subject anymore.  To have no fear and play a game like football is stupidity.  Never said he was a coward.  He has good reason to be scared if his protection does not improve.

I'm just saying that I would replace fear with a different word.  I don't think he was scared to play, I think he understood that his OL was going to get him killed.  I would say he played smart, or with awareness.  I wouldn't say fear.  He knew what the team was, and he did what he could with it.  No one could have taken last year's team to the playoffs.  I'm sure he's been afraid, I just think some people on this forum assume he goes into every game with a diaper and binky.  I would have been afraid too when he broke some bones in his back, or the lower leg injury, or the broken pinky.  But I've seen him stare down WRs, knowing he's about to get blown up, just to deliver a perfect pass.  I'm not saying its you, but others have said he isn't capable of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm just saying that I would replace fear with a different word.  I don't think he was scared to play, I think he understood that his OL was going to get him killed.  I would say he played smart, or with awareness.  I wouldn't say fear.  He knew what the team was, and he did what he could with it.  No one could have taken last year's team to the playoffs.  I'm sure he's been afraid, I just think some people on this forum assume he goes into every game with a diaper and binky.  I would have been afraid too when he broke some bones in his back, or the lower leg injury, or the broken pinky.  But I've seen him stare down WRs, knowing he's about to get blown up, just to deliver a perfect pass.  I'm not saying its you, but others have said he isn't capable of it.

Again, the guy has grit.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I am re-watching all the games and in at least the three first games we do not look horrible and neither does Carr.  He makes some stupid decisions and plays a little to catious but could have a lot to do with the new system.  Still have a lot of games to watch but there are some things he does that make me scratch my head.  I will post more after I am done.  One observation I have made is that we could have been 4-0 and should have been 3-1.  I am still trying to figure out how we had a -3 turnover ratio vs the Rams when Goff himself almost had 4-5 turnovers.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am re-watching all the games and in at least the three first games we do not look horrible and neither does Carr.  He makes some stupid decisions and plays a little to catious but could have a lot to do with the new system.  Still have a lot of games to watch but there are some things he does that make me scratch my head.  I will post more after I am done.  One observation I have made is that we could have been 4-0 and should have been 3-1.  I am still trying to figure out how we had a -3 turnover ratio vs the Rams when Goff himself almost had 4-5 turnovers.

I definitely believe his first real game in the new system played a huge part. He knew what to do the first drive. After that it all fell apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I now I have been very negative about this off-season but one thing I have felt very good about is Mike Mayock.  Just watched a video of the telephone call between Mayock and Ferrell on draft day.  In the video Mayock tells Ferrell there is one obligation he has with this pick and that is leadership.  Some of you may not understand the importance of that statement.  Mayock I believe is a student of Dale Carnegie.  One of his principals is to give people a title to live up to.  It will stick to you and you will manifest that reality into a persons life.  This is the first time i have seen this interaction and it speaks volumes to how skilled Mayock is with dealing with people and why he will be successful. Anyone not familiar with what I am saying should read How to Gain Friends and Influence People.  It is a life changer.  I would bet Mayock is familiar with the book.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Now I now I have been very negative about this off-season but one thing I have felt very good about is Mike Mayock.  Just watched a video of the telephone call between Mayock and Ferrell on draft day.  In the video Mayock tells Ferrell there is one obligation he has with this pick and that is leadership.  Some of you may not understand the importance of that statement.  Mayock I believe is a student of Dale Carnegie.  One of his principals is to give people a title to live up to.  It will stick to you and you will manifest that reality into a persons life.  This is the first time i have seen this interaction and it speaks volumes to how skilled Mayock is with dealing with people and why he will be successful. Anyone not familiar with what I am saying should read How to Gain Friends and Influence People.  It is a life changer.  I would bet Mayock is familiar with the book.

Mayock is my 'hope' to Chucky's weaknesses. GREAT book and right next to my favorites by Hill, Bristol. I might seem 'negative' here but it's not how I live my life. Just 'displeased' with how things were handled and no need to 'sugar coat'  to 'fit in.'  

For decades I always 'bought in' but last season changed me. I'm MUCH more critical than in the past with teams that I knew were really bad.

I wanted Allen but Ferrell is a solid pick, especially after the season ended before the combine. I think he would have slipped in the draft for not running the 40 at the combine, but with no good trade down offers you get the guy who checks all the boxes. Ferrell checks all the boxes and fills a huge need.  Also it was Mayock's first draft as a GM and boom/bust isn't as important when you're trying to put your mark on the brand. Sweat at 24 would have had me more pleased but Jacob's also was a need and if they were talking about trading up to get him, then I'm glad we waited and took him at 24. I still see pass rush as a major need, but hope the young guys develop fast and make management look brilliant. DT is solid and DE's just need to flash and give all our DB's some chances at turnovers. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Too bad it's not working for you here.:o:D:P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm opening pandora's box here but we really need to get more out of Ferrell imo. Yes it's only been 4 games, yes let's bring up the fact Mack only had X amount of sacks his rookie season, etc, etc. Bottom line Ferrell has not been producing enough.

Still early but He looks like a run of the mill LE. If I’m not mistaken we didn’t have a full athletic profile on him because he got hurt right ?

25 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Still early but He looks like a run of the mill LE. If I’m not mistaken we didn’t have a full athletic profile on him because he got hurt right ?

He didn't run the 40.  There were concerns about his speed. He didn't do the vert or broad jumps either.  His 3 cone wasn't top 10 for edge rushers this draft class either.  His 20 yard shuttle sucked too.  He was #4 in the 60 yard shuttle though.  It was really his burst that was the concern.  That's what I recall reading/hearing.

The thing that I keep seeing is that he seems to struggle to disengage. Once the tackle locks him in, he doesn't have a counter. I've seen him forceably jolt the tackle back a couple of times when he hits them first, but he doesn't yet have the core strength to convert it to a consistent bull rush so doesn't even really have a primary pass rush move he can rely on yet either.

He certainly has smarts, knowing when to check on screens and he has a good discipline in setting the edge, but that won't be enough if he doesn't at least find a way of offering some kind of threat to the QB. 

I was reading that most of his game was based on power and technique, rather than speed. He was able to rag doll opponents in college but can’t do that anymore. With another offseason of training, he should be better. If we are going to insist on sliding him inside on passing downs, we may want him to play at 275-280 anyway.