Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Finally found Ferrell comp: Jihad Ward 2.0 

two huge Tarzan looking guys, but play like Jane. Both filled fans with high hopes, but we’re Jags 

Man. you have a good list of dumbest things ever. But that MIGHT just top it. HAHAHAHAHAHA Jihad Ward, Mayock said of Jihad Ward. "He is a better story, then he is football player." Wow my mind is blown off that one.  

If we are going to compare him to a Raider, it wasn't one we drafted. It was one we signed. Justin Tuck is Ferrel's closest Pro Comp

Edited by OG_C2X
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

Man. you have a good list of dumbest things ever. But that MIGHT just top it. HAHAHAHAHAHA Jihad Ward, Mayock said of Jihad Ward. "He is a better story, then he is football player." Wow my mind is blown off that one.  

If we are going to compare him to a Raider, it wasn't one we drafted. It was one we signed. Justin Tuck is Ferrel's closest Pro Comp

Carlos Dunlap imo

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

two huge Tarzan looking guys, but play like Jane. Both filled fans with high hopes, but we’re Jags 

Finally found a Humble Beast comp: EA21 2.0

Post like Jane, and Jag would be well above his status.

• Like 8

Can anyone tell me why the run defense is markedly better than last year? From what I can tell, the only substantive change in the run defenders (front 7) is Ferrell. Other potential run defending changes are guys who are now gone - Abram, Burfict.. The scheme is the same, and the starters on the DL are basically the same. Switching Key for a Crosby/Key combo. Ferrell is the only major shift here.

Now I get that we all can tell he's not going to be a pass rushing demon. Maybe functional, possibly good, never Mack. 

It's a widely overblown idea that you can just draft good run defenders in later rounds because they are one dimensional. Maybe, yeah. But just because you draft a one dimensional guy in the 4th, it does not mean that he is even going to be spectacular at that dimension in the NFL. He might just end up being good at it. And being good at something in the NFL literally means 8-8, 16th ranked, middle of the pack. To draft anyone to play any role and be MARKEDLY better than the player they are replacing, is very difficult and the entire challenge. See Jacobs as an example of that, and how that can positively affect your team. Barring any other reason anyone can think of, Ferrell is doing that for our run defense and the physicality of our defensive line.

Last year Hurst, Hall, Hankins were all here. Our run D was trash. Even with Mack our run defense was mostly trash. Has it occurred to anyone Ferrell is actually unselfish in his play, smart, and very effective at not only run defending but elevating the players around him as well. One small negative on Mack, he didn't elevate the play of anyone. An amazing player, but still on a terrible D. He shines with great talent around him. By all appearances, Ferrell is making the players around him much better and losing personal stats over it.

Edited by holyghost

18 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Just when we think you've couldn't top the dumbest things you say. You find away... thanks for being a consistently joke around here. 

12 hours ago, Gannon12 said:

I know it will take him some time to adjust to the NFL. So I will wait. I like the Dunlap, Tuck comparisons. He will get better just not fast enough for the Twitter lynch mob “what have you done for me lately” crowd

Exactly. Dude is 22 and adjusting to the size and speed of the game. If he's struggling next year, then start talking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, true2form said:

I guess I'd throw this question at those being hard on him. Is Q a bust and not worth a top 4 pick?

I haven't seen him play so I couldn't tell you.

The problem with Ferrell does not only has he been ineffective, but he's also been bad. He's not a top 5 defensive lineman on this roster right now just based on his play. Also I don't think most posters being hard on him are saying he's a bust--we won't know that until at least the end of next season. 

3 hours ago, holyghost said:

Can anyone tell me why the run defense is markedly better than last year? From what I can tell, the only substantive change in the run defenders (front 7) is Ferrell. Other potential run defending changes are guys who are now gone - Abram, Burfict.. The scheme is the same, and the starters on the DL are basically the same. Switching Key for a Crosby/Key combo. Ferrell is the only major shift here.

Now I get that we all can tell he's not going to be a pass rushing demon. Maybe functional, possibly good, never Mack. 

It's a widely overblown idea that you can just draft good run defenders in later rounds because they are one dimensional. Maybe, yeah. But just because you draft a one dimensional guy in the 4th, it does not mean that he is even going to be spectacular at that dimension in the NFL. He might just end up being good at it. And being good at something in the NFL literally means 8-8, 16th ranked, middle of the pack. To draft anyone to play any role and be MARKEDLY better than the player they are replacing, is very difficult and the entire challenge. See Jacobs as an example of that, and how that can positively affect your team. Barring any other reason anyone can think of, Ferrell is doing that for our run defense and the physicality of our defensive line.

Last year Hurst, Hall, Hankins were all here. Our run D was trash. Even with Mack our run defense was mostly trash. Has it occurred to anyone Ferrell is actually unselfish in his play, smart, and very effective at not only run defending but elevating the players around him as well. One small negative on Mack, he didn't elevate the play of anyone. An amazing player, but still on a terrible D. He shines with great talent around him. By all appearances, Ferrell is making the players around him much better and losing personal stats over it.

I said this from the very beginning that our defense was so bad that we had to focus on just one aspect  this year and build out from there.  They decided to focus on run defense.  Ferrell and Mauro play a big part in that and also focusing on gap discipline is key.  I think some of the stuff you touched on is why they choose Ferrell over Allen.  Also why we grabbed Burfict. Another major part of our success on defense is the offense is sustaining drives and letting the D rest.  As a whole we have a better understanding of the schemes, which helps to play when you do not have to think, and we have become a better team with more talent.  It is a smart way to build and keeps our trajectory moving in a positive direction.

2 hours ago, true2form said:

I guess I'd throw this question at those being hard on him. Is Q a bust and not worth a top 4 pick?

Not a bust but not worth the #4.  The criticism Ferrell gets should not be directed at him but towards the decision makers that choose to select him at #4.  He will be a good player but you want great at #4.