Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

His scouting report: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/clelin-ferrell?id=32194645-5255-8663-cd04-9e42913c7a38

Strengths
  • Prototypical frame with broad shoulders and long arms
  • Posted 36.5 tackles for loss and 21 sacks since 2017
  • Excellent snap reaction and is first off the ball
  • Slippery and gets skinny into gaps to disrupt
  • Plays behind his long arms
  • Traits to punch and control blocker's frame in setting edge
  • Plays with toughness and unloads shoulder into leads and pulls
  • Skilled hands for quick wins and sheds
  • Projectable power rusher on next level
  • Talent to convert early leads in the pass rep into sacks
  • Long, flailing arms with violent hands
  • Targets tackle's inside or outside hand when attacking punch
  • Base to drive through redirect blocks and squeeze pocket
  • Low, smooth clockwise spin move has potential
  • Attentive in redirecting tight ends into routes
Weaknesses
  • Below-average fluidity and agility in movement
  • Unable to sustain early burst at the top of the rush
  • Hands and feet not always in unison
  • Inside moves and transitions can be mechanical and awkward
  • Average burst to close
  • Rush speed takes a big hit in the fourth quarter
  • Hands linger and lack suddenness
  • Struggles to gather weight and veer off path to tail pocket-climbers
  • Limited lateral quickness and change of direction in space
  • Could use better knee bend
  • Suspect anchor against angle blocks
  • Slow to unglue once tackles capture his frame
  • Marginal open-field tackling ability

Solid but unspectacular pick. Would have preferred a trade down if he is the target but value probably wasn't offered. I was all about Allen and if not him then White. So I'm disappointed to say the least but he should start and be solid by his 2nd/3rd year. Talking about 'character' just pisses me off even more about Mack and I'd rather have Mack all 3 of the guys we drafted today. This is a 6-10 team that is 5 years out from being a contender. 3 years of drafting like this and cutting the FA's we just overpaid and then we can talk playoffs.

Greedy, Murphy, Metcalf, Butler, Samuel,  AJ Brown, Risner any of those I'll be pleased with. Taylor, Ford ok, everything else is a reach. Trade down probable.

Good player but bad value.  At 4 we should be getting a pro bowl caliber face of the defense.  A good football player with a high ceiling.  The draft is always about value and we got it right once in 2014.  Sorry guys but I think both of his line mates are better.

40 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Good player but bad value.  At 4 we should be getting a pro bowl caliber face of the defense.  A good football player with a high ceiling.  The draft is always about value and we got it right once in 2014.  Sorry guys but I think both of his line mates are better.

Ferrell and Wilkins are close but Ferrell is better. And Lawrence isn’t in eithers level. 

This is a good pick. I guess its a bit of a reach? I don't know but Ferrell is a complete stud. Its just everyone is so mock draft crazy and he wasn't going top 10 in mocks and that's what people base it on. Kolton Miller was a reach, he was a raw prospect who should have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Ferrell is ready to go right now. I find it hilarious how these tweeter GMs say we could have gotten him in the 20's? really. Come on. Without counting Sweat who has the heart issue. All the edge rushers were gone by 16 when Panthers took Burns. Whatever, I fully support the pick.

• Like 1

Like the player, perfect fit for Guenthers defense, just don’t like the value.

Have to wonder whether Mayocks inexperience played a part. Was he worried that any trade down would be viewed negatively so stuck to the player in a position of need. I guess we will never know but seems like we could have played it better.  

I'm trying to remember how many posters said that they would be happy to pick up Ferrell at 4 if one of the then 'big 3' were gone if no decent trade was available. This was a while back prior to and around the time of the combine. I remember it being a fairly common opinion from at least a few posters at the time. Roll on a few weeks and it seems it is an unpopular or forgotten view.

I say this, because I was one of them, but I, like most was disappointed to hear his name called last night. Funny how it is so easy for your opinion on a player to be changed by the draft process.

45 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

How so? Dont see that at all.

I don't really either, I think his ceiling is a Jared Allen/Chandler Jones type of player. His floor is probably Jabaal Sheard-ish... The floor would mean hes a solid player, definitely has a place on a winning team, but not worthy of the number 4 pick. If he reaches his upside (I dont agree with some that he has zero chance of ever being elite) thats an all pro. Hes never going to win with crazy athleticism or bend around the edge, but he can certainly dominate tackles with his length, hand usage, strength, and understanding of how to set tackles up. The pick is growing on me. He should come in right away and be our best DE, almost by default but thats still what we needed..