Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
true2form

Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

@Humble_Beast Nowhere to be found today I see?

Cle is 22, hasn't filled out his frame. He's a hard worker and will get stronger this offseason. A KC fan compared him to Tamba Hali and I like that comparison. Tamba wasn't the flashiest player but produced in a big way. Only a couple seasons with 12+ sacks, but a consistent force for their defense. 

Don't you know he wanted Ferrell all along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Sorry but Gary showed nothing in college it beyond me how he was considered a first round pick.

How many Michigan games did you actually watch? Be honest... because I have a pretty good guess.

Gary was a good run defender. H/w/s player with a ton of potential, just didn't put it all together in college and they didn't find his best position. He only had 1 move at Michigan. He was drafted because his traits are off the charts and a good defensive coach will be able to bring them out.

My in-laws are Michigan grads, I've seen nearly every game since Harbaugh took over as coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How many Michigan games did you actually watch? Be honest... because I have a pretty good guess.

Gary was a good run defender. H/w/s player with a ton of potential, just didn't put it all together in college and they didn't find his best position. He only had 1 move at Michigan. He was drafted because his traits are off the charts and a good defensive coach will be able to bring them out.

My in-laws are Michigan grads, I've seen nearly every game since Harbaugh took over as coach

I been sports betting for almost 30 years I watch more games in a weekend than you watch in a month since I have satellite and a 12 television control room set up, so your guess would be garbage at best. He ain't the first guy with all the so called traits that bust. If anybody should have been able to bring it out of him and have him prepared for the NFL it's Harbaugh. If you watch so many of his games then you'd notice Winovich jumped out more every game. It's my opinion and wanted no part of him when they were saying the Raiders were looking at him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah he was one of his guys

Yea I think that was mock 13 out of 268 last year to be exact 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No denying Ferrell had a very good game on Thursday. That said, I'm still not loving his long term prospect of becoming a great player. He won't be playing against DII 3rd round pick backup tackle every week, but it's good to see when he does have a favorable matchup, he capitalizes.

He'll keep my quiet this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

No denying Ferrell had a very good game on Thursday. That said, I'm still not loving his long term prospect of becoming a great player. He won't be playing against DII 3rd round pick backup tackle every week, but it's good to see when he does have a favorable matchup, he capitalizes.

He'll keep my quiet this week.

Pretty much same. Not to rain on the parade but I'm still very much wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I been sports betting for almost 30 years I watch more games in a weekend than you watch in a month since I have satellite and a 12 television control room set up, so your guess would be garbage at best. He ain't the first guy with all the so called traits that bust. If anybody should have been able to bring it out of him and have him prepared for the NFL it's Harbaugh. If you watch so many of his games then you'd notice Winovich jumped out more every game. It's my opinion and wanted no part of him when they were saying the Raiders were looking at him.

I didn't know Winovich until I read about Gary, went to see the YouTube highlights and Winovich was a monster compared to Gary. Just the honest truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

No denying Ferrell had a very good game on Thursday. That said, I'm still not loving his long term prospect of becoming a great player. He won't be playing against DII 3rd round pick backup tackle every week, but it's good to see when he does have a favorable matchup, he capitalizes.

He'll keep my quiet this week.

This is how I feel.  Im still not high on him ever living up to his top 5 draft status, but it was nice to see him show something, albeit in an extremely favorable matchup. 2 of his 3.5 sacks this year have been coverage sacks but im still glad to see him make a play. Thats all us Cle "haters" have been begging to see is something. Dude was invisible for multiple games this year.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ferrell played great last night and he was one of my guys but at 24 not 4.  In reality I saw him some where in the middle.  Nice to see him have a good game.  Time to string together a few games and then some of us will start believing.  1 game does not mean much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Ferrell played great last night and he was one of my guys but at 24 not 4.  In reality I saw him some where in the middle.  Nice to see him have a good game.  Time to string together a few games and then some of us will start believing.  1 game does not mean much.

I think his value was somewhere between pick #12 and #17 but if you can't trade down and he is your guy then you just need to take him. Ultimately JaMarcus Russell was seen as someone "worth" a top 5 pick when he was drafted and we all know how that turned out. The proof of the pudding is not in the pre-draft evaluation reports and draft stock values but after 2-3 years of production or even their whole career.

I am not truly making the comparison with Mack because (a) Mack is a generational talent and it would be unfair to compare any rookie to him (even a top-5 pick) and (b) Mack did play a mixture of DE and LB. However, I have heard criticism of Ferrell because "he only had 1 sack" prior to the Chargers game but he is now only 0.5 sack behind Mack's rookie season. FTR I am not saying sacks is the be all and end all but it is a metric that gets kicked out regularly to erroneously define the success or otherwise of a DE. 

I think Ferrell will be a good piece for us and if in the fullness of time he proves he is the type of guy who should have been picked a bit lower, so what, better than the absolute busts we have had to endure previously like Russell, Gallery etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Pretty much same. Not to rain on the parade but I'm still very much wait and see.

As big of fan I am of Ferrell the media saying he has arrived is a bit much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Ferrell played great last night and he was one of my guys but at 24 not 4.  In reality I saw him some where in the middle.  Nice to see him have a good game.  Time to string together a few games and then some of us will start believing.  1 game does not mean much.

He actually had a solid game against Det and he built on that, hope he can keep improving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jerry said:

I didn't know Winovich until I read about Gary, went to see the YouTube highlights and Winovich was a monster compared to Gary. Just the honest truth.

I knew about them cause I watched the Michigan football tv special thing when mo was still there and I got interested in their defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

I think his value was somewhere between pick #12 and #17 but if you can't trade down and he is your guy then you just need to take him. Ultimately JaMarcus Russell was seen as someone "worth" a top 5 pick when he was drafted and we all know how that turned out. The proof of the pudding is not in the pre-draft evaluation reports and draft stock values but after 2-3 years of production or even their whole career.

I am not truly making the comparison with Mack because (a) Mack is a generational talent and it would be unfair to compare any rookie to him (even a top-5 pick) and (b) Mack did play a mixture of DE and LB. However, I have heard criticism of Ferrell because "he only had 1 sack" prior to the Chargers game but he is now only 0.5 sack behind Mack's rookie season. FTR I am not saying sacks is the be all and end all but it is a metric that gets kicked out regularly to erroneously define the success or otherwise of a DE. 

I think Ferrell will be a good piece for us and if in the fullness of time he proves he is the type of guy who should have been picked a bit lower, so what, better than the absolute busts we have had to endure previously like Russell, Gallery etc

I completely agree except with the settling part.  This is not the draft philosophy for everyone but it is mine.  I need to get value.  Ferrell at 4 was not good value because he had to many question marks for his low ceiling.  We needed to have a full athletic profile to see if what he did in college translated to the pros.  There are many successful college players that just can not succeed in the pros because they are physically out matched.  His tape did not look good from a speed standpoint and that is key.  My criticism does not mean he will not be a good player but a top 5 pick needs to have the ability to dominate even if they never reach their potential.  It is not about some players busting and some busting out.  It is about does the potential payoff outweigh the risk.  I believe Ferrell's low risk did not make up for his low ceiling at #4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×