Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

I'm trying to remember how many posters said that they would be happy to pick up Ferrell at 4 if one of the then 'big 3' were gone if no decent trade was available. This was a while back prior to and around the time of the combine. I remember it being a fairly common opinion from at least a few posters at the time. Roll on a few weeks and it seems it is an unpopular or forgotten view.

I say this, because I was one of them, but I, like most was disappointed to hear his name called last night. Funny how it is so easy for your opinion on a player to be changed by the draft process.

I'll own that. I might have been the first to support Ferrell. Even at 4. I'm personally happy because he is a stud. You're drafting a high floor player. 

It's easy to say trade back, but you need a trade partner. I would have rather seen Oliver or White picked and then traded up to land Ferrel. That was the value play.

In the end, I have no doubts he's going to grind for this team. It looks like a reach right now based on value. 3 years from now, who know. 

It is so easy to get lost in the draft twitter takes. Get caught up on sexy buzz words like "edge bending", etc. The only thing that made this pick sting was the perception the Raiders could have gotten him at 24. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'll own that. I might have been the first to support Ferrell. Even at 4. I'm personally happy because he is a stud. You're drafting a high floor player. 

It's easy to say trade back, but you need a trade partner. I would have rather seen Oliver or White picked and then traded up to land Ferrel. That was the value play.

In the end, I have no doubts he's going to grind for this team. It looks like a reach right now based on value. 3 years from now, who know. 

It is so easy to get lost in the draft twitter takes. Get caught up on sexy buzz words like "edge bending", etc. The only thing that made this pick sting was the perception the Raiders could have gotten him at 24. 

The perception.  I find it hard to believe however that he'd be there at 24.  And in the position we're in with edge guys, edge had to be the pick. So if you go Oliver or White at 4 (which I would have been okay with as well) you end up having to trade up to get your key need.  So would you rather get Ferrell at 4 and not trade up later to get him, or lose a 4th or second to move up to get him? 

• Like 1

I don’t think he gets out the top 10, to be honest, Rashan Gary went 12 and he’s nowhere near the player Ferrell is. Jax could also have went with him at 7. Value wise we may have been able to do a little better but at the end of the day we got our guy. Like Mayocks been preaching, foundational piece. We got a guy that’s going to be a huge upgrade at the biggest position of need on the roster. He’s going to come in stop the run and be a 7-10 sack kind of guy. Charles Johnson is the perfect comparison. 

6 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I'm on record saying Ferrell's game was similar to Mack and Mayock was one of the first ones to say Mack should be # 1 overall.

You should probably take it off record, they aren’t even close to similar players.  Mack is so fluid and smooth in his movements and he has so much power.  Ferrell isn’t nearly as fluid or powerful, but sets the edge well and has good length.  He also reads plays pretty well and gets a decent amount of TFLs.  It’s unfair to compare him to Mack, so I won’t, he would never live up to expectations if that was the case.

8 minutes ago, daineraider said:

You should probably take it off record, they aren’t even close to similar players.  Mack is so fluid and smooth in his movements and he has so much power.  Ferrell isn’t nearly as fluid or powerful, but sets the edge well and has good length.  He also reads plays pretty well and gets a decent amount of TFLs.  It’s unfair to compare him to Mack, so I won’t, he would never live up to expectations if that was the case.

I actually went to watch some of Ferrell's tape to see how he could possibly come up with a Mack comparison and I ended up depressed. 

Mack was a perfect prospect 😪

Say what you want about a reach, it very well may be. Fact is there was a top 4 to be chosen from behind Bosa: Allen, Sweat, Ferrell and Gary.  Bosa we didn't have a shot at getting. If you look up Post Season (Pre-Combine) rankings, these 4 are all littered around interchangeably. It isn't uncommon to find Ferrel in the top ten prospects, and top 2 or 3 pass rushers in many Pre Combine rankings. I don't think he fell as much as these others impressed in the combine and raised their value.  

When it comes to getting an edge rusher, you can make an easy argument that Ferrel could and should be chose above these other 3. Overreach? Maybe. But we got a top edge rusher in the draft, perhaps even the 2nd best edge rusher in the draft, time will tell how these 4 pan out. 

TBH, I was really high on him after the season, he was considered by many to be the 2nd best pass rusher. It was one of the curious things that kept popping up in my head as the offseason process started going, I noticed him dropping in the mock's and was curious as to why. I grew fond of many other prospects so didn't pay too much attention and just assumed there was a good reason for him dropping in many mocks. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Clelin-Ferrell-31469/high-school-51236/

for the 40 junkies like myself he ran a 4.7 flat coming out of hs 

Athletically he is closer to Zach Allen then he is Mack.  He is slow and not explosive and that is why he choose to not take part in certain drills.  That is also a reason why he would have fallen.  You should never judge a player based on the pre-draft process but you should not be okay with going without the athletic information either.  Ferrell would have run a 4.9-5 second forty which would have knocked him down so he made a good choice and we bought it.  Good for him sucks for us.  Just watch some games and you will see he is the least explosive member of that line.

For the person asking about who I would take at 4 my guy has been White outside the top 3 and have said I think he is a top 2 player if you ignore positional importance.

14 hours ago, holyghost said:

You Raider fans are schizo, just accept it. 

To be frank, I would have picked Oliver personally and more than anything wanted a trade out.

However, you complain if we reach on bad football athletes who don't perform. You complain about the Al Davis days. But every year you're clamoring for those guys again and again. These are not safe picks at all. I'm not even convinced Bosa is a safe pick considering his brother's injury history. And you're upset when we pick a solid unspectacular smart choice who is a solid scheme fit. Fit is how teams like Pitt and NE win. And how they draft. Not saying this is that. But I just think Raider fans are incredibly fickle. And want to win the draft desperately, but care less about what wins games over the subsequent years. 

I'm hoping we burned a top 5 pick on a permanent shift towards picking with a bottom half of the first round philosophy. Understand what I mean? It's a great pick for a playoff team, not for top 5. However, if we get to some miraculous place where we are a consistent playoff team this is exactly the philosophy to adopt. Boring, pedigree, fit, production. 

Build the team you want to be, then maybe they actually become it.

You’re right they’re crying about drafting the most dominant DE in college football.

6 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You’re right they’re crying about drafting the most dominant DE in college football.

I would not call him the most dominant and would say Allen outproduced him while being the focal point of opposing teams.  Ferrell was beating TEs 1v1 a lot because the other linemen commanded a lot of attention.

*2016 Clemson ACC FR DE 14 21 23 44 12.5 6.0 0 0   0 2 0     0
*2017 Clemson ACC SO DE 14 33 33 66 18.0 9.5 0 0   0 1 0     2
*2018 Clemson ACC JR DE 15 29 26 55 20.0 11.5 0 0   0 2 1   1

*2016 Kentucky SEC SO LB 13 32 30 62 8.5 7.0 0 0   0 0 0     4
*2017 Kentucky SEC JR LB 13 32 34 66 10.5 7.0 1 14 14.0 0 3 0     2
*2018 Kentucky SEC SR LB 13 56 32 88 21.5 17.0 0 0   0 4 2     5

Now I do not like going off of just stats but it is part of the evaluation.  I like both players but would have taken Allen over Ferrell.