Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

32 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I would not call him the most dominant and would say Allen outproduced him while being the focal point of opposing teams.  Ferrell was beating TEs 1v1 a lot because the other linemen commanded a lot of attention.

*2016 Clemson ACC FR DE 14 21 23 44 12.5 6.0 0 0   0 2 0     0
*2017 Clemson ACC SO DE 14 33 33 66 18.0 9.5 0 0   0 1 0     2
*2018 Clemson ACC JR DE 15 29 26 55 20.0 11.5 0 0   0 2 1   1

*2016 Kentucky SEC SO LB 13 32 30 62 8.5 7.0 0 0   0 0 0     4
*2017 Kentucky SEC JR LB 13 32 34 66 10.5 7.0 1 14 14.0 0 3 0     2
*2018 Kentucky SEC SR LB 13 56 32 88 21.5 17.0 0 0   0 4 2     5

Now I do not like going off of just stats but it is part of the evaluation.  I like both players but would have taken Allen over Ferrell.

He’s an OLB

58 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Athletically he is closer to Zach Allen then he is Mack.  He is slow and not explosive and that is why he choose to not take part in certain drills.  That is also a reason why he would have fallen.  You should never judge a player based on the pre-draft process but you should not be okay with going without the athletic information either.  Ferrell would have run a 4.9-5 second forty which would have knocked him down so he made a good choice and we bought it.  Good for him sucks for us.  Just watch some games and you will see he is the least explosive member of that line.

For the person asking about who I would take at 4 my guy has been White outside the top 3 and have said I think he is a top 2 player if you ignore positional importance.

Disagree I think cle is waaaaaaay more athletic than Zach I think cle is somewhere between Bosa and josh al in terms of speed and athleticism 

After the Nat'l Championship game, where he dominated the #11 over all pick on occasion you walked away saying, this dude is the real deal. 

The pre-draft process and draft twitter start the media hype machine for potential over production. Athletic testing over consistency and that's what leads to these reactions.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

After the Nat'l Championship game, where he dominated the #11 over all pick on occasion you walked away saying, this dude is the real deal. 

The pre-draft process and draft twitter start the media hype machine for potential over production. Athletic testing over consistency and that's what leads to these reactions.

One play isn't dominating. I haven't fully re-watched the matchup, but I remember hearing on some podcast that Jonah really won the day, but just not that play. Jonah himself said he tried to do something different to Clelin on that play and he felt completely comfortable one every other snap.

I've tried to get behind this pick and I just can't. I don't see anything special in the guy to warrant the #4 overall pick--especially with Josh Allen still on the board. This seems like a Guenther pick through and through.

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I also love hearing players and coaches talk about how he was the heart of that D. Everyone considered him the guy.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I would not call him the most dominant and would say Allen outproduced him while being the focal point of opposing teams.  Ferrell was beating TEs 1v1 a lot because the other linemen commanded a lot of attention.

*2016 Clemson ACC FR DE 14 21 23 44 12.5 6.0 0 0   0 2 0     0
*2017 Clemson ACC SO DE 14 33 33 66 18.0 9.5 0 0   0 1 0     2
*2018 Clemson ACC JR DE 15 29 26 55 20.0 11.5 0 0   0 2 1   1

*2016 Kentucky SEC SO LB 13 32 30 62 8.5 7.0 0 0   0 0 0     4
*2017 Kentucky SEC JR LB 13 32 34 66 10.5 7.0 1 14 14.0 0 3 0     2
*2018 Kentucky SEC SR LB 13 56 32 88 21.5 17.0 0 0   0 4 2     5

Now I do not like going off of just stats but it is part of the evaluation.  I like both players but would have taken Allen over Ferrell.

Yea, take the guy that doesn’t fit our defense. There’s no way Allen holds up as a 3 down DE in Guenthers defense. So, what pass up on a prototype 4-3 end, for a situational pass rusher? Everyone is talking about value, but then ask them what they would have done and they say take a OLB or MLB lol wtf 

37 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Disagree I think cle is waaaaaaay more athletic than Zach I think cle is somewhere between Bosa and josh al in terms of speed and athleticism 

Not even close.  What he does works well in the college game but his pass rush is more like LeVeon Bell type efficiency.  Ferrell is not athletic or explosive but efficient.  He makes very few missteps.  I define Ferrell game as "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".  I think Ferrell will be that guy that plays the run great, gets a ton of pressures but very rarely gets to the QB.  He will be a great base end but I do not take a base end top five unless I think he is going to get 8-12 sacks per year.  You do not need to watch full games of Ferrell to tell he is not explosive or athletic.  His teammates jump off the page in his highlights more than he does.  There is a reason why he did not run a 40 for anyone.  It was a smart move on his part but stupid for us.  For a player that is explosive on tape I do not need to see a 40 except for my curiosity but a player like Ferrell I definitely want to see his athletic numbers.  He looked slow in drills at the combine. 

https://footballmaven.io/nfldraftscout/news/troubling-results-at-clemson-pro-day-could-play-big-role-in-2019-nfl-draft-oYq80PRp4kGsA0mh_Ilsug/

"Ferrell had run some of the timed drills at the Combine but he did not perform particularly well in the short shuttle (4.40, tied for 7th among 15 edge rushers tested in this event) and 3-cone drill (7.26 seconds, 11th of 16 tested) and has yet to run a 40-yard dash for scouts."

48 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Bravo!

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Yea, take the guy that doesn’t fit our defense. There’s no way Allen holds up as a 3 down DE in Guenthers defense. So, what pass up on a prototype 4-3 end, for a situational pass rusher? Everyone is talking about value, but then ask them what they would have done and they say take a OLB or MLB lol wtf 

Take Allen play him at SLB in base and edge on passing downs.  If he develops then bring him down to a full time DE like we did Mack.  You do realize that Allen and Ferrell are the same size.  The 2 lb difference is just in the hands.  If you want to stop Mahomes you need players that can catch him.  White, Allen, and Sweat had that closing burst.  Ferrell does not.  It sure will be fun watching PM just jog away from him out of the pocket with his eyes downfield knowing he does not have to worry about being hit.  The other guys would have forced him to get rid of it early because he would not know when the backside pressure would get there.  That is the difference you need to see in the UnderArmor/Underwear Olympics.  

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Take Allen play him at SLB in base and edge on passing downs.  If he develops then bring him down to a full time DE like we did Mack.  You do realize that Allen and Ferrell are the same size.  The 2 lb difference is just in the hands.  If you want to stop Mahomes you need players that can catch him.  White, Allen, and Sweat had that closing burst.  Ferrell does not.  It sure will be fun watching PM just jog away from him out of the pocket with his eyes downfield knowing he does not have to worry about being hit.  The other guys would have forced him to get rid of it early because he would not know when the backside pressure would get there.  That is the difference you need to see in the UnderArmor/Underwear Olympics.  

Dude they had Allen and Ferrell in the building on the same day and came away liking Ferrell. If you think any DL can catch Mahomes you way off, you have to contain him and give him nowhere to go.

Edited by raidr4life