Pick is in, #4 Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson

true2form

10 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Yea, take the guy that doesn’t fit our defense. There’s no way Allen holds up as a 3 down DE in Guenthers defense. So, what pass up on a prototype 4-3 end, for a situational pass rusher? Everyone is talking about value, but then ask them what they would have done and they say take a OLB or MLB lol wtf 

It is a chess match.  I need players that can produce but also players that can confine your players.  Whites athletic ability limits what a scrambling QB can do.  Why do you think Vick made so many defenses look silly when he took off.  They needed multiple players to contain him.  If I have Burufict trying to contain Mahomes he can just run around him to extend the play and pick up positive yardage.  White cuts off Mahomes ability to turn up field and even makes it difficult for Mahomes to get to the sideline therefore limiting the time he has to make a play.  I want players that can limit what your players want to do.  Those are the types you draft top five.  A player that can limit your guys by himself and not need help.  That is why I take White over Ferrell.  I did not even need to know that Sweat would be available at 24.

4 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Dude they had Allen and Ferrell in the building on the same day and came away liking Ferrell. If you think any DL can catch Mahomes you way off, you have to contain him and give him nowhere to go.

Sweat can catch Mahomes.  He is just going to run away from Ferrell and Burufict.  Sorry.  Abram and Joseph will come up to force him out of bounds after he picks up 8-12 yards.  Good job D.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

After the Nat'l Championship game, where he dominated the #11 over all pick on occasion you walked away saying, this dude is the real deal. 

The pre-draft process and draft twitter start the media hype machine for potential over production. Athletic testing over consistency and that's what leads to these reactions.

You can’t coach athleticism. Ferrell’s explosiveness off the line, bend, and closing speed were the worst of the 1st round DE prospects, which will limit his ability to dominate at the next level.

Just now, LVRaiders99 said:

You can’t coach athleticism. Ferrell’s explosiveness off the line, bend, and closing speed were the worst of the 1st round DE prospects, which will limit his ability to dominate at the next level.

I don't think his get off the line is bad. It's his bend that isn't ideal.

Ferrell is a better scheme fit for the defense. Bottom line. The Raiders need a pass rusher more than anything and i highly doubt that he would have been there at 24. Every team was taking linemen. Trading up sounds good in theory but who knows what the price would have been to move up. Picks are important because the Raiders need talent. So departing with them might not be in the best interest. Ferrell will be fine on this team he doesn’t have to be Mack 2.0 he just needs to be a piece of a stout defense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chali21 said:

Ferrell is a better scheme fit for the defense. Bottom line. The Raiders need a pass rusher more than anything and i highly doubt that he would have been there at 24. Every team was taking linemen. Trading up sounds good in theory but who knows what the price would have been to move up. Picks are important because the Raiders need talent. So departing with them might not be in the best interest. Ferrell will be fine on this team he doesn’t have to be Mack 2.0 he just needs to be a piece of a stout defense. 

I agree and that's why I support the pick. I'll just be disappointed if we can Paul G in the next year or two and passed on a better overall player just to accommodate a current scheme. You never know, maybe he'll be our DC for the next decade. 

4 minutes ago, LVRaiders99 said:

But his production against quality players showed a lot. He showed he could hang and beat those guys. 

While it’s true you can’t coach athleticism. Sometimes you can’t harness that athleticism. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't think his get off the line is bad. It's his bend that isn't ideal.

I think his reaction off the snap is what makes his get off look better then it actually is. But I didn’t say it was bad. He’s athletic enough to be good, but not athletic enough to be dominant. 

47 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It is a chess match.  I need players that can produce but also players that can confine your players.  Whites athletic ability limits what a scrambling QB can do.  Why do you think Vick made so many defenses look silly when he took off.  They needed multiple players to contain him.  If I have Burufict trying to contain Mahomes he can just run around him to extend the play and pick up positive yardage.  White cuts off Mahomes ability to turn up field and even makes it difficult for Mahomes to get to the sideline therefore limiting the time he has to make a play.  I want players that can limit what your players want to do.  Those are the types you draft top five.  A player that can limit your guys by himself and not need help.  That is why I take White over Ferrell.  I did not even need to know that Sweat would be available at 24.

We take a MLB, and still have a gaping hole at DE and even more predictable with our next picks. More than likely needing to trade up to avoid getting jumped. 

I like building the trenches, and making sure we’re stable upfront. 

Yep back in January, and Early February, myself, @big_palooka, @raidr4life, and at least 3-4 others wanted Ferrell at 4. He’s a great EDGE Defender and I’ve been on record too many times saying he’ll be a better Brandon Graham. Graham was #3 in Run Defense, #3 in Pressures in 2018, and PFFs Top 50 for six years in a row. 

As the draft season goes by you look for more flashy picks for pick 4, human nature. But Ferrell is 100% legit Top 10 Prospect. 

• Like 2